PDA

View Full Version : Flatening and preserving rolled prints

venchka
5-Jan-2009, 14:02
Y'all have been so much help lately I thought I would ask another question.

Over the holidays I unearthed all of my negatives and prints from my previous life as a wannabe photographer.

Included in the find were 6 long lost aerial photos that my dad took from his B-29 over Japan and Korea in 1950-1951. These are 10x20 contact prints from 9x18 aerial film. They have probably been rolled since new. They have faded, I am guessing, from hasty fixing and washing. I would like to frame one or two. Unfortunately, the most faded is an oblique photo taken in 1950 of the Imperial Grounds in Tokyo. The others are from a single mission in March, 1951 over North Korea. They were taken a few minutes apart from 20,000 feet. Lat. & Long. and the geographical location are handwritten on each negative.

What can I do to flatten them? What can I do to prevent further deterioration?

Thanks for all of your help.

Wayne

Ash
5-Jan-2009, 14:10
Wayne why don't you re-photograph them or scan them and try to digitally restore the images somewhat?

I might be wrong here - using a dry mount press will flatten the images however depending on their vintage and stock you might cause more damage if it is brittle from age??

venchka
5-Jan-2009, 14:13
That is a good idea that crossed my mind. I don't own a scanner long enough. I may be able to locate a service in Houston that could make the scan for me.

At the moment, the photos are lying flat on a table under a pile of mail order catalogs. I am wondering if re-washing them and drying them flat might help?

Ash
5-Jan-2009, 14:23
I would have thought a re-fix and wash would help but since the stuff is so old I'd be afraid of doing more damage. I'd have the thought in the back of my mind of the image bleaching more or washing off!!

Washing and drying flat would have been my first thought if the prints were modern.

Mark Woods
5-Jan-2009, 14:23
I would think that you should re-wash them, perhaps re-fix them, then the brittleness shouldn't be an issue. You might contact the Getty Archivist and see what s/he says.

MW

Jim Bradley
5-Jan-2009, 14:38
There's someone over at APUG, PE (aka Ron), who worked at Kodak for years and before that was in the US Air Force. He might be able to give you reliable directions regarding restoration etc.
JGB

dsphotog
5-Jan-2009, 14:41
My advice, BEFORE you re-fix & wash, just in case the process does any damage, shoot a copy neg. (on the largest format possible). AND scan them in overlaping sections, they can be stitched together & restored in your computer.

bob carnie
5-Jan-2009, 14:49
I would not rewash.
advise above is good , first off scan or digital capture the original and get guidance from a print restorer as to the best way to salvage the original print.
but do not rewash at this stage a very good likelyhood of damaging the print.

Toyon
5-Jan-2009, 17:08
Your getting a lot of bad advice. You can't refix an old print.. it won't do any good. There are paper restorators/curators who know how to deal with this kind of stuff professionally. Contact a local museum for a reference or find books detailing this kind of work.

venchka
19-Jan-2009, 08:33
Thanks everyone. I apologize for not thanking everyone sooner. Based on the good advice above, I think I shall do nothing to the prints. I'll pick the best 1 or 2, probably the oblique shot of the Palace grounds in Tokyo for sure, and have them matted and framed. They've lasted almost 60 years neglected. Getting them flat under acid free matts and behind glass should help them outlive me.

Thanks again!

Wayne