PDA

View Full Version : Rear lens cap size

joe dragon fineart
30-Dec-2008, 21:41
Hello, I am a new member to the Forum and also new to large format. Printer I use for my 35mm slides and negatives encouraged me to move to LF. After long consideration took the plunge and currently acquiring necessary equipment. Recently purchased a Schneider-Kreuznach Symmar-S 5.6/210 lens on ebay. Ad showed a front lens cap but said nothing about a rear one. I made the assumption there was also a rear cap. Checking with seller in event accidently omitted, he noted non was referred to and he was correct in viewing original message. My fault for not originally asking.
My question is what size rear lens cap do I need and does it leave enough space as to not make contact with the lens itself. Thanking you in advance for your information. Joe Dragon.

vinny
30-Dec-2008, 22:50
Measure it. Order a new one from b&h. Do not follow their advice of getting it 1mm larger than you measure.

Oren Grad
30-Dec-2008, 23:58
Schneider says 57mm:

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/archiv/pdf/symmar_s_73.pdf

But production specifications do change sometimes, so you should double-check yours to confirm.

joe dragon fineart
1-Jan-2009, 21:08
Vinny, Why didn't I think of measuring the lens? Good call Vnny. The only problem I had was I couldn't locate a metric ruler when I wanted the answer while viewing some ebay caps for sale. One has now been added to my bag of stuff. Thanks for your reply, have a great New Year. Joe Dragon
Oren, Thanks for the info and web site. I'll measure and confirm if 57mm. Hope you also have a great New Year. Joe Dragon

CG
2-Jan-2009, 12:13
SK Grimes www.skgrimes.com does custom lenscaps (and many other custom services )- I know, sounds a bit much, custom lens caps, but they sound like the fit they obtain is pretty perfect. I've never had one made so this is just guessing on my part. That said, I have considered getting a cap made for an 14mm ultra wide angle. The cap that came with it was pretty shoddy.

C

Oren Grad
2-Jan-2009, 16:57
SK Grimes is great for solving special problems. But the 210 Symmar-S is a very common lens; Joe shouldn't have too much trouble finding a suitable plastic cap for not very much money.

bvstaples
4-Jan-2009, 12:47
Joe et al.:

When I've bought a used lens, if it didn't come with lens cap(s), I headed to a local camera store for one. Most I've ever paid is 4 bucks! You should see if there's a local used camera shop near you, and if not contact a regular one. The advantage to this is you can take the lens with you and find just the right fit.

Brian