PDA

View Full Version : lens shade for big LF lens..

sgelb
3-Jan-2009, 21:34
I need a lens shade that will fit a schneider symmar-s 360mm lens. any reccomendations out there? make your own from cardboard is what I am leaning towards..

John Kasaian
3-Jan-2009, 23:03
There is some thick black foil you can use----I don't know the name of the product but it is well known among professional 'togs.

Of course you could simmply get one that's made for your lens---"round up the usual suspects" and see what a used shade is going for.

FWIW I usually use my hat or a dark slide :)

erie patsellis
3-Jan-2009, 23:09
If you use a Sinar, the 360 front element can be shoehorned into a bellows to use as a compendium shade, tilt the bellows in front of the lens and it becomes pretty obvious. It barely fits, and I find that using the DB mounted version is easier, but it's probably the best option on a Sinar at least.

vinny
3-Jan-2009, 23:27
collapsable rubber lens shades on ebay. I get the 82mm sized ones that screw on for about 14 bucks. They extend out for longer lenses or fold back for short ones.

Songyun
4-Jan-2009, 00:20
collapsable rubber lens shades on ebay. I get the 82mm sized ones that screw on for about 14 bucks. They extend out for longer lenses or fold back for short ones.

but for symmar-s 360mm, the filter size is huge, i don't think it is easy to find such a rubber shade.

Aender Brepsom
4-Jan-2009, 02:38
Wouldn't some kind of a wiggly worm be on option? See here: http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=1203&PT_ID=309

As a bonus, you could use it for other lenses too. Costs next to nothing.

jb7
4-Jan-2009, 04:43
collapsable rubber lens shades on ebay.

Be careful of vignetting-
they can extend off the filter ring a lot-

j

mikebarger
4-Jan-2009, 09:21
I use my darkslide. :)

Mike

Robert A. Zeichner
4-Jan-2009, 09:58
http://web.mac.com/razeichner/iWeb/RAZP%20large%20pix/Shade%20pg%201.html

This article might give you some ideas.

mikebarger
4-Jan-2009, 10:06
Interesting article

Mike

cjbroadbent
4-Jan-2009, 16:26
Lee filter compendium fits and lasts a lifetime. Cokin Modular Bellows for up to 62diameter. Both take rectangular filters.

sgelb
4-Jan-2009, 21:25
web says the lens is 120mm size.. i cant find anything on the lee page on whether this fits or what..

Songyun
4-Jan-2009, 23:02
web says the lens is 120mm size.. i cant find anything on the lee page on whether this fits or what..

that's my point, all the ppl suggesting lee or rubber lens hood, it doesn't work well with this huge lens.

I am looking for the same thing for my 360 Rodenstock.

cjbroadbent
5-Jan-2009, 06:02
Right. Lee goes up to 105mm. Has to do with the size of the filters. see:
http://www.leefilters.com/camera/products/finder/page:2/ref:C475678743F577/
Try Heliopan. They do larger glass filters and have a compendium.

cjbroadbent
5-Jan-2009, 06:11
Sorry, Heliopan, not Heliar.

Michael Jones
5-Jan-2009, 10:43
Because of the lens' size, I always used my dark slide. If I had been smarter, I would have adapted either the Ebony or Delta "flexible arm" to hold it instead of standing parallel with the lens to watch & make sure I was casting a shadow appropriately. Unfortunately, sometimes I would cut off the bottom or side of an image.

Mike

Vaughn
5-Jan-2009, 11:17
I once had or saw directions/pattern for making one's own lens shade. It was based on the angle of view (if I am using the right term) of the lens. It was a fairly old set of instructions -- wish I could track it down.

Vaughn

Michael -- same here.

Vick Vickery
5-Jan-2009, 14:49
For a lens this large, I wonder if a set of barndoors from an electronic flash couldn't be adapted as a shade???

cjbroadbent
5-Jan-2009, 15:48
For a lens this large, I wonder if a set of barndoors from an electronic flash couldn't be adapted as a shade???
Shouldn't have flat sides. Should be corrugated. Flat sides reflect the extraneous light right into the lens.

Steve M Hostetter
5-Jan-2009, 16:28
I made a hood out of leather which is open at one end with a velcro snap raps around the neck of the lens and sticks out in a flared position to the front element.. Made for a 210mm f8 SA
I still have it and will sell it for what I got in it which is about 20 bucks

Robert A. Zeichner
5-Jan-2009, 16:43
Okay, maybe a photo will give you an idea. If you have a gg with clipped corners, it's real easy to adjust to avoid vignetting. I use it all the time.