PDA

View Full Version : Software for scanning: why not using the original one?

lungovw
26-Dec-2008, 09:07
Hello,

I have an Epson 4870 PHOTO and normally I use the original software supplied by Epson. My assumption is that they probably know better how to "read" their own equipment. Besides the user interface that is not good at all, could the more experienced guys tell me whether I am missing something in the final scanning quality?
Would SilverFast, or any other, give me better results out of the same negative?

Regards,

Wagner

Joanna Carter
26-Dec-2008, 10:28
I have used both the 4870 and the V700 with the standard Epson driver, no problems at all, wonderful scans, excellent tonalities.

Brian Ellis
26-Dec-2008, 10:31
I'm not a scanning software expert but I've used the Epson software that comes with the 4990 (not the 4870) and also SilverFast Ai and Vuescan. I don't know that there's anything inherent in Silverfast or Vuescan that automatically produces "better results" simply by pushing a button. However, there are more controls, adjustments, etc. than are available with the Epson software so that if you learn how to use them you can produce "better" results. The downside is that it isn't easy to learn how to use them. I never found Vuescan or the on-line Help very user-friendly. Silverfast Ai includes some good tutorials if you don't fall asleep listening to the guy with the German accent droning on and on. There's also a very helpful book "Silverfast: The Official Guide" by Taz Tally. I don't know if the book is still available or how up-to-date it is but I found it very helpful when I started using Silverfast about five years ago.

Aender Brepsom
26-Dec-2008, 12:22
Just like Joanna, I use the Epson V700 with the Epson software. No problems.
I do use Vuescan with the Polaroid Sprintscan 120 since it is the only software that is still compatible with Vista. The original software works with Windows XP which I still have on a laptop, and since I prefer the old software (probably because I am used to it), I sometimes use the laptop for some scans.
Some time ago, I tried Silverfast, but as I was not willing to spend hours and hours learning how to get the best out of it, and since I am happy with the results from the Polaroid software, I have stopped using Silverfast.

Scott Knowles
26-Dec-2008, 12:35
I used the original Epson software that came with the V750 along with Silverfast's basic software. Since I also have a Nikon Coolscan 5000ED scanner and got tired of their software, I upgraded both to Silver AI IT8 (w/ calibration films) and found the scanners and software better and easier, but only a little better at producing results.

Silverfast's advantage is faster scanning and and unlike the other two, has a prescan preview with all the applied adjustments. Once you like the results, you set the scan, and it applies the adjustments and writes the file. It also color calibrates the scanner using their film or page samples.

Fred L
26-Dec-2008, 13:11
Just got a v700 during a door crasher sale at Vistek (Cdn store). Have used variety of Epsons (2450,4490 and XL 10000 at work) and never really got on with Silverfast. Have used Epson scan in professional mode and it has plenty of tweakability for me.

Unless I upgraded to Silverfast AI, I can't batch scan, which is a real time saver. Epson Scan has this feature and you can also save settings which also makes life a bit easier.

Epson scan, afaik, also saves preview levels. If I'm scanning a set of panoramas, I set levels etc. for each frame, then batch scan, if this is what Scott is referring to of course.

Did a quick and dirty comparison of scans with Silverfast SE and Espon scan and I can't see much if any difference. Perhaps AI would show more.

Bruce Pollock
26-Dec-2008, 15:42
Santa just brought me a v700 and I'm interested in Fred's comment that the Epson Scan software allows batch scanning. Maybe I'm thick, but I've just been playing with the controls and don't see this option. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Peter De Smidt
26-Dec-2008, 17:43
The only reason to get other software is if the OEM software doesn't give you the results you'd like. In my case, Nikon scan does a great job with my Coolscan V and color slides but a fairly poor job with BW. For me, Vuescan worked better for bw. But here's the cool thing. Do you best in your OEM software. Then, if you feel like it, download the free trial of Vuescan. Compare results.

Fred L
26-Dec-2008, 17:48
When I scan a bunch of 6x6 frames, I preview 6 (2 rows of 3) at a time.

I marquee/select and crop each frame. I do rough levels and corrections as well. I do this for each one. After I've done this, I select all (apple A or use the ALL button). When I start the batch scan, I usually choose a destination folder and an appropriate file name.

If I name the files as rocks_ then they will get scanned and numbered sequentially. rocks_1.jpg, rocks_2.jpg etc etc.

You NEED to select all to do this. When I was using the 2450, I had to scan single frames=boring and time consuming. With the v700, presto ! and it scans MUCH faster as well. The marching ants is the easy visual clue they'll get batched.

Bonus as well is that the 120 holders are wide enough to show a bit of rebate so no filing down the holders necessary. Woot !

Brian Ellis
27-Dec-2008, 09:04
I don't think "quick and dirty" comparisons, at least of Silverfast, or just making a few scans after a free download, will tell you much. At least for me, it took a lot of time and effort including a careful study of the book mentioned in my previous message, to learn how to use Silverfast to its best advantage. Vuescan's probably the same but I had a lot of difficulty with its interface so I'm not sure I ever did learn to use it to its best advantage.

Fred L
27-Dec-2008, 09:27
Brian's right in that to properly compare software, one needs to run comprehensive tests after learning how to utilize each one fully. I just wanted to see if there was any appreciable differences using my workflow.

I'm probably like many in that I scan mostly for web and light cataloguing. I've not gotten to the point of making archival backup copies and may not ever to be honest. I don't have the time nor energy to devote to going deep into learning scanning software.

I'm happy using Epson Scan but know others who swear by Silverfast AI and think ES bites.