PDA

View Full Version : Black and White Film in 4x5"?

AutumnJazz
29-Dec-2008, 00:19
I know, this seems like an easy question that I can answer myself...but the B&W films I use in 35mm either aren't avalable in 4x5, or would be stupid to use. I really just use Tech Pan/Rollei ATP and Ilford HP5+. The former for 'scapes, the HP5+ for walking around/street. I really just want a grainless film and a somewhat grainy film. What kind of films do I want? :)

Thanks, as always.

Ron Marshall
29-Dec-2008, 01:46
I know, this seems like an easy question that I can answer myself...but the B&W films I use in 35mm either aren't avalable in 4x5, or would be stupid to use. I really just use Tech Pan/Rollei ATP and Ilford HP5+. The former for 'scapes, the HP5+ for walking around/street. I really just want a grainless film and a somewhat grainy film. What kind of films do I want? :)

Thanks, as always.

TMX is grainless. HP5 or TXP are somewhat grainy. But of course with 4x5 you won't get the same graininess unless you enlarge by the same ratio or use a dev. like Rodinal.

Gary L. Quay
29-Dec-2008, 03:57
The Foma films have a tendency toward graininess. You can get them from Freestyle as Arista films. Develop them in Formulary DK-50, and they'll have even more grain.

Ken Lee
29-Dec-2008, 05:56
One of the advantages of 4x5 is that unless we print quite large, we don't see much grain at all. Instead we see lovely tonality, much like we get with the human eye.

Here (http://www.kennethleegallery.com/images/tech/doornail.jpg) is an example using TMAX 400, which isn't even the fine-grain version of the film. Plenty of data but... not much grain.

You'll have to work at it, to re-introduce graininess into a 4x5 image. If it's grain you want, stay with 'miniature' cameras. ;)

Walter Calahan
29-Dec-2008, 06:12
Shoot a variety of 4x5 film to test, and judge for yourself which meets your needs.

Winger
29-Dec-2008, 07:59
I'm just starting out with 4x5, too, and have started with HP5. I may switch to TMax later, but I wanted something to learn on that's a little more forgiving. As long as you label things well, you can switch easily (much more easily than with 35mm).

Jehu
29-Dec-2008, 12:57
I hope this helps...
Tmax 400:

I used this shot to demonstrate the resolution of 4X5 to some friends:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z95/Jehu10842/LF_BW/VC/cropexample-both.jpg

My final cropping:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z95/Jehu10842/LF_BW/VC/RanchoSanRafael-002a.jpg

Filmnut
29-Dec-2008, 14:09
These are my choices, based on my preferences. I use Acros in 35mm and 120, and I love it, but it is very hard to get in 4X5, and expensive when I do find it.
So, I use Ilford Delta, for smooth, grainless blow ups, even at high contrast, Tmax 400 if I want more speed, but little grain, and HP5 or Tri-X processed in Rodinal, if I want a grainer look. I have used Kodak XTOL at lot, and still like it, but have recently gone to Rodinal for processing the 4X5 Delta, for the extra bit of sharpness it gives.
Keith

venchka
29-Dec-2008, 17:37
I started with a box of expired HP5+. As others have said, it is very forgiving. I have developed some of it in D-76 1:1, Rodinal 1:100 and most of the film in Xtol 1:3. Lovely film in 4x5 and 120.

Andrew O'Neill
29-Dec-2008, 18:30
I've used HP5+ 4x5 for years. Tough to see grain when developed in pyrocat-hd, even out to 16x20. FP4 is great too.

Donald Qualls
1-Jan-2009, 08:30
I use Fomapan 100 (aka Arista .EDU Ultra 100, under relabeling) in my Graphic View, and am just converting to Fomapan 400, assuming I can still get it in 4x5, for my Speed Graphic. Even the faster film, processed in Parodinal (a homebrew Rodinal work-alike made from headache tablets and drain opener -- really!), shows no visible grain at magnifications equivalent to 16x20 full frame prints -- because that print size is equivalent to a 4x6 print from 35 mm, which also typically wouldn't show grain even with an older technology ISO 400 film in an acutance developer.

I'd agree with those above; if you want the finest grain possible, shoot 100TMX and process in XTOL or PC-TEA. Do that, with care, and you'll be able to make 30x40 prints and still need a magnifier to find the grain.