PDA

View Full Version : B+W 486 filter with Tech Pan?

Steve Goldstein
2-Jan-2009, 07:45
A gone-digital friend gave me a bit of Tech Pan for which he has no use, and I'm wondering if anyone has tried using a B+W 486 filter to tame its extended red response. This filter blocks above about 650nm (far red and IR), as well as UV. It is designed for digital sensors whose response extends into the near-IR. From the transmission curve it seems like it might help a bit in the red, and is benign over the rest of the visible, but is this a practical benefit with Tech Pan?

Nathan Potter
2-Jan-2009, 13:37
Dunno. I've used a lot of 4X5 Tech Pan but never used such a filter with, it even for landscapes.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Bob Salomon
2-Jan-2009, 14:19
We have sold several thousand of Heliopan's version, whose coating is slightly different then the 486. Over the years that we have sold it we have never had anyone tell us that they use it with film. Nor does the manufacturer recommend that it be used with film.

So why don't you just try it if you have one?

RJ-
2-Jan-2009, 14:23
Hi Steve,

I don't know if this helps: here are the spectral sensitivity charts for Kodak Technical Pan and the B+W/Schneider 486 UV/IR cut-off filter. From the charts, the attenuation of light transmission for Technical Pan is severe at 695nm whereas the B+W 486 filter' interference begins at 670nm with a transmission decay rate of approximately 50% by 695nm.

In essence, the filter is ineffective for a complete extended red response blockade. In practice, the minor transmission of the extended red band from 670nm onwards, may only be relevant if you are using Technical Pan for specific documentary applications with due attention to specific tonal precision and/or colour rendition. The (minor) extended red sensitivity of Technical Pan is usually very welcome in portraiture; landscape work and architectural photography. Perhaps the filter is best used for other purposes?

Digital photography aside, there may or may not be practical benefits of the filter in astrophotography or photography from 10,000ft altitudes, or perhaps haze reduction for orthopanchromatic film.

Kind regards,

RJ

Whole Plate Column (http://groups.google.co.uk/group/wholeplate)

http://www.schneider-kreuznach.com/tipps/images/uv-ir_cut_filter.jpg

Sevo
2-Jan-2009, 15:13
We have sold several thousand of Heliopan's version, whose coating is slightly different then the 486. Over the years that we have sold it we have never had anyone tell us that they use it with film. Nor does the manufacturer recommend that it be used with film.

I have used the 486 (as well as IR blocking gels) with film - it can occasionally come in useful to cut IR on the current bunch of extended red sensitivity films (Rollei R3 and the like) when used outdoors in conjunction with ancient lenses, as some of the latter have poor red correction to start with and become barely manageable on high IR subjects like spring foliage. Bur at least subjectively TP has quite a bit less IR sensitivity than R3, so the benefits there may be even smaller.

In any case, that is a rather special case, and beyond that, they are of little use with film. Considering that they are on the expensive side as far as filters go, I'd probably use a green or blue filter in these situations, if I did not already have a 486.

Sevo

Steve Goldstein
2-Jan-2009, 18:49
Thanks all, I won't bother buying a 486 filter or the Heliopan equivalent, but will just enjoy the film.