PDA

View Full Version : Canon Brochure Pricing Question

ViewCameraNut
2-Jan-2009, 18:17
I was contacted by a reputable company who is designing the new Canon brochure in Europe. They would like to use an image of mine in it. I haven't had a sale like this one yet and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. Here is part of the email sent to me with the pertinent questions. Thanks, Mike Cable.

I work at an Amsterdam based agency, called Twofish and am currently working on a new Canon EOS brochure. We are in search of photos to use in the brochure and we came across your photos. We are mainly interested in your photo 'Sandbar Abstract #1'. It fits our brochure concept perfectly.

Would you be interested in selling your photos to us?

If so, I have a few questions I would need to have an answer to:

* What would be the costs for using your photos inside a Canon brochure that is being used in the EMEA area - printrun 100.000?
* What would be the costs for the usage rights of the photos for all Canon deliverables concerning print, web and in-store promotions for two years in the EMEA area?

www.pbase.com/jakeyferret/f32

Gem Singer
2-Jan-2009, 18:19
Did you shoot it with a Canon camera?

ViewCameraNut
2-Jan-2009, 18:22
Canon is all I use in Digital and 35mm, so I'm covered :)

www.pbase.com/jakeyferret/f32

Charles Carstensen
2-Jan-2009, 18:46
Editorial Photographers has a calculator. Join up, well worth the small cost.

http://www.editorialphoto.com

ViewCameraNut
2-Jan-2009, 18:48
Thank you Charles, I will have a look at it. All the best, Mike C.

QT Luong
2-Jan-2009, 19:37
All stock photography sites, including Getty Images, Corbis, and Alamy, have Right Managed price calculators.

Scott Knowles
2-Jan-2009, 19:43
Cool photo (http://www.pbase.com/jakeyferret/image/92527759). Do you have an interest in adding some Canon equipment? I know some folks who have "sold" images to them exchanged the image for cameras or lenses. One guy got a 600mm f4 lens (interesting story). And there is Art Wolfe who sold himself and some images for a new system after his Nikon system was stolen. Just a thought.

Gordon Moat
2-Jan-2009, 23:31
FotoQuote (http://www.fotoquote.com) software comes up with a range of $650 to $1350 for one image full page in a brochure printed 50k to 100k copies. You can purchase their software to get a more accurate approach to pricing.

Another method commonly used in commercial imaging and agency based work is the percentage of placement/production method. This would often be in the range of 3% to 5% of production/placement costs. Let's say they plan on spending $150k on production and placement for this campaign, then 5% is $7500. Obviously I am simplifying this method, but I think it is simple to grasp the idea of how it works.

Recall that this is an agency working for an international corporation. You need a fair value on your work, though remember that they contacted you about an existing image. If they had contracted with you to commission a new image, then I think your approach might go for maximum potential, while in this case I think offering them some value would be a wiser approach.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Frank Petronio
3-Jan-2009, 00:55
Congrats. Obviously they are providing you with professional terms right off the bat instead of trying to get a free or cheap photo from an amateur. So study up and sell them only the rights they are asking for and no more. And try to hit a number that is in the same ballpark as a competitive rights-managed stock photo.

Don't complicate things with a trade. The ad agency doesn't have an inventory of Canon cameras to pass out and you'll only queer the deal.

mgandy
24-Sep-2009, 16:19
You can sell it to them but by doing so you would relinquishing your rights to the photo. I guess it all depends on how much money you can make from them. I personally have never sold a photo but if you’re looking for ways to make money you can place your pictures on photo sites and make money when people buy the rights to use the images.