PDA

View Full Version : Flying & Film

Andy Simpson
4-Jan-2009, 14:29
Hi all, I am planning a trip to the BC coast and will want to take my lg format with me. Can anyone advise how to best transport sheet film throught airport security without getting it damaged from any x ray or screening equipment?
Thanks
Andy

jeroldharter
4-Jan-2009, 14:47
I just leave it in the film boxes and pass with through the hand luggage x-ray machine. Likewise with loaded film holders. If I have boxes with exposed film, I tape them shut and mark them "Exposed."

Obviously, don't put your film in checked baggage or the machines will fog the film.

Louie Powell
4-Jan-2009, 15:00
I concur with Jerold - the low profile approach is best.

I carry unexposed film in a box in a carry-on bag. On the return trip, exposed film goes into other boxes that also go into that carry on bag - and marked "Exposed Film - Open Only in TOTAL Darkness" in big red letters. The boxes are all taped closed to prevent them from opening by accident and to cause someone to have to stop and think before opening them. And everything goes through the carry-on x-ray scanner.

Oh, and be pleasant to the screeners - they are doing an important job. It's not their fault that they haven't been properly trained to do it.

Andy Simpson
4-Jan-2009, 15:04
Thanks guys, appriciate your comments. I just thought that the scanners even in the carry on areas would damage the film however it appears that this is not the case. I will follow your directions and I am always nice to the security folks as they have a tough job to start with!
Thanks again!:)

Gordon Moat
4-Jan-2009, 15:28
If you are using ISO 100 films, then you should be okay for several passes through the check-in scanners. If using ISO 400 or higher films, or intending to push process, then you might want to ask about getting your film hand checked. However, with hand checking, it is a good idea to avoid any situation in which the screener might need to open a box of film; this is largely why I stick with Quickload and Readyload when traveling.

If you are super worried about it, then FedEX your film to your destination, and FedEx it back. You could also test using Instant film (Fuji or Polaroid) of ISO 100 speed, and see if any fogging shows up on the Instant exposure; if the Instant film is okay, then your regular film should be fine (don't try this with ISO 3000 Instant film, it will definitely fog in the check-in scanner).

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Fred L
5-Jan-2009, 07:15
Alberta to BC shouldn't be a problem for 400 speed. Last Jan I flew Toronto>Fort Mac>Edmonton>Thunder Bay>Toronto>Nova Scotia and back to Toronto and all sheets, exposed and unexposed, survived passenger security scans.

B.S.Kumar
5-Jan-2009, 08:16
In Beijing there are x-ray scanners in the subway stations as well! I flew from Osaka to Beijing to Kunming and back, and I was able to get my 120 film hand-checked. Very polite people everywhere.

Kumar

walter23
5-Jan-2009, 16:25
I just leave it in the film boxes and pass with through the hand luggage x-ray machine. Likewise with loaded film holders. If I have boxes with exposed film, I tape them shut and mark them "Exposed."

Obviously, don't put your film in checked baggage or the machines will fog the film.

You can request a "hand inspection" but make sure they understand that if they want to look inside an x-ray is a better idea. With a hand inspection they check for chemical residues to make sure it's nothing unpleasant, but I suppose you run the risk of damage if someone decides to open it. I don't think x-rays have damaged any of my film although I am a bit suspicious of a box of efke IR that seems to have fogging in one corner on every sheet (may have been something else, though, as the film was never tested before flying).

L&Scape
6-Jan-2009, 03:55
If you are using ISO 100 films, then you should be okay for several passes through the check-in scanners. If using ISO 400 or higher films, or intending to push process, then you might want to ask about getting your film hand checked.

Here is an example what happened to ISO 100 when I bought 50pcs pack of 8x10 Ektachrome from a photo store in the US and put the unopened pack in my luggage. All the slides were destroyded with six X-rays. Mostly visible in the blue and green.

Henry Valtonen, Helsinki

Louie Powell
6-Jan-2009, 04:54
Here is an example what happened to ISO 100 when I bought 50pcs pack of 8x10 Ektachrome from a photo store in the US and put the unopened pack in my luggage. All the slides were destroyded with six X-rays. Mostly visible in the blue and green.

Henry Valtonen, Helsinki

Was that your CHECKED luggage or your CARRYON luggage.

There is no argument that the x-rays used for CHECKED luggage will damage film - in one pass. But the general consensus is that if the machines used to scan CARRYON luggage are properly calibrated, they won't damage film.

Jim Michael
6-Jan-2009, 05:23
X-ray exposure is cumulative. If you plan to send your film through a number of times putting it in a lead bag should mitigate the risk somewhat.

Brian K
6-Jan-2009, 07:58
X-ray exposure is cumulative. If you plan to send your film through a number of times putting it in a lead bag should mitigate the risk somewhat.

It's true that x-ray exposure is cumulative however a lead bag only helps you during the time the film spends in high altitude, during which there is a greater exposure of your film, and you, to cosmic radiation. On the ground though if the security screeners can not see through the lead bag they will open your luggage and inspect the film box. This could mean that they might open the box and expose the film.

When it comes to flying with film today you need to do a little planning. You need to see how many flights you'll be taking, if any lay overs will require you to go through security again, and also consider how much time the film will spend in high altitude. If flying in the US you can get your film hand checked. This is usually pretty easy with roll film, LF film might require x ray if the security personnel are not satisfied with just swabbing the box. I have found so far that 1 or 2 x-rayings have not done any damage.

Shipping via fedex seems to be the safest route, although if the exposed film is valuable there will certainly be anxiety untlil the film is back in your hands.

David A. Goldfarb
6-Jan-2009, 08:36
I've used the lead bags and have found that more than half the time inspectors won't check what's in the bag, if they can see clearly that it's with a lot of camera equipment. For better or worse, they seem comfortable assuming that it's a lead bag with film in it.

That said, a better strategy that I've found is just to keep the film in a separate (non-lead) bag from the camera equipment, because they might want to X-ray the camera bag a second time from a different angle rather than inspect it by hand, and if the film is in the camera bag, it gets a second dose of X-rays. I've never had the separate film bag X-rayed twice.

I generally try to avoid hand inspections, because I don't want TSA inspectors handling my equipment or my film. X-rays are less of a hazard.

Jim Michael
6-Jan-2009, 18:09
Re Brian's point re shielding from radiation at altitude, I took some measurements this past October on a flight from ATL to BMI. The background count on the ground at the time was measuring about 35 cpm* and was ca. 700 cpm at altitude (about 35k feet), as measured with a calibrated radiation monitor.

*cpm=counts per minute

Andrew O'Neill
6-Jan-2009, 18:58
Before x-raying it, take the film boxes out of your carry on bag and lay them on the conveyor belt side-by-side. I've done it this way on several occasions with no noticeable problems even when the film was passed through xray several times. That's going in and out of Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, Australia, UK.

sanking
7-Jan-2009, 15:55
I have traveled by air quite a lot over the past decade, both domestically and internationally, and have never had film damaged by sending it through the screener for carry on bags. My procedure is pretty much same as that of David. I carry the film on board, either in a separate bag or with the camera equipment, and simply send it through the scanner. Interestingly, the film, especially MF roll film, usually gets more attention than the camera equipment because most screeners don't recognize what it is.

My advice is to never ask for hand inspection of your film because the risks are much greater than the gain. Chances are extremely remote that the screener for carry on luggage will do any damage to your film, but chances that a TSA inspector will damage it are much greater.

Some people advise that you ship the film by FedEx and pick it up at your destination. My assessment of the risks involved is that my film is always safer when it travels with me than when it travels by itself.

Sandy King

I've used the lead bags and have found that more than half the time inspectors won't check what's in the bag, if they can see clearly that it's with a lot of camera equipment. For better or worse, they seem comfortable assuming that it's a lead bag with film in it.

That said, a better strategy that I've found is just to keep the film in a separate (non-lead) bag from the camera equipment, because they might want to X-ray the camera bag a second time from a different angle rather than inspect it by hand, and if the film is in the camera bag, it gets a second dose of X-rays. I've never had the separate film bag X-rayed twice.

I generally try to avoid hand inspections, because I don't want TSA inspectors handling my equipment or my film. X-rays are less of a hazard.

Terry Hayden
8-Jan-2009, 10:26
I'm trvelling to New Zealand later this month.

As part of preparations, I had some back and forth with N.Z. customs on
their import duties on film if it isshipped via fed-x. At one point I mentioned that
one of the reasons for shipping it was that it would avoid the airport x-rays.

Their response was that Fed-x has to x-ray any package that they are bringing
into the country anyway.

Does anyone have any feedback on how strong the x-raying that fed-x does winds
up being?

Also, I was informed that if I carry it on it will be scanned before boarding and
at some sort of agricultural station upon arrival.

Thanks,
Terry
www.terryhayden.com

Gordon Moat
10-Jan-2009, 13:36

Henry Valtonen, Helsinki

I had similar damage with Kodak P1600 shot at ISO 3200 in the past, and once with ISO 400 film. This is the first I have seen with ISO 100 films.

It might be helpful to elaborate more on storage: film in holders, or in foil bags; which airports (machines out of calibration); shipping method used for the film from the original store. Thanks in advance.

Ciao!

jordanstarr
30-Jan-2009, 16:01
Andy...

I've done a flight from Alberta to Toronto and had ruined some sheets and rolls of 400 Tri-x even though I had it in a lead film x-ray bag. I recommend just buying film while you're down there and then ship it back. Don't take a chance on it. I've had lots of "great" photos destroyed through x-rays even though I took the necessary precautions. Just my two cents. I'll never fly with film again I think. But just for some added precautions you might want to slip by The Classic Camera Exchange store in Edmonton at 12518 118 Avenue. I've seen some bags there that should hold a 50-sheet box of film and you can get them for under $5 a piece probably.

What you can do is just get them to "hand inspect" it at the entrance gate. I've taken plenty of 120 film through this way and just told them that I was "pushing it to 800iso" so they wouldn't scan it. I find this method has worked the best for me, especially when they see all my camera gear and realize that I'm a fairly serious film photographer.

...Jordan.

sanking
2-Feb-2009, 20:20
The current TSA recommendations for flying with film can be found here.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1035.shtm

The document states.

"The X-ray machine that screens your carry-on baggage at the passenger security checkpoint will not affect undeveloped film under ASA/ISO 800.

If the same roll of film is exposed to X-ray inspections more than 5 times before it is developed, it is possible that damage may occur. Protect your film by requesting a hand-inspection for your film if it has already passed through the carry-on baggage X-ray screening equipment more than five times."

I have personally flown more than 200 times during the last decade, both domestically and abroad (to Europe, South America and Asia), always carrying roll film and sheet film of ASA 800 or less. If I were to total the number of rolls and sheet that have gone through the carry on screeners it would be in the tens of thousands. In many cases the film has on one trip alone gone through the screeners 10-12 times. Yet I have never seen one damaged roll of film or sheet of film that could be attributed to damage from the screeners.

I never ask for a hand inspection because my opinion is that the risks of a person damaging my film are much greater than sending it through the screener. Note this. "If your film cannot be cleared by X-ray inspection, or you desire to have it inspected by hand, you may be required to open the box, canister, or wrapper so our Security Officer can inspect it." Now, do you really want to open that box of 5X7 sheet film that has a couple of hundred sheets of exposed film for the TSA officer to inspect?

Of course, *never* put film in the checked baggage.

Sandy King

james zhou
12-Feb-2009, 14:00
I took a small hand bag full of mixed films, 120, 4x5 to China last year and asked for hand check. There were three change overs, and each time, they were kind enough to do this. I think if you pack the film in a separate bag and ask them politely, they will be very helpful. IN the past I have sent film through carry-on X-ray and never had a problem.

Chris C
17-Feb-2009, 02:58
I just recently came back from a trip to Nepal where my film went through no less than 14 x-rays (one of which was this incredibly old looking thing at Kathmandu's domestic terminal). I was mostly shooting HP5, and there's not a single sign of any damage to the film. I was going to ask for hand inspection the whole trip, but after getting denied with my first two requests, I just couldn't be bothered any more and the film came through perfect.
I've given up worrying about carry-on x-rays these days.

Tim Meisburger
17-Feb-2009, 07:20
Well, I was in Indonesia over the Christmas holiday, and ruined every sheet of film I shot going through x-ray. Don't be foolish like me and assume that modern machines don't fog. ask fora hand check, or put your film in a lead bag.

sanking
17-Feb-2009, 08:49
Could you explain what you mean by "ruined" and perhaps show some examples of how the film was damaged?

Sandy King

Well, I was in Indonesia over the Christmas holiday, and ruined every sheet of film I shot going through x-ray. Don't be foolish like me and assume that modern machines don't fog. ask fora hand check, or put your film in a lead bag.

BrianShaw
17-Feb-2009, 09:40
Was that your CHECKED luggage or your CARRYON luggage.

There is no argument that the x-rays used for CHECKED luggage will damage film - in one pass. But the general consensus is that if the machines used to scan CARRYON luggage are properly calibrated, they won't damage film.

That looks like CT damage. I'll bet that he put it in checked baggage. A good example of someone who didn't do his homework and then tells horror stories to spread misinformation.

BrianShaw
17-Feb-2009, 09:55
Could you explain what you mean by "ruined" and perhaps show some examples of how the film was damaged?

Here is the standard against which you can evalaute the response to your question, if you ever get a response:

http://www.i3a.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/i3afilmxraytestreport.pdf

There is an accompanying i3a report about CT damage, but that threat/damage is so obvious I won't spend the time to attach the report.

Jim Michael
19-Feb-2009, 05:34
In the referenced report the results are all over the place: 120 400 B&w showed "Slight banding at 5 passes", 135 ISO 1600 "No observed results", etc. This was a test of a specific machine (Rapidscan). It's certainly plausible that the radiation strength may vary widely between countries and that Indonesia has different standards than other countries. I have personally seen film damaged by X-ray exposure, although I don't specifically recall any 400 film damage; I think the 1600 stuff was the main culprit. That was several years ago and I'm sure the sensor technology has improved since then. However nothing is going to change the physics involved: film is sensitive to light; x-rays are light; nothing is going to stop the x-rays. It's only a question of exposure.

Re exposure, they note in their test report "Dosage: 0.3mR as measured by dosimeter on sight." (sic) That dosage number is useful since one could take field measurements of various machines with a radiation meter and determine what the actual dosage being used is compared to the test exposure.

Normal background radiation varies, but a typical number might be .02 mR/hour. Multiply that by 10 or so if you're in an airliner at 35k feet so the previous comment re the exposure being less than you might be exposed to at altitude sounds about right when compared to these published dosage numbers.