PDA

View Full Version : Long Lens on Crown Graphic

dazedgonebye
22-Dec-2008, 21:33
Ok, I've about settled on 90mm on the wide end. It goes against my impulse, but I'm bowing to lots of advice to start wide no wider than 90.
Next question.

How long can I go and get infinity focus from a crown graphic?

I'm not adverse to a tele lens here, as long as there isn't some real good reason to avoid one.

David Karp
22-Dec-2008, 21:36
You can use a 300mm non-telephoto. Small ones, such as the Nikkor 300 M or Fuji 300 C, would be nice.

Jim Graves
22-Dec-2008, 22:26
I've used a 500mm telephoto ... but it was way front heavy ... and it vignetted. Would have to search in the archives to find the make, etc.

Have also used both the Wollensak 15 inch and Graflex Tele-Optar 38 cm ... the same lens I think ... both f-5.6. ... that's about as long as I'd want to go. Not much in the way of movements because of the limited coverage of telephotos but plenty sharp and useful for specific shots.

Got good results with both ... just didn't have that much call for them.

If I was looking for a general purpose longer lens for 4x5 ... I'd consider the Fuji 240mm, f-9 ... very light weight and very sharp.

With my backpacking kit, if I'm going with just two lenses, I take my 90 mm Angulon and my 203 Kodak Ektar ... If I'm using mules to pack in, I'll take 3 lenses ... my 90 mm Angulon, Fuji 150 mm (f-6.3), and the Fuji 240 mm (f-9) ... that's a really nice range and easy to carry.

Bill_1856
22-Dec-2008, 22:44
The 10" Tele-Optar is a wonderful lens choice for the Crown Graphic.

Kirk Fry
22-Dec-2008, 23:20
Framing while hand holding is a bit of problem with longer lenses. If you use a 240mm or 300mm non-telephoto design you can use the wire hoop gizmo. As you focus it moves further out and frames the appropriate area. I use a 240mm G-Claron on my crown.
I am not sure how one would frame a telephoto other than on the ground glass (yikes).
K

JOSEPH ANDERSON
23-Dec-2008, 00:05
A 90mm Is A Very Good Lens For 4x5. I Use Mine Much More Than Than All My
Other Lenses. As For The 300 I'd Say David Is Right Their Small And Would Be Just Under The Crowns Max Bellows Draw Which Is About 13.25" That's
What Mine Is. If You Want To Go Longer You'll Need A Telephoto. If You Want
A Medium Range On The Long Side You Can't Beat The 203 7.7 Ektar. They Are
Remarkable Little Lenses.
Good Luck, Joe A

Jim Graves
23-Dec-2008, 01:02
Bill ... I'm curious about the 10" Tele-Optar ... the one I have is on a 2x3 lensboard ... I've never tried it on the 4x5 ... does it cover?

Dan Fromm
23-Dec-2008, 03:58
Jim, per Graphic Graflex Photography, 10th edition, the 10"/5.6 Tele-Optar covers 4x5 and the 15"/5.6 Tele-Optar is the longest standard issue lens for 4x5 Graphics.

Bill_1856
23-Dec-2008, 05:42
Bill ... I'm curious about the 10" Tele-Optar ... the one I have is on a 2x3 lensboard ... I've never tried it on the 4x5 ... does it cover?

Actually, it covers 5x7 (as does the 15" Tele-Optar). The positioning of the infinity stops is just beyond those for a normal 135mm lens, and balances just as well.

dazedgonebye
23-Dec-2008, 07:17
It will focus to infinity with a 300mm?
Someone somewhere told me it would only focus to a couple of meters with a lens that long.
I've seen several reasonable 300mm lenses, so this would be good news.

venchka
23-Dec-2008, 07:48
It will focus to infinity with a 300mm?
Someone somewhere told me it would only focus to a couple of meters with a lens that long.
I've seen several reasonable 300mm lenses, so this would be good news.

Perhaps both statements are correct. Infinity focus places the lens closest to the film plane. 300mm focal length would definitely work. "it would only focus to a couple of meters with a lens that long" means that the same lens on the same focusing rails would extend far enough away from the film plane to focus on subjects within 6'-7' (or a couple meters). I would think that wit ha focal length in the 250mm-300mm range, that close focusing down to around 6' would be fine.

I wish folks would stop praising the Kodak 203mm Ektar lens! After not finding one for awhile, I opted for another lens. Naturally, within days, 203mm Ektars came out of the woodwork.

Good luck!

dazedgonebye
23-Dec-2008, 08:04
Perhaps both statements are correct. Infinity focus places the lens closest to the film plane. 300mm focal length would definitely work. "it would only focus to a couple of meters with a lens that long" means that the same lens on the same focusing rails would extend far enough away from the film plane to focus on subjects within 6'-7' (or a couple meters). I would think that wit ha focal length in the 250mm-300mm range, that close focusing down to around 6' would be fine.

I wish folks would stop praising the Kodak 203mm Ektar lens! After not finding one for awhile, I opted for another lens. Naturally, within days, 203mm Ektars came out of the woodwork.

Good luck!

Of course, that makes sense.
To focus closer, I'd need a longer bellows.

So, If I want to focus closer, perhaps a shorter lens would be in order. I'm not sure 6 or 7 feet will be close enough if I want to do a portrait shot.

venchka
23-Dec-2008, 08:13
Of course, that makes sense.
To focus closer, I'd need a longer bellows.

So, If I want to focus closer, perhaps a shorter lens would be in order. I'm not sure 6 or 7 feet will be close enough if I want to do a portrait shot.

True telephoto lenses need less bellows extension to focus at infinity and closer. Example: a 10" telelphoto focusing in the same distance as a 6" normal lens. That's probably why folks mentioned the Tele-Optars. I know there are other telephoto lenses around.

dazedgonebye
23-Dec-2008, 08:14
True telephoto lenses need less bellows extension to focus at infinity and closer. That's probably why folks mentioned the Tele-Optars. I know there are other telephoto lenses around.

Very few teles seem to come up on ebay. I need to do some more looking.
On the good side, I'll be buying a wide lens first, so that gives me time to find a long lens.

venchka
23-Dec-2008, 08:17
OK, so you want two lenses. Buy the first that meets your needs & budget, either long or short. I wouldn't pass up a telephoto lens while waiting for a wide lens.

Speaking of wide lenses, check www.keh.com. Far more reliable than some ebay transactions. I saw a sub-$100 90mm lens there recently.

Kevin Crisp
23-Dec-2008, 08:20
I carry my camera in a 35mm bag with a 135 Symmar-S on the camera. I keep a 90 Angulon and a 210 Repro-Claron in the side pockets. The 15" Graphlex (Wolly) Tele is really a fine optic, it covers 5X7 with some room for movement and is sharp edge to edge. It is heavy, but balances well on the camera because of the telephoto design and limited bellows draw. It is bright at 5.6 and easy to focus. And they don't cost much. All in all, it has much going for it. I have not tried the 10" but they are also readily available.

venchka
23-Dec-2008, 08:23
Check the For Sale area right here. There is a 150/256 Convertible Symmar. Not exactly the same thing as a telephoto. The price is right and you get two lenses for one. Then when the perfect tele comes along, jump on it.

aduncanson
23-Dec-2008, 08:42
I concur that the 203 Ektar is a good choice to complement your 90. Among tele designs is the fairly common Schneider Tele-Xenar. I have a 360 Tele-Xenar that works well with a Speed or Crown Graphic. They were made in 270 & 300mm lengths for 4x5 as well.

I am wary of some of the recommendations above for 240mm (Fujinon A, G- Claron) and 300mm (Fujinon C and Nikon M) lenses not because they are not superior performers but because they are useful for 8x10 which means they command much higher prices.

Joseph O'Neil
23-Dec-2008, 08:48
This topic seems to come up every three months as regular as clockwork. Maybe it should be part of a permenant FAQ somewhere. :) so, at the risk of repeating myself...

15 inch (aka 375mm ish) Wollensak Tele-Raptor. Bit, heavy, sharp, but nowadays somewhat hard to find. I bought mine years ago for $95 (and that included the shutter being CLA'd!!) because at one time anything with the Wollensak name on it just didn't sell at the dealers. Not quite the same thing today. :)

Fits *perfectly* on my Crown Graphic without a single issue - well other than it's a heavy lens to begin with. Never tried it to see how close it focuses, but then I bought it for tele-photo work, not close up work. If you want close focus - buy a macro. :)

Ranting mode on soapbox mode = ON

Why do people look for telephoto lenses with close focus? To me, that's like buying a jar of jalapeno peppers and complaining they're hot. Get with the program people! :)

Soapbox mode = OFF

Frank Petronio
23-Dec-2008, 09:42
The telephotos make nice portrait lenses so knowing how close you can get is good to know...