PDA

View Full Version : Pyro and VC filters?

Steve Goldstein
31-Dec-2008, 14:21
I've read that pyro-based developers work well with VC paper to preserve highlight separation. In The Book of Pyro Hutchings talks about printing PMK-developed negatives directly without any other filtration, allowing the stain to do all the work.

What I'm wondering is whether it is effective, helpful, necessary, or just plain stupid, to use VC filters when printing negatives developed in PMK or Pyrocat-HD (more likely the latter). I will certainly do my own experiments, but I'm hoping the wisdom of the collective can save me some time and materials.

John Powers
31-Dec-2008, 15:02
Steve,

I use Rollo Pyro, a variation of PMK for roller tanks like the Jobo, on T Max 400 and Ilford HP5+ and FP 4+. I enlarge 8x10 with an Aristo cold light and Ilford VC filters or contact print 7x17 with the same head and filters on Kentmere Fineprint VCFB. I believe it gives the results Gordon describes both in person and in his book.

John

Chuck Pere
1-Jan-2009, 06:59
I've always used filters with PMK. It's not magic and you can get blown out highlights if development is off. Plus I like to be able to adjust the contrast to get different looks to think about. If you didn't use filters with VC you are stuck with one contrast or using development techniques to control contrast. Like two developers or water bath. Or you could be exact in your development each time. Don't forget to include some graded paper tests in your experiments.