PDA

View Full Version : Calumet 6x7 rollfilm holder

venchka
4-Jan-2009, 09:41
I am seriously thinking of buying this...

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=44401

Will this holder work in my Zone VI field camera? The camera does NOT have a Graflok/international back. Will it fit under the ground glass? I also have a Speed Graphic. I'm sure the holder will work on the S.G. I would really like a holder that works on both cameras. The one for sale here is in my budget.

Thanks!

Gem Singer
4-Jan-2009, 10:08
Wayne,

The Calumet 6X7 rollfilm holder will work on your Zone VI, as well as your Speed Graphic.

it slides under the ground glass, just like a 4X5 cut film holder.

It's a little tricky to load and unload film into it, but for $40 you can't go wrong.

Wm Blunt
4-Jan-2009, 10:10
That roll film holder will be really tight and put a lot of strain on the back springs. I have one and tried it on my Wisner, too snug!
Others may have different experiences. If you do use it I would make sure to have a ground glass protector in place.

venchka
4-Jan-2009, 11:40
Hmmmmmmmm...Thanks! Pondering.

Gem Singer
4-Jan-2009, 12:16
The Calumet roll film holder is slightly thicker than a cut film holder. However, it is uniform thickness. it doesn't have protrusions that will contact the ground glass. Most rollfilm backs are much thicker and require the complete removal of the ground glass before they can be utilized. They are too bulky to easily slide under the ground glass and are usually held in place with sliders.

The Calumet rollfilm holder is useful if you occasionally want to use less expensive color roll film in a 4X5 camera.

However, the Zone VI and the Speed Graphic were designed to be used for 4X5 cut film. If you plan on shooting a lot of 6X7 120 roll film, use a camera that is specifically designed for the purpose.

venchka
4-Jan-2009, 14:17
Thanks, Eugene. I have a dedicated 6x7 camera. I have a ton of 120 & 220 C-41 film. However, I have some really nice lenses that won't work on the big Pentax. There are times when I would prefer to only carry a 4x5 camera. There are times when I encounter a subject that needs color. Hence, I would like to have a roll film back.

I don't know how deep the Calumet holder is. I do know that my Grafmatic holder is a very tight fit on the Zone VI. The Grafmatic doesn't seal on the Zone VI. I have the lightstruck negatives to prove it. Others have reported the same problem.

I suppose the thing for me to do is either give up on a roll film holder entirely or start saving my money for a Linhof holder for the Speed Graphic.

Thanks once more for all the help. I do appreciate it.

Cheers!

Wayne

ImSoNegative
4-Jan-2009, 14:17
I have one of those, that is a very good price, I paid almost 100.00 for mine. it fits my toyo gII very well. my other view camera which is a c400 the c2n film holder is way to snug. good luck

Gem Singer
4-Jan-2009, 14:41
Wayne,

The Grafmatic holder was designed to be held in place by means of Graflock sliders. Conversely, Graflock sliders were designed to hold the Grafmatic film holder in place.

The Calumet roll film holder was designed to slip under the ground glass like a standard cut film holder. That's what made it so unique. The only criticism I heard about it was that it's slim design required the film to make a severe bend inside of the holder.

Great piece of gear to have in your kit for that ocasional color shot with your 4X5 camera.

venchka
4-Jan-2009, 15:18
OK, next time maybe I won't procrastinate for 8 hours. Missed the holder for sale here.