PDA

View Full Version : Plz help me choosing a 4x5 camera

Ryan Kim
25-Dec-2008, 06:40
Hi, I'm Ryan.
I am pretty new to LF camera. I had a 4x10 canham with 5x7 back for few weeks, and I just gave up on them last week. I decided to go with 4x5 camera, for I do not really want large prints.
The cameras I have are Leica M, Rolleiflex, and Hasselblad 903swc. You probably noticed already that I am amature photographer by my camera collection.
I usually do street snaps and family portraits. I travel a lot too. So I am thinking about choosing a small filed view camera. What I can choose from where I live right now are Arca swiss Misura, Lihof technika series, and Ebonys. I like an Arca swiss Misura the most but Misura doesn't have neither rear tilt nor swing. I am not sure that would be a problem for someone like me who is usually shooting street snaps and portraits. I had tried my friend's technika 2000 and I had no broblem with its movement ability. Compare to Linhof technica 2000, how is Misura's movements?
Is there any other 4x5 camera that you would like to recommend to me?

Walter Calahan
25-Dec-2008, 07:08
For street shooting, I love a Crown Graphic.

Peter De Smidt
26-Dec-2008, 04:26
I agree, why not try a Crown Graphic. For street snaps and family portraits one would be ideal, and if you decide 4x5 is not for you, you won't be out a ton of cash.

Frank Petronio
26-Dec-2008, 07:36
I use a Crown too but a handheld Technicka IV or later -- if you can handle the extra pounds -- is the best all-around do-everything camera ever. But a Crown is a nice inexpensive way to see if it is for you. Actually you could purchase a Crown for handheld and travel, and still buy a nice studio monorail for other things, for the price of a good Technika.

But if you like Leica's and Rolleis and Blads, a Linhof Technika just keeps you in that same high-quality Prussian frame of mind. In fact a Linhof is probably higher quality....

One thing for street photography that you might like is to use the 6-shot Graflex Graphmatic film holders. More compact and faster....

The Arca Misura should be called a Misery. It's the dumbest camera idea ever made, suitable for wealthy dentists. It does everything the Crown Graphic does and not a whole hell of a lot more, for 20x the price of a Crown. You might as well buy a Royal Wedding Edition Platinum Leica, it would be a better investment. Really, it must have been a joke the company played to see how stupid people would be with their money.

(Other Arcas are fine cameras.)

Nathan Potter
26-Dec-2008, 08:11
I'll vote for the Linhof Technika for your particular use. As Frank says It'll keep you in the high quality arena if you can spare the bucks. You also won't lose much money on resale if you can find a used one.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Bob Salomon
26-Dec-2008, 08:41
"Prussian frame of mind"

Since Linhof is a Munich company they are more of the frei stadt Bayern frame of mind. Not Prussian.

horanginy
26-Dec-2008, 09:36
I am pretty new to LF camera. I had a 4x10 canham with 5x7 back for few weeks, and I just gave up on them last week. I decided to go with 4x5 camera, for I do not really want large prints.

It's a real shame you gave up on that system. What you had was great for both scenics and portraits, and you could have created some wonderful contact prints with the 5x7 format, which in my opinion is more pleasing than 4x5 for portraits. And Canham makes some of the best cameras on the market!

If you gave up due to size or weight, you should reality check a bit and make sure that the Rolleiflex alone isn't what you're looking for. If you're not making large prints or contact printing, I don't particularly see the need to move into 4x5 from medium format for portrait work.

That said -- and devil's advocate aside -- I echo the Crown Graphic suggestion for reasons already stated. To add to the mix: judging from your existing gear you seem to like quiet, unobtrusive, and quick equipment. Perhaps a non-folding model like the Ebony 45S might be good for you.

Kerry L. Thalmann
26-Dec-2008, 09:57
someone like me who is usually shooting street snaps and portraits.

If you're usually shooting street snaps and portraits, you may not need movements at all. In these situations, the ability to work fast is usually more important than elaborate camera movements. You may want to consider the Fotoman 45PS (http://www.fotomancamera.com/product_list.asp?id=335).

The Fotoman is well made, affordable, works with a wide range of lenses, is fast and easy to use and can be used handheld. Since you are used to working with rangefinder/viewfinder cameras, the Fotoman would be a natural extension of your current gear and working style.

If you do find you need movements in certain situations, you could always add an inexpensive field camera. A Fotoman 45PS, plus multiple lens cones and an inexpensive 4x5 field camera together would cost a lot less than some of the other options you are considering.

Kerry

Gem Singer
26-Dec-2008, 10:05
I'm a "retired dentist". During the last thirty years, I have owned, sold, or traded more than a dozen LF cameras. When I finally found the one that best suited my style of photographing, I went no further. The Canham Traditional was the winner.

The list of cameras that I tried did not include an Arca Swiss Misura. I knew better than to waste my money. It is probably more accurate to compare the design of the Misura to the Ford Edsel. I know many photogs. None of them own a Misura.

However, I did have an Ebony 45SVTE for a short time, but without the 110XL. That Ebony worked just fine with my less expensive Fuji lenses. Great camera for those who can afford one. Retired dentists, or others.

If I were starting out in LF, i would purchase a previously owned light weight folding flatbed field camera and a 135-210mm lens, at a price i could afford. That way I would be able to sell or trade the camera without loosing money, if I eventually found that I could not relate to LF photography.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Ash
26-Dec-2008, 14:25
Go for a Razzle 5x4

neil poulsen
27-Dec-2008, 00:21
As a reasonably priced camera, you might consider the Shen Hao. A lot of people have and like them. It has interchangeable bellows and can handle lenses up to about 300mm.

jnantz
27-Dec-2008, 07:14
... a crown and a beater.
you always need a parts car on blocks to harvest parts from.

Carsten Wolff
28-Dec-2008, 01:13
Go for a Razzle 5x4

...what Ash said....but get the 4x5 version - easier to hold..... ;)