PDA

View Full Version : Large Format Landscapes

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

eddo123
27-Dec-2008, 05:02
Ok then. Im waiting for the arrival of my first large format camera. Really looking forward to getting it, and then getting out into the landscape with it. But in the meantime I was just wandering if people could post up some of there favorite landscape shot on LF. Be it a large sweeping vista, or intimate details. Just really as a source of inspiration to myself when i get my camera and others like me, who cant wait to get out there with there new kit and shoot the land around them.

Thanks in advance, Edd

Steve Gledhill
27-Dec-2008, 05:24
You lucky so and so - starting out on a very long new journey.

eddo123
27-Dec-2008, 05:47
great shot there. Yeh im really looking forward to the challenge!! Some of my friends think im nuts, moving in the wrong direction, but i want to push myself further with my photography. i feel Large format is the way to achieve this, hopefully resulting in flawless technique in the end!

Walter Calahan
27-Dec-2008, 06:38
My LF working is in this web gallery: http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Cheers/Projects/Pages/Carroll_County.html#0

Emil Schildt
27-Dec-2008, 06:46
For me, landscape is until now, the most difficult subject to do...

Give me naked girls any day......:o

However, I certainly would like to do more landscapes, as the challenge appeals to me.

I have only a few images to show, due to my lack of success :cool: , but here they are...

Joanna Carter
27-Dec-2008, 06:49
... I was just wandering if people could post up some of there favorite landscape shot on LF. Be it a large sweeping vista, or intimate details. Just really as a source of inspiration to myself when i get my camera and others like me, who cant wait to get out there with there new kit and shoot the land around them.
Check out my site: www.grandes-images.com

kev curry
27-Dec-2008, 07:09
Life's a journey not a destination... I think? Enjoy the ride and hold on tight, it might be bumpy!

eddo123
27-Dec-2008, 08:23
Cheers Kev. I cant wait to begin on my LF journey. Though there is a few more things i need to get before i can get going. It would be silly to go out with a light meter now wouldnt it!!

Bill_1856
27-Dec-2008, 08:58
I fail to see any difference between landscapes taken with Large Format equipment, and anything else. It's just a lot more work with the camera, and somewhat less in the darkroom.

kev curry
27-Dec-2008, 09:14
I fail to see any difference between landscapes taken with Large Format equipment, and anything else. It's just a lot more work with the camera, and somewhat less in the darkroom.

You cant be serious?

kev curry
27-Dec-2008, 09:28
Cheers Kev. I cant wait to begin on my LF journey. Though there is a few more things i need to get before i can get going. It would be silly to go out with a light meter now wouldnt it!!

Not silly at all, in fact I've picked up a very productive habit from advice given here on the forum... that is, guessing the exposure of the scene I'm about to photograph before triggering the light meter... you become pretty perceptive pretty quickly at judging the exposure of a scene, someone somewhere suggested going around without a camera, light meter in hand doing just that as an exercise in reading light and evaluating exposure... probably best to stay around the house or enclosed garden for this exercise just in case someone tries to have you locked away for an indeterminate period;)

Renato Tonelli
27-Dec-2008, 09:29

I think you may need to explain this one :confused:

Merg Ross
27-Dec-2008, 09:33

I can see a difference in my own work. Thirteen of the images in Portfolio Three were taken with either an 8x10 or 4x5. The remaining three were taken with 120 cameras.

http://mergross.com

darr
27-Dec-2008, 09:33
Visit the LF Gallery (http://gallery55.org/lfgallery/) to see members work that have participated in past print exchanges.

Kuzano
27-Dec-2008, 10:17
My LF working is in this web gallery: http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Cheers/Projects/Pages/Carroll_County.html#0

Great gallery... The Five Guys made me remember I haven't had breakfast yet. I'm going now, to feed myself and will look in again when I get back. I see some images there that make me want to spend some time.

Nice!

kev curry
27-Dec-2008, 10:22
OOOh Bill... what have you done:)

Thad Gerheim
27-Dec-2008, 15:05
Walter has some great stuff on his website! I hope he is getting recognition and exposure in museums and galleries.

argos33
27-Dec-2008, 19:08
Check out my site: www.grandes-images.com

Joanna, Those are some great exposures - Do you use Color Negative Film?

Kuzano
27-Dec-2008, 19:24

A good friend of mine who is a professional landscape photographer often goes out for days exploring light at different times on one subject before he ever takes the camera out of his car. It's not uncommon for him to check the light on one subject a few times during the day over a few days. Dragging the camera out is a distraction on the process of finding the right light. (Yes, I know you all are wondering what he does if the light magically appears just one time in that process. The camera is never far away if that happens. Do you all set up the camera and wait for the light?)

I sent him this:

Bill_1856
27-Dec-2008, 20:41
You cant be serious?

Absolutely serious as a heart attack. Do you know something that I don't?

jim kitchen
27-Dec-2008, 22:52
Dear Eddo,

You will probably enjoy the change...

I captured these images in 2007.

jim k

http://largeformatgroupimages.jimkitchen.ca/images/07081805.jpg
Willow Valley, Alberta, Canada

http://largeformatgroupimages.jimkitchen.ca/images/07042108.jpg
Jumping Pound Road, Alberta, Canada

vinny
28-Dec-2008, 00:07
I've seen plenty of work made with LF cameras that didn't look like it was made with them. Poor vision, focus, and technique are usually the culprits.

Jiri Vasina
28-Dec-2008, 01:47
I have quite a few photos in different threads here, and you might also find them at my homepage www.vasina.net (http://www.vasina.net/), especially in the "Serene Landscape portfolio" (http://www.vasina.net/?page_id=466). If you have a look, I hope you'll enjoy it.

And I can also clearly see the difference between 35mm shots, MF shots and LF shots. The ones from LF that fail to be clearly better do fail because of my poor execution, or wind or something alike. And even my wife is able to see the difference (and she is not a photographer at all, after several years of explaining, she still has difficulty understanding the meaning and importance of bull's eye's centered composition, ISO, aperture, handholdability and time - she understands them separately, but can't cope with them all at once).

Vaughn
28-Dec-2008, 02:03
I've shown this one before, but sometimes it is fun to photograph naked girls and landscape at the same time!

Bill...If you can't see the difference, then there is no difference for you. Those who are color blind may not see any difference between red and green...but others can easily see the difference. Cameras are tools, and the tools shape the image.

Fallen Redwood, Nude
Prairie Creek Redwood State Park
4x5 negative, scanned silver gelatin print

Edited in Nov 2020 to say ouch...what did I write?!

kev curry
28-Dec-2008, 03:57
Bill, hard as I've tried I've never quite managed to achieve satisfying quality landscape images from pro Nikon 35mm gear... well 'unless' the degree of enlargement was kept very modest ie around 8x10'' max... 35mm just wasn't happening for me. Dont get me wrong I've had a few 12x16 prints from 35mm that are note worthy but for me they are the exception. That changed however with my first print from a 5x4 negative, to my eyes the difference is unavoidable. I'm really moved by well composed images that contain incredible sharpness and a crispness of detail... but I have to confess that I'm one of those sad guys that cant resist taking a loupe to his prints. I am however seriously considering picking up a 6x6, a Blad's looking like the main contender, I suspect then that the difference between 6x6 and 5x4 will prove to be very narrow at least up to something like 16x12''.
Recently I was thumbing my way through Galen Rowel's book 'Mountain Light In Search of the Dynamic Landscape' a book full of both fantastic images and enlightening words. For me the book is a perfect example of both the strengths and limitations of using 35mm gear... I know its probably a daft thing to say because the guy's format of choice was a small camera, but I couldn't help thinking...''man if only these images could have been captured on a large sheet of film''!

Ken Lee
28-Dec-2008, 05:49
"I fail to see any difference between landscapes taken with Large Format equipment, and anything else. It's just a lot more work with the camera, and somewhat less in the darkroom".

Such a wise guy. Posting that, on the Large Format Forum ! Why not post something similar, on the Leica Forum ? Just substitute the words Large Format, with Leica.

Better yet, you could post something like this, which comes from Ken Rockwell...

"A $50 used Yashica-MAT 124G (a medium format camera) is sharper than any Nikon, Leica or Canon, and a $200, 50 year old 4 x 5" Crown Graphic (large format) is sharper than any Hasselblad".

Bill_1856
28-Dec-2008, 06:06
"I fail to see any difference between landscapes taken with Large Format equipment, and anything else. It's just a lot more work with the camera, and somewhat less in the darkroom".

Such a wise guy. Posting that, on the Large Format Forum ! Why not post something similar, on the Leica Forum ? Just substitute the words Large Format, with Leica.

Better yet, you could post something like this, which comes from Ken Rockwell...

"A $50 used Yashica-MAT 124G (a medium format camera) is sharper than any Nikon, Leica or Canon, and a $200, 50 year old 4 x 5" Crown Graphic (large format) is sharper than any Hasselblad".

There is a great more to the quality and effectiveness of a final print than just the micro-sharpness under a loupe.

Bruce Barlow
28-Dec-2008, 06:16
Not silly at all, in fact I've picked up a very productive habit from advice given here on the forum... that is, guessing the exposure of the scene I'm about to photograph before triggering the light meter... you become pretty perceptive pretty quickly at judging the exposure of a scene, someone somewhere suggested going around without a camera, light meter in hand doing just that as an exercise in reading light and evaluating exposure... probably best to stay around the house or enclosed garden for this exercise just in case someone tries to have you locked away for an indeterminate period;)

B'lieve that advice came from Richard Ritter and me. We find the abovementioned exercise enormously useful to helping develop one's eye. Judging exposure is a by-product. It, and variations, are in my book.

My 35mm stuff is printed no larger than 5x7. 35mm can be incredibly useful to develop one's eye, too. And, homage to friend Bill, it can also be FUN!

Landscape examples are at the Circle of the Sun web site, link below. Dial-up internet here in the jungles of New Hampshire preclude me from posting to the forum. Dial-up is NOT fun...

John Voss
28-Dec-2008, 07:31
While there may be some excessive fetishism among some of us who use large format (the magic of film developed in leprechaun sweat, and prints made on manna with the tears of fairies) I am constantly amazed by how much more there is in a lf negative and print than one from mf. I've been printing a lot for a show in April from both mf and lf negs, and the latter are a real treat. No difference? There is for me!

jnantz
28-Dec-2008, 07:51
weeds

Frank Petronio
28-Dec-2008, 07:58
Camping is fun

Ken Lee
28-Dec-2008, 09:06
There is a great more to the quality and effectiveness of a final print than just the micro-sharpness under a loupe.

Yes, you're certainly right. I think we'd all agree on that.

Sorry, I thought your posting was tongue-in-cheek, and responded accordingly.

Bill_1856
28-Dec-2008, 09:28
Yes, you're certainly right. I think we'd all agree on that.

Sorry, I thought your posting was tongue-in-cheek, and responded accordingly.

No Ken, I have to admit that it was more like a semi-troll.:D

Bill_1856
28-Dec-2008, 10:24
weeds

John, you have inspired me.

Steve M Hostetter
28-Dec-2008, 13:01
flatrock river in winter 8x10 chrome 480mm very cold morning I think tungsten film

SamReeves
28-Dec-2008, 13:07
Eh why not…

Panther Meadows at Mount Shasta, California in October of 2002.

http://www.samreevesphoto.com/posts/BW45021028_4post.jpg

Andrew ren
29-Dec-2008, 21:48
two fresh ones.

57 tmx, fuji lense.

Burlington, Ontario.
http://www.andrewren.com/Images_for_web/Winter_2008/Burlington,-Ontario.jpg

=====

Webster, New York.
http://www.andrewren.com/Images_for_web/Winter_2008/Webster,-New-York.jpg

Jeff Graves
29-Dec-2008, 22:23
4 snowy ones to share

argos33
30-Dec-2008, 00:43
Perhaps he was talking about when scanned and displayed on the forum? But I agree, the final print is where you really see the difference. Compare an 8x10 contact print to a 35mm or medium format enlargement and tell me there is no difference!

jnantz
30-Dec-2008, 09:21
John, you have inspired me.

hi bill,

im glad i could help!

john

nathanm
31-Dec-2008, 15:10
My couch-friendliest landscape print so far, coming in at 2x4 feet. Six-pass dry mounted to a sheet of MDF. See if you can spot the small boo boo. I hope it isn't distracting. Actually I shouldn't even bring it up, and just see if anyone notices. Yep, that's the best plan.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3250/3140629740_31fb12befa_o.jpg

Steve M Hostetter
31-Dec-2008, 15:50
nathanm, I'm looking for a tripod foot, camerabag handle, end of a persons foot, darkcloth in frame, or distracting stick. Can't find a one of these but I do see a level something up in right on hill in background..

Nice shot by the way,, what did ya shoot it with..?
regards

nathanm
31-Dec-2008, 16:24
No, it's nothing with the photo itself.

Shot with a 90mm Schneider and a red filter, I think. (I should probably use filters more often, I think it made some of those dark rocks even darker.) Shen-Hao 4x5, two left\right rear shift exposures stitched together. Stitched the hard way too, before I bought Photoshop CS3 which makes that part too easy! Probably Delta-100 with perceptol. Or might've been Efke. Can't remember exactly.

argos33
31-Dec-2008, 17:09
Nathan,
That looks impressive, I can't notice any obvious mistakes, but I do see a line in the mat. I am curious, did you print two prints separately and then mount them flush? Or is it two negatives printed on the same print? I am not "old school" enough to have tried such procedures, I'm afraid.

Thad Gerheim
31-Dec-2008, 17:12
Nice stitching ! Is it that you didn't have oversize matboard (40x60) that you pieced together some smaller ones?

z_photo
31-Dec-2008, 17:20
is it along the top on the backing board about 1/3 in from the right? doesn't seem an issue if that is what you are referencing as a booboo

nathanm
31-Dec-2008, 18:01
Yep, the mat is in two pieces. I suppose I should've done the seam with a 45˚ cut instead of 90˚. Oh well, it looks okay. It wasn't supposed to have a mat at all, but there was a wee bit of white paper edge showing and I had to cover it up.

Argos33 - The two negatives were scanned independently, combined in Photoshop and printed on the same sheet of paper.

A nice 4x10 camera, or better yet an 8x10 with a 4x10 back would be super sweet, but the rear shift trick is a cheaper alternative. I don't usually care for the wider aspect ratio, but with this lens I move the back around and see all the nice image circle I'm missing out on. It took me awhile to appreciate lens atttributes, but I've discovered just how sharp this one is. All the tree bark is nice and crisp.

D. Bryant
1-Jan-2009, 22:23
Yep, the mat is in two pieces. I suppose I should've done the seam with a 45˚ cut instead of 90˚. Oh well, it looks okay. It wasn't supposed to have a mat at all, but there was a wee bit of white paper edge showing and I had to cover it up.

Argos33 - The two negatives were scanned independently, combined in Photoshop and printed on the same sheet of paper.

A nice 4x10 camera, or better yet an 8x10 with a 4x10 back would be super sweet, but the rear shift trick is a cheaper alternative. I don't usually care for the wider aspect ratio, but with this lens I move the back around and see all the nice image circle I'm missing out on. It took me awhile to appreciate lens atttributes, but I've discovered just how sharp this one is. All the tree bark is nice and crisp.

Nathan,

How did you scan your images?

I use left-right shift on the front standard. Is there optically any difference when no tilt or swing is involved? I avoid wide angle lenses though when using this technique since I will often need to use front rise and it's very easy to get distortion of vertical lines near the edge of the frames. I'll see if I can post an example of what I'm talking of if I can find the negative scan, though it's not a landscape.

Don Bryant

PS How did you print that?

nathanm
1-Jan-2009, 22:46
Moving the back of the camera doesn't change the image at all, you're just shifting around the film within the fixed image circle, as if you were cropping the image. I think if you moved the lens it would shift optically. There's no geometric correction required when the two images are combined in Photoshop. The only issues might be a mismatch of exposure or movement of objects within the scene, but Photoshop stitches pretty darn good and usually without noticeable artifact. The seam can be touched up here and there if necessary.

You might run into lens abberations when you are using the far edges of the image circle. I try not to use too much vertical shift or lens tilt so you're taking a more ideal piece right out of the center.

Scanned on Epson V750, printed on Epson 7880 on Red River UltraPro Gloss paper.

D. Bryant
1-Jan-2009, 23:09
Moving the back of the camera doesn't change the image at all, you're just shifting around the film within the fixed image circle, as if you were cropping the image. I think if you moved the lens it would shift optically. There's no geometric correction required when the two images are combined in Photoshop. The only issues might be a mismatch of exposure or movement of objects within the scene, but Photoshop stitches pretty darn good and usually without noticeable artifact. The seam can be touched up here and there if necessary.

You might run into lens abberations when you are using the far edges of the image circle. I try not to use too much vertical shift or lens tilt so you're taking a more ideal piece right out of the center.

Scanned on Epson V750, printed on Epson 7880 on Red River UltraPro Gloss paper.

Okay thanks for the low down on your technique. Have you drum scanned and of your negs for stitching. Big difference in the level of detail for very large prints though I've not printed as large as you have.

What is the RR UltraPro Gloss like? Is that a baryta coated paper? I guess I could browse the RR site for the info.

Don Bryant

nathanm
1-Jan-2009, 23:30
Years ago I operated a giant Hell scanner and an Optronics Colorgetter in a print shop, but since then haven't used one. I am really impressed at how good the lower end scanners models are. Just like digicams, cheaper and better all the time. Drum scanners and zany high end flatbeds are just out of my league, but I don't torment myself with the differences because personally I can't see anything lacking in the amount of detail in these prints.

To my eyes these modern tools are not the weak link any more, now it's all just a matter of human skill to get the quality you want. Well, it is ALWAYS human skill, but crummy tools do put a damper on the party. I would consider fluid mounting on the V750, though. But I'm in no rush to get a drum scanner, although it would be a trip to use one again. (I actually was fired from my first job partially over disagreements on what settings to use on the Hell scanner!)

The paper is, well, glossy; which means nice Dmax, long tonal range and it's also very sharp. Sometimes I think there's only really two or three kinds of paper in the world to choose from providing you don't:

1) Touch them
2) Look at them cockeyed

Heh!

Steve M Hostetter
2-Jan-2009, 00:12
Nathan,, next time use a beveled cut

Steve M Hostetter
8-Jan-2009, 16:08
Walter has some great stuff on his website! I hope he is getting recognition and exposure in museums and galleries.

Amazing,,,!

cjbroadbent
15-Jan-2009, 06:23
http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/mm440/downstairs_2008/Sommerx2.jpg
This is two photos of Genoa by Giorgio Sommer (1834-1914). I found the left hand print in a junk shop in Berlin and the right hand print in a Philadelphia gallery. The contact prints were scanned then spliced rather than stitched in RealViz. The lens corresponds to about 350mm on full plate He shifted the camera position about five yards for the right-hand shot and took it about one minute later. The distance a rower rowed between shots gives the time.

David Hedley
16-Jan-2009, 15:23
Christopher - did you reconstruct that image from two separate photographs that you found? If so, that is an amazing story!

Bruce Watson
16-Jan-2009, 15:57
One of my personal favs. is of a rock wall (http://www.achromaticarts.com/big_image.php?path=joshua&img_num=6) I found in Joshua Tree National Park a few years ago. 5x4 Tri-X, 150mm Sironar-S IIRC. I made a 125 x 100 inkjet print on canvas which really shows off the difference in textures between the rough rocks and the smooth clouds.

cjbroadbent
17-Jan-2009, 01:18
Christopher - did you reconstruct that image from two separate photographs that you found? If so, that is an amazing story!
Yes, I found the two prints five years apart, one in Germany, one in America and reconstructed (spliced) the two together to make complete panorama. As I said, Sommer took them one minute and a few yards apart.

cjbroadbent
17-Jan-2009, 01:18
Yes, I found the two prints five years apart, one in Germany, one in America and reconstructed (spliced) the two together to make complete panorama. As I said, Sommer took them one minute and a few yards apart.

alec4444
17-Jan-2009, 07:56
That's crazy!!!!! How big were the original prints?

--A

Bruce Watson
17-Jan-2009, 08:22
I made a 125 x 100 inkjet print on canvas...

That's 125 x 100 cm. Sorry for leaving that out of my post.

David Hedley
17-Jan-2009, 11:33

I admire your scholarship and dedication.

To the OP, here is one from Yellowstone;

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3389/3204411422_b1f773248b_b.jpg

Toyo metal field, Schneider 180mm, Acros / Rodinal

Rory_5244
24-Jan-2009, 09:20
Haven't been here in awhile. AS 4x5, Fuji 240A, Kodak E100VS.

http://www.trinidaddreamscape.net/pichost/AS45_060w1.jpg

Nana Sousa Dias
25-Jan-2009, 11:47
http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/3839/penedodoguincho2es7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Shen Hao 4x5, Schneider Super Angulon 47mm, Tmax 100, 25A filter

Nana Sousa Dias
25-Jan-2009, 12:09
And some more...
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/4056/maresias232fd2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Wista 45 DX, Fuji SWD 90/5.6, Fuji Acros, Orange filter

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/1332/maresias243sb4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Linhof Technika IV, Schneider Super Angulon 65/8, FP4+, orange filter

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8426/maresias60sg7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Linhof Technika IV, Schneider Super Angulon 65/8, Tmax 100, orange filter

nathanm
25-Jan-2009, 12:12
Dramatic shot, Nana Sousa Dias! It's great to see what that lens (47mm) looks like on 4x5. Is that using a center filter?

Nana Sousa Dias
25-Jan-2009, 12:21
Dramatic shot, Nana Sousa Dias! It's great to see what that lens (47mm) looks like on 4x5. Is that using a center filter?

No, nathan, this was shot without center filter, I opened a bit the levels at corners, on the bottom. At the top I didn't do any editing, that's the natural vignetting of the lens.

Rory_5244
25-Jan-2009, 13:46
Gorgeous stuff, Nana.

Steve Gledhill
25-Jan-2009, 14:43
Nana,
Thanks for the great images which just confirms to me that it's time to look for a lens wider than my 90mm.

h2oman
25-Jan-2009, 17:24
Yeah, those are beautiful, Nana.

My contribution:

Wizard Island, Crater Lake. Osaka 4x5, 90 mm Caltar (widest I own), Astia with 2 or 3 stop split ND filter.

http://www.greggwaterman.com/CL_clouds_realsmall_BW.jpg

Richard A Johnson
26-Jan-2009, 07:44
Welcome aboard, I have never lost the excitement of working with LF in the landscape.
Work with one or two lens and keep thing simple and you will have the time of your life.
If you are patient with yourself and give yourself the time to grow with this tool it will reward you ten fold.

Check out my new website to see what I mean
http://www.richardjohnsonphotography.com/

Richard

JPlomley
26-Jan-2009, 12:39
Welcome to the exciting fold of large format. I dived in two years ago and have never looked back. I use a Leica and Mamiya 7 for street work, and 4x5 for landscapes.

You can check out some of my work at the link below.

Cheers,
Jeff

Steve M Hostetter
26-Jan-2009, 13:11

My contribution:

Wizard Island, Crater Lake. Osaka 4x5, 90 mm Caltar (widest I own), Astia with 2 or 3 stop split ND filter.

hard to believe this lake is almost 2000' deep

Jiri Vasina
27-Jan-2009, 04:26
Nana, those are some stunning pictures...

Jiri

Nana Sousa Dias
27-Jan-2009, 09:11
Nana, those are some stunning pictures...

Jiri

Thanks, Jiri.

I didn't heard from you, long, long time ago! I think you were posting photos on Photo.net, or am I wrong? Are you doing new work? Where can I see it? Regards

DJGainer
27-Jan-2009, 18:13
I know a Seascape is technically not a Landscape, but I figure nobody will complain.

Kirk Gittings
27-Jan-2009, 18:21
Superb........

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/3839/penedodoguincho2es7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Kirk Gittings
27-Jan-2009, 18:22
Otherworldly!! Superb.

My contribution:

Michael Wynd
27-Jan-2009, 22:16
Kirk,
so far, for me, your's takes the cake.
Brilliant
Mike

Jiri Vasina
28-Jan-2009, 12:17
Thanks, Jiri.

I didn't heard from you, long, long time ago! I think you were posting photos on Photo.net, or am I wrong? Are you doing new work? Where can I see it? Regards

Nana, for the past 3 months I have done very little photography - either capturing new work, or finishing those already captured. Job issues in combination with my newborn son (2nd child) and some non-serious but still incapacitating issues prevented me from doing any serious photography work.

The only photos I managed to capture are shots of my family, and only this weekend did I manage to develop them. Right now the scanner is humming over them, and I hope something presentable will result... Though no landscapes so far.

The past few days, it seems that things are getting back to normal and I might have some time to do my usual photography outings...

I primarily add new photos at my website - www.vasina.net (http://www.vasina.net/). If they are large format, I usually post them here too. And also most of the photos are uploaded to my flickr account (http://www.flickr.com/photos/28367700@N03/), too. But my main presentation place is my website, if there is nothing new there, it's almost certain nowhere else is either... ;)

I have not posted anything over on photo.net for years, it has changed a great deal since I was active there (and since I learned about your work, too :) ).

I'm greatly pleased (and honored) by your interest.

Jiri

Jiri Vasina
29-Jan-2009, 13:50
http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/podzim/p13x18-171_web.jpg
Old Orchard

And this is what the scanner was humming on yesterday :) . The picture was shot less than 2km from my house - the less free time I have, the closer to home I have to look for inspiration. My city - Brno, the 2nd largest city in Czech Republic is just over the horizon...

Chamonix 5×8", 13×18cm Fomapan 100 cropped to 5×8" ratio, Schneider G-Claron 150mm, developed in Rodinal.

Nana Sousa Dias
29-Jan-2009, 19:37
http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/podzim/p13x18-171_web.jpg
Old Orchard

And this is what the scanner was humming on yesterday :) . The picture was shot less than 2km from my house - the less free time I have, the closer to home I have to look for inspiration. My city - Brno, the 2nd largest city in Czech Republic is just over the horizon...

Chamonix 5×8", 13×18cm Fomapan 100 cropped to 5×8" ratio, Schneider G-Claron 150mm, developed in Rodinal.

Nice image, Jiri

That Chamonix of yours is 5x8"? Not 5x7"? I've never heard of that format.

Jiri Vasina
29-Jan-2009, 22:55
Thanks Nana.

And yes, it's a bit strange format, but has a lot of merits. The film can be very easily cut from 8×10" - and the availability of 8×10" film is much better and more diverse than either 5×7" or 13×18cm. And it's one simple cut. Also, the aspect ratio is a nice one, and it serves well a lot of images.

The camera can very easily be used not only to shoot the 5×8" format, but also 13×18cm/5×7" film in standard holders (and I also have some holders for Half Plate format for it...). Here on my website, you can read more about the camera and have a look at the camera itself - part 1 (http://www.vasina.net/?p=94) and part 2 (http://www.vasina.net/?p=711).

And here is a link to the 5x8 camera (http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/58.html) on Chamonix website.

Bruce M. Herman
30-Jan-2009, 01:33
Come to Alaska when you get used to your new camera.
1. Mt. Pendelton in fall, Denali National Park
2. Receding rain storm over Savage River in fall, Denali National Park

David Hedley
30-Jan-2009, 04:19
Bruce - the second image (Savage River) is sublime! Do you have a large print of it?

Nana Sousa Dias
30-Jan-2009, 06:56
Come to Alaska when you get used to your new camera.
2. Receding rain storm over Savage River in fall, Denali National Park

Fantastic images!

Nana Sousa Dias
30-Jan-2009, 07:16
Thanks Nana.

And yes, it's a bit strange format, but has a lot of merits. The film can be very easily cut from 8×10" - and the availability of 8×10" film is much better and more diverse than either 5×7" or 13×18cm. And it's one simple cut. Also, the aspect ratio is a nice one, and it serves well a lot of images.

The camera can very easily be used not only to shoot the 5×8" format, but also 13×18cm/5×7" film in standard holders (and I also have some holders for Half Plate format for it...). Here on my website, you can read more about the camera and have a look at the camera itself - part 1 (http://www.vasina.net/?p=94) and part 2 (http://www.vasina.net/?p=711).

And here is a link to the 5x8 camera (http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/58.html) on Chamonix website.

The camera looks nice, I like the focusing system. The choice of this format it's a bit strange but makes sense, because of 8x10" sheets. I never did cut sheets in the dark but I think will be not very hard to do with some practice.
The only problem I see, with this format, is about developing. I use Jobo Expert Drums, I have the 3010 tank, wich can develop 10x 4x5" or 9x12cm Sheets, the 3006 tank, wich takes 6x 5x7" or 13x18cm sheets and the 3063, wich takes sheets from 5x7", untill 20x24". I use this one to develop 6x 8x10" sheets, but I don't know if it could be adapted to 5x8". With some skill, probably will fit.
I am thinking aobut purchasing a 5x7" camera, maybee, this 5x8" is a better choice, I think 5x7" and 13x18cm will be very difficult to find in the future.

z_photo
30-Jan-2009, 07:18
Bruce, love em. we want pix of redoubt when it blows!

cobalt
30-Jan-2009, 07:29
Bruce... excellent.

Jiri Vasina
30-Jan-2009, 13:48
The camera looks nice, I like the focusing system. The choice of this format it's a bit strange but makes sense, because of 8x10" sheets. I never did cut sheets in the dark but I think will be not very hard to do with some practice.
The only problem I see, with this format, is about developing. I use Jobo Expert Drums, I have the 3010 tank, wich can develop 10x 4x5" or 9x12cm Sheets, the 3006 tank, wich takes 6x 5x7" or 13x18cm sheets and the 3063, wich takes sheets from 5x7", untill 20x24". I use this one to develop 6x 8x10" sheets, but I don't know if it could be adapted to 5x8". With some skill, probably will fit.
I am thinking aobut purchasing a 5x7" camera, maybee, this 5x8" is a better choice, I think 5x7" and 13x18cm will be very difficult to find in the future.

Nana, I develop all my LF films in 2830 print drum. I think the the 3063 tank of yours could be used to develop the 5x8 size too. My drum has ridges on the inside, which allow either placing 4 13x18cm (5x7") sheets with the shorter side of the film along the axis of the tank (and the longer side bent around the circle of the drum). It's also intended to develop 2 sheets of 8x10" with the longer side along the axis of the tank - and 1 sheet 8x10" is 2 sheets of 8x5" placed next to each other :) So if you load the 8x10 film in the tank in the same way, you could also develop a 8x5" (5x8") film.

Try cutting a paper and loading it in the developing drum...

The 5x8" format is a very nice one aestheticaly. The only downside is the high price of the Chamonix holders - but this is relative, and subjective too.

Ken Lee has presented some extraordinary work in this format in the past 6 moths (+-) among others (sorry for not mentioning by name, I can't remember them at the moment).

(Btw., I'm looking for a way to develop my quarter plate [3 1/4 x 4 1/4] films - they won't hold in the 2509N reel, and are too small to be placed in the 2830 drum. Does anyone of you have a way to develop them in Jobo tanks, or a non-expensive dedicated way? Thanks)

Ken Lee
30-Jan-2009, 16:04
For all my recent work (http://www.kenleegallery.com/index.html) I have masked my ground glass to the golden ratio, on both 4x5 and 5x7.

If I had the big money, I would work in 5x8, which is very close to the golden ratio. I'm sure that someone could make a 5x8 back at a reasonable cost, but the big expense would be to purchase or make a large enough number of 5x8 film holders.

Steve M Hostetter
30-Jan-2009, 20:05
Shades... Overlooking Sugar creek in Shades state pk. 8x10 115mm (I think) 4721 film in D76

Jiri Vasina
31-Jan-2009, 02:08
For all my recent work (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/recent/index.html) I have masked my ground glass to the golden ratio, on both 4x5 and 5x7.

If I had the big money, I would work in 5x8, which is very close to the golden ratio. I'm sure that someone could make a 5x8 back at a reasonable cost, but the big expense would be to purchase or make a large enough number of 5x8 film holders.

The price for the film holders is the most serious drawback. If they were not so pricey, I'd have more than 2. But on the other hand, I'd not be pressed to find a way to use regular 13x18cm/5x7 holders in the camera...

Nana Sousa Dias
31-Jan-2009, 03:28
Nana, I develop all my LF films in 2830 print drum. I think the the 3063 tank of yours could be used to develop the 5x8 size too. My drum has ridges on the inside, which allow either placing 4 13x18cm (5x7") sheets with the shorter side of the film along the axis of the tank (and the longer side bent around the circle of the drum). It's also intended to develop 2 sheets of 8x10" with the longer side along the axis of the tank - and 1 sheet 8x10" is 2 sheets of 8x5" placed next to each other :) So if you load the 8x10 film in the tank in the same way, you could also develop a 8x5" (5x8") film.

Try cutting a paper and loading it in the developing drum...

The 5x8" format is a very nice one aestheticaly. The only downside is the high price of the Chamonix holders - but this is relative, and subjective too.

Ken Lee has presented some extraordinary work in this format in the past 6 moths (+-) among others (sorry for not mentioning by name, I can't remember them at the moment).

(Btw., I'm looking for a way to develop my quarter plate [3 1/4 x 4 1/4] films - they won't hold in the 2509N reel, and are too small to be placed in the 2830 drum. Does anyone of you have a way to develop them in Jobo tanks, or a non-expensive dedicated way? Thanks)

Well, after thinking a bit about 5x7" and 5x8", I decided to go for 5x7" because of a "little" detail I have forgotten, wich is the fact that my enlarger is a Durst 139G wich can deal with 5x7" negatives, maximum. I still enlarge my photos and use fiberbase baryted paper, I don't enjoy inkjet (at least, for this week, because we never know what comes next!!!!).
I've been watching the Chamonix 5x7 black walnut horizontal model, I enjoyed it a lot, it's small and light and I can build a 4x5 back for it, if they don't sell one of those.

Jiri Vasina
31-Jan-2009, 03:58
Nana, be careful, the "horizontal models only" usually have fixed back so it might be difficult/impossible to make a reduction back for them. From my knowledge, it's not possible to have a regular reduction back (like the one I have for my 5x8 camera, which is here (http://www.vasina.net/?p=711)). You can easily build a back for the horizontal/vertical model in any size, but not for the horizontal only. That is the price you pay for the camera being lighter and smaller...

Do check with the factory, if it's possible.

Nana Sousa Dias
31-Jan-2009, 04:12
Nana, be careful, the "horizontal models only" usually have fixed back so it might be difficult/impossible to make a reduction back for them. From my knowledge, it's not possible to have a regular reduction back (like the one I have for my 5x8 camera, which is here (http://www.vasina.net/?p=711)). You can easily build a back for the horizontal/vertical model in any size, but not for the horizontal only. That is the price you pay for the camera being lighter and smaller...

Do check with the factory, if it's possible.

Thank you for the advise but, I had been watching that closely and, if you look well, you can see that the back on this horizontal model has the very same lockers on the upper borders of the back, that the normal model has. I think the back is detachable, but not rotatable, because the back is rectangular, not square.
http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/_images/57c.jpg

Jiri Vasina
31-Jan-2009, 05:00
Yes, from that photo it would seem you are right. It seems to be detachable.

I have just checked the 5x8 horizontal only model pictures and they lack the lockers - so my previous comment might concern only the 5x8 model, and not the other.

Steve M Hostetter
31-Jan-2009, 13:40
Down on Wildcat Creek, 8x10 165mm Schneider fujichrome processed myself:p Myself and a friend just about froze when the wind came up but had a blast

Steve M Hostetter
31-Jan-2009, 13:55
McCormick's Creek state park, 8x10 fujichrom 300mm GR Dagor

Steve M Hostetter
31-Jan-2009, 14:11
Crescent City,Ca Marina 8x10 210mm 5.6XL just going home

Bruce M. Herman
31-Jan-2009, 20:33
I apologize for my tardy replies. Darn day job!

Thanks to you all for your generous comments.

David, the largest print that I've made to date is an 11x14. Please contact me offline if you're interested in a print of this size or larger.

SamReeves
1-Feb-2009, 00:07

Awesome work! :)

Crescent City,Ca Marina 8x10 210mm 5.6XL just going home

I can smell the fish now. Nice work! :)

Steve M Hostetter
1-Feb-2009, 08:19
thank you Sam:)

Darren H
1-Feb-2009, 08:54
Here is one of a well known classic-Mesa Arch in Canyonlands National Park.

This was taken last fall on a cloudless morning. I got there at 5am (I was the first person there) to be plenty early to have my pick of spots. By the time the sun rose there were 40 people jockeying for position.

One of the hardest things with this image was making sure there were no tripod legs in the image.

Arca-Swiss Discovery
Nikon 75mm lens
Velvia
Scanned on an Epson 4990

cjbroadbent
1-Feb-2009, 09:06
This is Genoa with the home-made fixed focus 5x7 box which has replaced all my panoramic gear.

Nana Sousa Dias
1-Feb-2009, 09:18
This is Genoa with the home-made fixed focus 5x7 box which has replaced all my panoramic gear.

Nice shot. Can you show us your home made 5x7?

Nana Sousa Dias
1-Feb-2009, 09:24
Wista 45 DX, Fuji SWD 90/5.6, Fuji Velvia 50.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5645/ribamarcor1bx4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Steve M Hostetter
1-Feb-2009, 09:37
Wista 45 DX, Fuji SWD 90/5.6, Fuji Velvia 50.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5645/ribamarcor1bx4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Nana,, nice shot.. It's not incredibly saturated like I remember Velvia 50 to be

Nana Sousa Dias
1-Feb-2009, 09:57
Nana,, nice shot.. It's not incredibly saturated like I remember Velvia 50 to be

I've desaturated a bit in photoshop, it was a bit "unreal", this is more or less what I was seeing at the time I shot it.

AlexLF
1-Feb-2009, 10:09
This one taken with Linhof Technikardan 45S and Rodenstock 75mm lens on Fuji Velvia 100:

http://modelportfolio.ru/forumspics/valleybest-small.jpg

darr
1-Feb-2009, 10:27
This one taken with Linhof Technikardan 45S and Rodenstock 75mm lens on Fuji Velvia 100

That is really beautiful Alex!!

darr
1-Feb-2009, 10:28
Here is one of a well known classic-Mesa Arch in Canyonlands National Park.

This was taken last fall on a cloudless morning. I got there at 5am (I was the first person there) to be plenty early to have my pick of spots. By the time the sun rose there were 40 people jockeying for position.

One of the hardest things with this image was making sure there were no tripod legs in the image.

Arca-Swiss Discovery
Nikon 75mm lens
Velvia
Scanned on an Epson 4990

Wow! I see no tripod legs!!
Beautiful Darren!

cjbroadbent
1-Feb-2009, 10:44
Nice shot. Can you show us your home made 5x7?
Nana, that seascape of yours is very impressive!
The box is on web.mac.com/cjbroadbent/Site/fivebyseven

h2oman
1-Feb-2009, 13:44
Crater Lake

90mm, polarizer, Astia converted to B&W

http://www.greggwaterman.com/crater_6x12_small.jpg

Nana Sousa Dias
1-Feb-2009, 17:51

Thank you!

I couldn't enter the link...

Marko
1-Feb-2009, 21:16

Thank you!

I couldn't enter the link...

It is actually web.mac.com/cjbroadbent/Site/fivebyseven.html (http://web.mac.com/cjbroadbent/Site/fivebyseven.html)

There was no extension (.html) in the quote. Don't miss visiting Cristopher's main site too, it's impressive!

sanking
1-Feb-2009, 22:03
Really wonderful image.

Sandy King

Rodney Polden
2-Feb-2009, 05:06
This one taken with Linhof Technikardan 45S and Rodenstock 75mm lens on Fuji Velvia 100:

http://modelportfolio.ru/forumspics/valleybest-small.jpg

Lovely scene, Alex - well done. Where was that one taken?

Nana Sousa Dias
2-Feb-2009, 05:18
Really wonderful image.

Sandy King

Thank You, Sandy

Steve Gledhill
2-Feb-2009, 05:19
Crater Lake

90mm, polarizer, Astia converted to B&W

http://www.greggwaterman.com/crater_6x12_small.jpg

The choice of the polarizer was just right. The snow is rendered beautifully.

Nana Sousa Dias
2-Feb-2009, 05:34

Impressive still life photos on your site, Christopher! Fantastic Light!
I've already seen you 5x7 box and guess what, I already had those photos in a folder!
I am studying the way of building a point & shoot 5x7 and 4x5 camera, and I've been searching the web, by "home made large format cameras" I had already seen yours. Simple, but effective, congratulations. I just didn't understood why you put quick releases on both top and bottom, should'nt be more desirable to have one on bottom and another on one side?

cjbroadbent
2-Feb-2009, 06:08
... I just didn't understood why you put quick releases on both top and bottom, should'nt be more desirable to have one on bottom and another on one side?
The box is for panoramas and replaces some expensive gear that did not have up-shift. So at ground level, the box's shift clears the foreground and from the heights, it gets more foreground. Would be just right for your beautiful shot from the cliffs.

AlexLF
2-Feb-2009, 10:03
That is really beautiful Alex!!

Thank you!

AlexLF
2-Feb-2009, 10:04
Lovely scene, Alex - well done. Where was that one taken?

This is Pyrenees. This is first time I got there!

PaulRicciardi
2-Feb-2009, 15:06
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3437/3248882234_59cd824267.jpg

8x10, Efke Positive Paper, Diafine, Toned

Steve M Hostetter
2-Feb-2009, 17:35
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3437/3248882234_59cd824267.jpg

8x10, Efke Positive Paper, Diafine, Toned

Good work Paul,, very inspiring .. I'm gonna try me some positive paper shots sometime. Thx for sharing

Darren H
2-Feb-2009, 19:14
Wow! I see no tripod legs!!
Beautiful Darren!

Thanks. Mesa Arch is a great location but it sure does draw the crowds in.

PaulRicciardi
4-Feb-2009, 17:48
Good work Paul,, very inspiring .. I'm gonna try me some positive paper shots sometime. Thx for sharing

Thanks Steve, the positive paper is hard to control at first but I'm getting the hang of it. I'm about halfway through my first pack of 25 in the 8x10 size and I'm just now managing to get the hang of exposing and developing this paper.
Here's another with the positive paper:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3016/3250855160_0c4531e269.jpg

Nana Sousa Dias
4-Feb-2009, 18:23
Thanks Steve, the positive paper is hard to control at first but I'm getting the hang of it. I'm about halfway through my first pack of 25 in the 8x10 size and I'm just now managing to get the hang of exposing and developing this paper.
Here's another with the positive paper:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3016/3250855160_0c4531e269.jpg

Paul, I've never heard of this positive paper! It's a paper you put directly on the Film holder and gives you a positive image, without using a negative or am I dreaming?

vinny
4-Feb-2009, 18:31
yup! iso 1.5 roughly
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/22482-Fotokemika-Efke-BandW-Positive-Paper-Fiber-Base-Single-Weight-Matt

PaulRicciardi
4-Feb-2009, 18:33
Paul, I've never heard of this positive paper! It's a paper you put directly on the Film holder and gives you a positive image, without using a negative or am I dreaming?

That's exactly what it is! It is a paper that can be loaded into a film holder and can be shot in camera. After development you end up with a one of a kind positive print.

Efke makes it, and I believe Adox makes some as well. You can purchase it at Freestyle.

It is reported to have an ISO between 1 and 6 but I'm getting best results at ISO 1.5. It comes in sizes from 4x5 up to 16x20 but it is cut to the print sizes not the film holder sizes. If you want to use the paper in standard film holders you need to cut it down slightly. This isn't a problem as you can handle the paper under standard red safelight as the paper is orthochromatic and not sensitive to red light. At least that's what the box says.

I just went ahead and whipped up some custom film holders for the paper so I don't have to cut the paper and can load in complete darkness just to be safe.

The positive paper when processed in a standard paper developer (like dektol) is very contrasty even when souped in a very dilute mixture. After experimenting with a few developers (Dektol, D76, and Rodinal) I settled on Diafine. I've been able to yank continuous tones out of the paper with Diafine and the development process is very easy.

Go check the "still life" thread, I just posted another photo in that thread with the positive paper. I quite like the paper although I am still learning, but it's certainly made 8x10 more affordable and has inspired me to build a 16x20.

Nana Sousa Dias
4-Feb-2009, 19:31
That's exactly what it is! It is a paper that can be loaded into a film holder and can be shot in camera. After development you end up with a one of a kind positive print.

Efke makes it, and I believe Adox makes some as well. You can purchase it at Freestyle.

It is reported to have an ISO between 1 and 6 but I'm getting best results at ISO 1.5. It comes in sizes from 4x5 up to 16x20 but it is cut to the print sizes not the film holder sizes. If you want to use the paper in standard film holders you need to cut it down slightly. This isn't a problem as you can handle the paper under standard red safelight as the paper is orthochromatic and not sensitive to red light. At least that's what the box says.

I just went ahead and whipped up some custom film holders for the paper so I don't have to cut the paper and can load in complete darkness just to be safe.

The positive paper when processed in a standard paper developer (like dektol) is very contrasty even when souped in a very dilute mixture. After experimenting with a few developers (Dektol, D76, and Rodinal) I settled on Diafine. I've been able to yank continuous tones out of the paper with Diafine and the development process is very easy.

Go check the "still life" thread, I just posted another photo in that thread with the positive paper. I quite like the paper although I am still learning, but it's certainly made 8x10 more affordable and has inspired me to build a 16x20.

Thank you, Paul! Always learning...I've never imagined that was possible.

Nana Sousa Dias
4-Feb-2009, 20:23
Shen Hao HZX 45 IIA, Schneider Symmar-S 150/5.6, Rollei 400 IR, 89b IR filter

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1639/arribas1pl0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

luis moreno
6-Feb-2009, 09:46
This is Pyrenees. This is first time I got there!

Ordesa National Park, Spain. Great image, Alex.

Joe O'Hara
6-Feb-2009, 16:42
That's a very strong image, Nana.

Steve M Hostetter
6-Feb-2009, 17:00
bravo Nana !

Nana Sousa Dias
6-Feb-2009, 21:24
That's a very strong image, Nana.

Thanks, Joe.

Steve M Hostetter
7-Feb-2009, 17:21
light leak but kept it anyway 8x10" 115 6.8 Grandagon

Nana Sousa Dias
8-Feb-2009, 04:13
bravo Nana !

Thank you, Steve.

Nana Sousa Dias
8-Feb-2009, 04:15
light leak but kept it anyway 8x10" 115 6.8 Grandagon

Those light leaks are a pain in the ass! I have 4 Linhof 5x7 holders with that problem. Now, I never take the dark slides completely off, problem solved...

Nana Sousa Dias
8-Feb-2009, 04:22
Eastman Kodak 2D 8x10, Nikon W 210/5.6, Kodak Tmax 100, yellow filter. Barragem da Marateca, castelo Branco, Portugal.
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/595/barragemdamarateca1ol0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Rory_5244
8-Feb-2009, 08:31
8x10 FP4+ with a borrowed Petzval lens.

http://www.trinidaddreamscape.net/pichost/AS810_015w1.jpg

PaulRicciardi
8-Feb-2009, 08:34
Rory, that last one is beautiful

eddie
8-Feb-2009, 14:58
just a quick scan from craters of the moon idaho.

i will print it later in the DR

8x10 chamonix. schneider 240 convertible at 240

venchka
9-Feb-2009, 10:42
These photos are totally intimidating. And inspiring.

On the one hand, I say to myelf, "Self, why bother? You will never be this good."

On the other hand, I say to myself, "Self, get out there and practice. Perhaps someday you will be almost this good."

mandoman7
9-Feb-2009, 11:39
These photos are totally intimidating. And inspiring.

On the one hand, I say to myelf, "Self, why bother? You will never be this good."

On the other hand, I say to myself, "Self, get out there and practice. Perhaps someday you will be almost this good."

The greats have that exact same discussion, believe me. Its part of the creative process. The "am I worthy?" discussion. Speaking as a musician, I can say that good players go through worse forms of that before important gigs. Its your mind playing games, essentially.

What differentiates artists is not whether they have those thoughts, but where they go from there.

JY

venchka
9-Feb-2009, 11:51
Thanks JY!

UP is the only way I can go from here.

Steve Gledhill
9-Feb-2009, 12:56
Ok then. Im waiting for the arrival of my first large format camera. Really looking forward to getting it, and then getting out into the landscape with it. But in the meantime I was just wandering if people could post up some of there favorite landscape shot on LF. Be it a large sweeping vista, or intimate details. Just really as a source of inspiration to myself when i get my camera and others like me, who cant wait to get out there with there new kit and shoot the land around them.

Thanks in advance, Edd

Edd,
You've had 147 replies to your original post. What do you think - have we inspired you? I've certainly enjoyed many of the submissions here.

jvuokko
11-Feb-2009, 12:31
Near Helsinki, Finland, two nights ago. Symmar 210mm f11 2 minutes. 4x5 HP5+.

http://jukkavuokko.com/linkatut/lf/45_2009-01-09-06%20kuun%20valke.jpg

bspeed
11-Feb-2009, 13:18
Thanks JY!

UP is the only way I can go from here.

You (we) just need to travel, hike, beat the brush back to find some inspiring locations.

then the clouds and weather have to cooperate :)
All of the sudden, I am very much wanting angry clouds in my pics.

venchka
11-Feb-2009, 13:26
Aye! Angry clouds. Angry sky. Angry weather. Works for me.

Kirk Gittings
11-Feb-2009, 16:05
Nana, you do exquisite work

Eastman Kodak 2D 8x10, Nikon W 210/5.6, Kodak Tmax 100, yellow filter. Barragem da Marateca, castelo Branco, Portugal.
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/595/barragemdamarateca1ol0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Nana Sousa Dias
11-Feb-2009, 19:00
The greats have that exact same discussion, believe me. Its part of the creative process. The "am I worthy?" discussion. Speaking as a musician, I can say that good players go through worse forms of that before important gigs. Its your mind playing games, essentially.

What differentiates artists is not whether they have those thoughts, but where they go from there.

JY

I am a musician, too. What instrument do you play?

Nana Sousa Dias
11-Feb-2009, 19:01
Nana, you do exquisite work

Thank You, Kirk.

mrladewig
16-Feb-2009, 19:58
A couple fresh from the developer. I've finally set down to start developing the negatives that have piled up. The first is aspens from this fall with a red filter on Ilford Delta 100. The second is from last May in the Maze District of Canyonlands on TMX.

Jiri Vasina
26-Apr-2009, 10:33
I had to dig rather deep in the history to bring this thread back on. And it has taken me even longer to produce a hopefully decent shot to add... I hope the dry spell is over.

http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/jaro/p5x8-057_web.jpg

Country House

Chamonix 5×8", 5×8" Adox CHS 25, Schneider Xenar 210mm, Rodinal.

Louie Powell
26-Apr-2009, 11:12
Quarry, Dorset, VT. (The oldest marble quarry in North America, now the swimming hole for the Town of Dorset.)

jim kitchen
26-Apr-2009, 15:25
Dear Jiri,

Well young man, you certainly did dig deep, and you certainly found a beauty too... :)

Time from your craft, whether it is forced, or whether it is unerring, has a way of making you review your images, your purpose and your artistic intent, so much so, that a pause can enrich every intriguing aspect of your work. Your image is very evident of that effective pause. I do like the way you balance your images, and I do like your image's softer approach, which is reminiscent of another fine image maker within this forum, such as Ken Lee. I do believe that many folks within this forum enjoy your work, such as I do.

My hat is off to you, for bringing your fine work back to the forum...

jim k

I had to dig rather deep in the history to bring this thread back on. And it has taken me even longer to produce a hopefully decent shot to add... I hope the dry spell is over.

http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/jaro/p5x8-057_web.jpg

Country House

Chamonix 5×8", 5×8" Adox CHS 25, Schneider Xenar 210mm, Rodinal.

Jiri Vasina
26-Apr-2009, 22:07
Jim,

thanks a lot. I appreciate your comments very much...

Jiri

Brian Ellis
27-Apr-2009, 11:19
Perhaps he was talking about when scanned and displayed on the forum? But I agree, the final print is where you really see the difference. Compare an 8x10 contact print to a 35mm or medium format enlargement and tell me there is no difference!

I won't tell you there's NO difference, that's a little extreme. If I examined an 8x10 contact print and an 8x10 from a 6x7 negative (forget 35mm) with a loupe I'd see a difference. But just normal viewing? No, I don't think there's necessarily a meaningful difference between the two at 8x10 print size. However, I think a lot depends on the person making the prints. In my fairly extensive experience with both, it's much easier to make a good 8x10 contact print if you start with a good negative than it is to make a comparably good 8x10 print from a 6x7 negative. But if someone is a good enough printer I think they can make 8x10 prints from the two sources that are basically indistinguishable.

In fact I think one reason why some people think contact prints are so great is because they weren't very good printers when they were enlarging so their contact prints, being easier to do well, look dramatically better to them than their enlargements did. I came up with that thought after seeing an exhibit of Paul Stand's work, some of which was contact printed and some enlarged. The only way I could tell which prints were made which way was by reading the catalog. Which caused me to question the idea that a contact print is inherently and automatically better than an enlargement. Of course I could be entirely wrong too, it's just a thought.

argos33
28-Apr-2009, 17:40
Brian, you bring up some good points. I think there are many variables in both formats (such as film speed/type, sharpness of taking and enlarging lenses, etc) that might make one noticeably better than the other. A 6x7 negative enlarged from 400 speed film might be noticeably more grainy than the contact print as opposed to the same situation with 100 speed film used in both formats. I recently made some 8x8 inch prints from 6x6 negatives shot on a Hasselblad, and upon showing them to my brother the first thing he asked was "So is this a contact print?"

So overall I agree with you, but I still think there is some textural quality to the contact prints I've made that I can distinguish without a lupe. As far as how much that effects the overall experience of viewing the print, probably not much for most people, but if you have the money for the film and enjoy doing it for yourself why not.

Evan

scrapbooker
29-Apr-2009, 07:41
There are no much differences between these two photos. The Large format equipment is not giving any changes.

Richard Martel
29-Apr-2009, 10:38
Wow! What great photographs. Here's one from Hyder, AK. Salmon glacier. 5x7, Ilford fp4+, 210mm Apo Symmar, polarizer. Diafine. microtek 1800f.

Regards, Richard

Jiri Vasina
29-Apr-2009, 11:47
http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/jaro/p9x12-247_web.jpg

Spring forest

MPP MicroTechnical Mk.VII, Schneider Xenar 135mm, 9×12cm Fomapan 100, Rodinal.

Sometimes it's easier to go lightweight, especially if with the family... Just one lens, small format ( :) )...

rdenney
30-Apr-2009, 11:06
This thread is another great introduction to this forum, and I'm a bit overwhelmed by it.

But it also explains why I'm coming back to larger formats. I don't know about Bill, but I can see the tonality of the format even in small prints and web displays. These have what my work with digital and up through medium format for the last 15 years or so have lacked.

And I greatly appreciate Jim Kitchen's words to Jiri, which describes the review I've been engaged in for the last little while.

Thank you all for the great clarity of vision.

Rick "with no LF work currently in the digital domain to show, but hoping to correct that soon" Denney

venchka
30-Apr-2009, 11:28
Welcome! I know you will like this forum.

Jeffrey Sipress
30-Apr-2009, 15:08
Mariposa Grove, Yosemite Park, CA

http://machinearts.com/fredphotos/bigtrees1.jpg

Steve M Hostetter
30-Apr-2009, 15:41
Mariposa Grove, Yosemite Park, CA

http://machinearts.com/fredphotos/bigtrees1.jpg

Hot damn Jeffrey,,, always a pleasure to see your fine work..!

mrladewig
30-Apr-2009, 21:10
Crestone after a spring blizzard. E100G, 300/9M f32, 1/30.

http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/1991-1/45_E1G_20090430_002.jpg

mrladewig
30-Apr-2009, 21:15
My backyard during a spring squall. Taken April 25. Spring is slow to arrive here. The photo above was taken just a week before.

Portra 400NC, 300/9M, f45, 8 seconds

http://ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/1989-1/45_P4NC_20090430_001.jpg

mrladewig
30-Apr-2009, 21:53
Spring Cottonwoods, Garden of the Gods.
NPS 160, 300/9M, f32, 1

http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/1995-1/45_NPS_20090430_003_SL.jpg

julie nightingale
1-May-2009, 10:31
Hi Edd,
Here is my contribution to this post. THis was shot with high speed infrared film with 25a red filter Sinar 4X5 with 210 Schneider lens. In the hills around Santa Barbara. Back then I was really into the zone system.:)

mrladewig
1-May-2009, 13:52
Just out of curiosity, how on earth would you apply visualization and zone techniques to wavelengths you can't see?

I've never shot any IR films, so I'm just curious about them. Not trying to be critical.

ljsegil
1-May-2009, 14:43
I may have already tried to pass this one off on a sunset thread, but I can't find it, so forgive me if it's a repeat. Canham 5x7, Provia 100F, 150mm SSXL. I like the glow, but I'm probably too easily pleased.
LJS

Phil O.
1-May-2009, 18:39
LJS,

Speaking as a seasoned cloud chaser, I have to say that your sunset image is one of the nicest cloud formations I've seen in a good long while.

Steve M Hostetter
2-May-2009, 19:44
Great work here! Silo, Sinar P 480mm 8.4 Symmar on 8x10" Tmax400 in D-76 scan neg
in northwest Indiana

ljsegil
3-May-2009, 08:04
Thanks Phil, that formation certainly caught my eye (and several sheets of film).
Attached here, no clouds, but running water (comes from clouds, I guess), Wehman 8x10, Astia (when will more 8x10 become available again???), Fuji A 240mm.
LJS

julie nightingale
3-May-2009, 08:35
Just out of curiosity, how on earth would you apply visualization and zone techniques to wavelengths you can't see?

I've never shot any IR films, so I'm just curious about them. Not trying to be critical.

Hey mrladewig, We used the zone system for exposing and developing infrared film. Even though incident and incandescent light meters are barely sensitive to infrared wave lengths we used spot meters and had calibrated them to give us the dynamic range needed to plot optimal exposure for HSIR. I was attending a technical photography school back then and everything we did was buttoned up almost to the point of lunacy. Reflecting back its no wonder I've been anal my whole life. - We checked and double-triple checked our metering and the exposure of our film and took crazy ass notes on everything. To this day I remember cursing the incoming cloud formations in front of my trusty Cambo clamped to that flimsy Husky! And film handling ... we even monitored the temperature of the coolers that were stashed in the interior of our cars under the hot Californian sun. Film processing ... making sure temperatures were always accurate, agitation was as consistent as possible and chemistry was accurate and replenished religiously in excruciatingly accurate amounts with no contamination!!. We were graded not only on the subject matter we chose to shoot but on the density in ten areas of the negative. They used a densitometer. Grueling wonderful days but days I cherish and hold dear! I learned allot!

Jiri Vasina
3-May-2009, 10:01
I hope you'll like this one:

http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/jaro/p5x8-061_web.jpg

Old Orchard II

Chamonix 5×8", Meyer Aristostigmat 160mm, Adox CHS 25 in 5×8", Rodinal.

Richard Martel
3-May-2009, 10:14
Jiri, That is just lovely..

Regards, Richard

Jiri Vasina
3-May-2009, 22:03
Thanks Richard

Jiri

Ulrich Drolshagen
3-May-2009, 23:02
Hi,

these are my first moderately successful attempts in the realm of LF. A rather poor yield out of two boxes but I hope on getting better :)

Ulrich

http://www.ulrich-drolshagen.de/images/20090409133844_bill_zweig.jpg

http://www.ulrich-drolshagen.de/tmp/Juist_seascape2_klein.jpg

Chamonix 4x5, Symmar f5.6/150mm, HP5+ and D100, the second one is a crop as I had issues with the lower edge.

David Hedley
4-May-2009, 03:48
Lower Antelope Canyon
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3554/3462667729_4b93278a0c_b.jpg
Toyo metal field (4x5), Fujinon 90mm, Acros / Rodinal
f/11, 1s

jim kitchen
4-May-2009, 04:15
Dear Ulrich,

Well done...

Your good yield will make me a jealous person. :)

jim k

Hi,

these are my first moderately successful attempts in the realm of LF. A rather poor yield out of two boxes but I hope on getting better :)

Ulrich

jim kitchen
4-May-2009, 04:22
Dear David,

You obviously know about this fabulous place, and you obviously created a fabulous image... :)

Damn, I must get back to your part of the world.

jim k

Lower Antelope Canyon

Matt_Bigwood
4-May-2009, 05:19
Picture of the village where I live.

Speed Graphic, Ektar 127mm with red filter, fomapan 200 film.http://gallery.photo.net/photo/9109355-lg.jpg

Bill Kumpf
4-May-2009, 08:52
Matt,

I like that - A good shot.

tmastran
4-May-2009, 21:37
I hope you'll like this one:

http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/jaro/p5x8-061_web.jpg

Old Orchard II

Chamonix 5×8", Meyer Aristostigmat 160mm, Adox CHS 25 in 5×8", Rodinal.

I do like this one! The tones, the light, the shadows. It's exactly where I'd like to spend a quiet afternoon.

Just one little thing I would do, along the right edge, about 60% up there is a small bright hole in the sky, and another a little to the left. Personally I'd remove them just because my eye is drawn to them, and I'm weird that way.

Jiri Vasina
4-May-2009, 21:58
I do like this one! The tones, the light, the shadows. It's exactly where I'd like to spend a quiet afternoon.

Just one little thing I would do, along the right edge, about 60% up there is a small bright hole in the sky, and another a little to the left. Personally I'd remove them just because my eye is drawn to them, and I'm weird that way.

Ted, thanks for the suggestion. There were breaks in the clouds with brightly lit cumulus mountains, and that is the nature of the light patches. But I understand they might be distracting. I'll try the modification, look at both versions for some time (have them work their own), and then maybe, your version would be better ;)

Jiri

Jiri Vasina
12-May-2009, 13:19
And here is a new one from me:

http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/jaro/p5x8-062_web.jpg

Field lines

Chamonix 5×8", Schneider Xenar 210mm, Adox CHS 25 in 5×8", Rodinal.

Jiri

Gene McCluney
12-May-2009, 13:51
Absolutely serious as a heart attack. Do you know something that I don't?

If you think working with a Large Format camera is such a waste of time, why are you posting on this Large Format Photography Forum?

jim kitchen
12-May-2009, 20:40
Dear Jiri,

Well done, young man... :)

Excellent balance.

jim k

Jiri

Eirik Berger
13-May-2009, 01:49
Fjordnibba at Tempelfjorden on Svalbard. Midnight sun (shot at 1 am)
4x5" Fomapan 200 with deep red filter. Maybe a little over the top regarding filter. :)

gevalia
13-May-2009, 02:10
Sandstone in Willis Creek slot (outside Cannonville, UT). TMAX 400 in Prescysol EF.

http://ronmiller.smugmug.com/photos/530055138_TnCCn-S.jpg

Gary L. Quay
13-May-2009, 08:23
The Columbia River from the Washington side.

Camera:Linhof Technica
Lens: Linhof 135mm
Film: Fuji NPS 160

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2049/3528683852_880bd072b5.jpg

Allen in Montreal
13-May-2009, 10:45
Juri,

Beautiful picture!
As much as I like the 5x7, there is something special about the 5x8 format.

Field lines

Jiri

Patrick Dixon
13-May-2009, 10:58
Not sure where to post this one - it's in England, so no mountains or canyons.

My first LF attempt.

Busch Pressman D
Kodak Ektar 127mm/f4.7
Provia 100F
1s@f22

Wild Garlic in Woodland

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3062/3527995465_03b91ef627.jpg?v=0

[EDIT]Dunno why it won't show in line with IMG tags ...

venchka
13-May-2009, 11:10
Patrick, very nice.

The more photos that I see made with that lens, I am glad that I own one.

csant
13-May-2009, 11:23
Patrick, place and around the link to the picture - without any spaces in between.

Jiri, beautiful shot! I really love the tonality in your shots - very subtle balance. And I agree with Allen, there is something very special about 5x8…

Eirik, very nice shot - when was it taken?

Eirik Berger
13-May-2009, 11:28
It was taken one of the last days in April 2007. The midnight sun is just above the horizon coming in from the right.
And yes, it was very far down two steps to the right… :(

Eirik, very nice shot - when was it taken?

Jeremy Moore
13-May-2009, 11:44
Are urban landscapes okay?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3599/3496119416_4b2c19de06.jpg

8"x10" delta 100. 240mm f/9 Fujinon

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3539/3495352681_05f6ff5aee.jpg

8"x10" delta 100. 360mm f/6.3 Fujinon.

Jiri Vasina
13-May-2009, 11:49
Dear Jim, Allen, csant,

thanks a lot for the kind words. They are always pleasing to hear.

As per the aspect ratio of 5x8, vs. 5x7/13x18cm, for quite a lot of images, the longer 5x8 one works better. I think it's because that is closer to a natural field of vision - it's more panoramic. But I have found, that for vertical shots, the reverse is true more often: the 5x7/13x18cm work usually better, exactly because it's not so long, more squarish. But yes, I'm still in love with the versatility of my Chamonix 5x8 camera (and yes, Hugo, this may be an ad ;) )...

Now the tonality. Part of the visual appeal of my images is thanks to Ken Lee: I'm still using his method of toning the images, although very slightly modified (yes Ken, thanks again ;) ). And also, not so long ago I have found that the best think I can do to my images as the last step is to add an inverted S-curve to reduce the contrast just a tad. It helps a lot. Several times, I have had suggestions to increase contrast in the images (especially outside the LFphoto forum), but I prefer softer, smoother, longer gradation. I have not seen any platinum print yet, but my impression (from what I have read) is that I would like that...

(And to ilustrate the point of different aspect ratios, at the moment I'm reading here and alternately working on a different view of the cherry tree and the field, this time shot on 13x18cm. That one would not work so well on 5x8... I'll post it in the Trees thread when it's finished. Here is a link to the image in the Trees thread (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=467560&postcount=905).)

Jiri

Jrewt
13-May-2009, 15:25
Here is one from me =)

http://www.emulsionfoodphotography.com/images/sand.patterns.worms.jpg

Patrick Dixon
14-May-2009, 00:09
Patrick, place and around the link to the picture - without any spaces in between.

They're there, but being ignored. Perhaps the forum has a quality filter ...

venchka
14-May-2009, 04:59
If that were the case, I wouldn't be allowed here.

Jeremey, your photos are allowed as far as I'm concerned.

Marko
14-May-2009, 05:57
Wild Garlic in Woodland

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3062/3527995465_03b91ef627.jpg?v=0

[EDIT]Dunno why it won't show in line with IMG tags ...

Patrick,

If you look at the url of your image when you place it in the box/between the img tags, you'll notice it ends with:

(...)f627.jpg?v=0

Just delete the ?v=0 and your image will show. Like this:

Wild Garlic in Woodland

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3062/3527995465_03b91ef627.jpg

What happens is that the question mark acts as a control (special function) character in the url and it confuses some programs, apparently the forum software too. Simply remove it and everything after that and the problem is solved.

Nice image, BTW. :)

Patrick Dixon
14-May-2009, 08:54
Ahh, thanks, and thanks!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3062/3527995465_03b91ef627.jpg

venchka
14-May-2009, 09:00
As I was saying.........

Very nice photograph. The lens is in very capable hands. Further proof that the Kodak Ektar 127mm/4.7 lens is quite good, underrated and overlooked.

csant
14-May-2009, 09:40
View across Kjosen, a deep fjord cutting Lyngen Alps, in Northern Norway, virtually in two. Angulon 120, Tri-X 320 4x5.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3464/3349357107_0f3b5f047e_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/csant/3349357107/)

Eirik Berger
14-May-2009, 17:48
csant, don´t make me homesick:o
Lyngen has huge potential for LF-photographers. Do you live in Northern Norway?

csant
14-May-2009, 22:46
Eirik, no I live in Oslo - but my favourite travel destination is The North ;)

Patrick Dixon
15-May-2009, 10:02
Thanks Wayne. It looked a bit grubby, but seems to have cleaned up well. I might have to try some more Ektars.

darr
15-May-2009, 10:25

Field lines

Jiri

Very Beautiful Jiri!!

Alex Hawley
15-May-2009, 20:22
Monument Rocks, Gove County, Kansas.
4x5 TMY-2, Pyrocat HD, negative scan

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3647/3435730048_e2476b6f59_o.jpg

Gary L. Quay
15-May-2009, 21:40
Spudscape!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3628/3534775558_4ded07e5b9.jpg

Jiri Vasina
15-May-2009, 23:26
Thanks Darlene.

Here is another one from that same day - and shot only 50 or 100 meters away...

http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/jaro/p13x18-206_web.jpg

Hat

Chamonix 5×8", Schneider Xenar 210mm, Fomapan 100 in 13×18cm, Rodinal.

Thomas Greutmann
16-May-2009, 05:44
Last weekend, early morning, less than a mile from home.

http://www.blackandwhitegallery.de/sample/000516-fi-bielefeld-morning-fog.jpg

Linhof Technikardan 4x5 with APO Ronar 360. TMAX 100 developed in XTOL 1+0

dazedgonebye
18-May-2009, 06:37
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2316/3541542696_aec8bdcc43_o.jpg

Gran View 4x5 75mm Super Angulon TXP in Barry's 2-Bath developer

jvuokko
18-May-2009, 07:24
Coast of Enoshima island, Japan.
Hasemi Field Technical 45, 5.6/150mm Symmar-S, ADOX Pan 25, f/22 2sec.

http://jukkavuokko.com/linkatut/lf/45_2009-02-26-6%20enoshima.jpg

keeds
18-May-2009, 13:41
Chamonix 4x5 | Grandagon 90/6.3 | Ilford Fp4+

Jiri Vasina
18-May-2009, 13:48
Keeds,

I usually hate power lines in pictures (they spoil a lot of nice landscape views IMO), but here they are excellent, they just make the picture...

Jiri

Ken Lee
18-May-2009, 15:52
http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/l61.jpg
Maine Coast, May 2009
Sinar P, 210 Braunschweig Heliar
4x5 Kodak TMY, Pyrocat HD

brad martin
18-May-2009, 16:18
Keeds,

Nicely done.

Steve M Hostetter
18-May-2009, 16:22
North end of the Dean farm where actor James Dean grew up.. 300mm Tmax400

Fairmont IN

Steve M Hostetter
19-May-2009, 08:55
300mm Goerz Tmax400 neg

the one shot is of a recreated Indian dwelling on the banks of the Mississinewa river

venchka
20-May-2009, 06:06
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2316/3541542696_aec8bdcc43_o.jpg

Gran View 4x5 75mm Super Angulon TXP in Barry's 2-Bath developer

You got it all fixed. Super.

Who said it was hopeless?

julie nightingale
20-May-2009, 06:22
Very Beautiful Jiri!!

:) Dar that is a beauty.
JN

julie nightingale
20-May-2009, 06:24

Field lines

Jiri
I am sorry! I reviewed to quickly. That is a BEAUTIFUL shot Jiri!

Steve M Hostetter
21-May-2009, 19:24
Portland Arch nature preserve last winter ,, 300mm Goerz 8x10 4721 B&W film D-76

Steve Gledhill
22-May-2009, 00:08
keeds,
Jiri's words reflect exactly my view. Your superb image serves as a great reminder for us to keep our eyes open and our prejudices in check.

Jiri Vasina
22-May-2009, 01:32
Maine Coast, May 2009
Sinar P, 210 Braunschweig Heliar
4x5 Kodak TMY, Pyrocat HD

Ken, this is a strange image. At first sight, there is nothing so special about it, maybe the softness, maybe the high-key tonality. But yet, I have to return to that image again and again, and the more I look at it, the more I like, the more I think about it. And this is IMO the attribute making an extraordinary image.

Jiri

rdenney
22-May-2009, 09:05
Ken, this is a strange image. At first sight, there is nothing so special about it, maybe the softness, maybe the high-key tonality. But yet, I have to return to that image again and again, and the more I look at it, the more I like, the more I think about it. And this is IMO the attribute making an extraordinary image.

Jiri

I agree. I've always liked quality high-key work, but have never been able to do it myself. In this case, it appears to be a gray day, or perhaps it is dusk. But it's a wonderful treatment of low-contrast conditions and a perfect application of craft for the subject.

Rick "inspired and intimidated by the work shown on this forum" Denney

Bill_1856
22-May-2009, 10:20

Jiri

Jiri, thanks for pointing it out. My first time through I didn't think it was anything special (sort of a B&W version of "Cape Light). But on review it is really a magnificant image -- as perfect and compelling as Paul Caponigro's best.
Nice work, Ken.

venchka
22-May-2009, 10:30

Rick "inspired and intimidated by the work shown on this forum" Denney

I could not have said it any better.

Ken's work continues to inspire me. I know we can not tell from the small jpeg on our monitors, but I don't think that there is any black in that photo. So much for always striving for black, white & a lot of gray in between.

Wayne "Unlearning and relearning every day" in Texas.

Steve M Hostetter
23-May-2009, 16:10
rescan, The Dean Farm

spiky247
23-May-2009, 22:40
here is my first try at shooting landscapes with large format, for shooting landscapes with any camera for that matter. I tend to feel more comfortable shooting in an urban environment. to me the main challenge of landscape photography is find ways to frame the landscape, when the landscape itself is all around you.

to me the real magic of large format, whether landscapes of anything else for that matter is seeing it printed LARGE

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3581/3518032534_5c285d7017_b.jpg

Toyo VX125, Nikkor 270mm f/16 on T-max 100

jvuokko
24-May-2009, 05:43
Boulders and sea at the Cape Porkkala, Finland. The sun was really low, it was about hour before a sunset. Here in the north, sunset lasts quite long :)

Hasemi Field Technical 45, Super-Angulon 8/90mm, f/32 2 sec. Fuji Acros.
http://jukkavuokko.com/linkatut/lf/45_2009-05-16-0_rantakivet_porkkala-toned_750.jpg

jim kitchen
24-May-2009, 07:55
Well Spikey,

Your first image is quite amazing...

Don't stop climbing. :)

jim k

here is my first try at shooting landscapes with large format, for shooting landscapes with any camera for that matter. I tend to feel more comfortable shooting in an urban environment. to me the main challenge of landscape photography is find ways to frame the landscape, when the landscape itself is all around you.

Jeremy Moore
24-May-2009, 08:21
A few more urban landscapes, all seen while adventuring out at night at my apartment complex.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3405/3495907374_7ab5b0678f.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3189/3495910374_6650eee4ec.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3363/3495092519_083ed20f35.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3630/3495906834_1ba9ffc172.jpg

Steve M Hostetter
27-May-2009, 12:36
after sunset 480mm 8x10 Tmax400

sanking
31-May-2009, 22:45
LF landscape.

dominikus bw
1-Jun-2009, 23:03
Hallo everyone, a few shoots from my last trip...
Sinar F1 with Fujinon W 135/5.6 & Schneider Symmar-S 210/5.6, Kodak TMY 400

Dominikus BW

darr
2-Jun-2009, 03:50
LF landscape.

Nice colors! Where was this made Sandy?

sanking
2-Jun-2009, 16:41
Nice colors! Where was this made Sandy?

Hi Darr,

This was made near Ponferrada in northwestern Spain, in the autonomía known today as Castilla y León. The place is called "Las Médulas" (the marrows) and is an ancient roman gold mine. It is one of several places in Spain that have the UNESCO designation of "Patrimonio de la Humanidad". It is truly a spectacular view and a site that is much less well known that many others in Spain.

Sandy King

Jiri Vasina
3-Jun-2009, 13:11
http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/jaro/p4x6-0191_web.jpg

Leaning (in the Wind)

The composition here is same as one of my previous shots. At first I did not want to present the shot, because of this similarity. I showed it to my wife (my art-judge), and she said she liked it a lot. But anyway I did not post it anywhere. Then several days later she asked me what were the reactions to this photo, and I said I did not present it on the web. She then insisted that I should post it, and what is even more surprising to me, she said, that she likes this version even more, than the previous one (called "Leaning" (http://www.vasina.net/?p=360))...

So here it is for you to consider...

Chamonix 5×8″, Schneider Repro-Claron 305mm, 4¾×6½”, Wephota NP 15, Rodinal.

venchka
3-Jun-2009, 13:49
Jiri,

Wives always know best. Listen to her!

Jiri Vasina
3-Jun-2009, 13:56
:) :)

I'm married only 6 years, how should I have known :D

But one learns from ones mistakes... ;)

Thanks, Wayne

Jiri

darr
3-Jun-2009, 14:52
The composition here is same as one of my previous shots. At first I did not want to present the shot, because of this similarity. I showed it to my wife (my art-judge), and she said she liked it a lot. But anyway I did not post it anywhere. Then several days later she asked me what were the reactions to this photo, and I said I did not present it on the web. She then insisted that I should post it, and what is even more surprising to me, she said, that she likes this version even more, than the previous one (called "Leaning" (http://www.vasina.net/?p=360))...

So here it is for you to consider...

Chamonix 5×8″, Schneider Repro-Claron 305mm, 4¾×6½”, Wephota NP 15, Rodinal.

Your wife is right!! :D
Great shot Jiri!

Best,
Darr

Steve M Hostetter
4-Jun-2009, 19:01
Wildcat creek, Sinar P/8x10 Schneider 165mm Angulon

Joe O'Hara
9-Jun-2009, 07:40
Two from this year...

Allen in Montreal
9-Jun-2009, 08:30
Very nice Joe, I really like the first one very much.
There is some really nice work being done lately in many of threads, seems like everyone is on a roll.