PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Norma 360mm Symmar

Daniel Unkefer
22-Dec-2008, 16:21
For those of you interested in the 8x10 Sinar Norma, and using the Sinar Norma Shutter, look what I just found for mine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350140592706&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=&salenotsupported

So now I have the 100mm, 135mm, 150mm, 180mm, 210mm, 240mm, 300mm, -and- the 360 Convertible Symmars in Norma mount. I think that's the complete set :p

Paul Ewins
22-Dec-2008, 16:52
Now you just need the triple convertible Symmars and the original DA Symmars :-)
I'm just short the 135mm myself, although the 100 isn't in a shutter. With prices so low now it is hard to avoid the collecting urge.

Daniel Unkefer
22-Dec-2008, 16:58
Actually I like the lenses originally offered for the Norma. The convertible Symmars, Apo Ronars, Angulons, Super Angulons, Imagons, and two Kern Process lenses. After thirty years of use, have most of them :)

Daniel Unkefer
22-Dec-2008, 20:33
Now you just need the triple convertible Symmars and the original DA Symmars :-)
With prices so low now it is hard to avoid the collecting urge.

I agree, prices have never been lower on some of these items. I just bought a 300mm Apo Ronar for around $60, so I'm buying Norma stuff again, when I haven't in about ten years. My Norma lenses don't need shutters (I have the Sinar Norma Automatic shutter) but they do have (for the most part) Sinar rabbit ears, which automates the camera a bit. Very fast to set from behind the camera, without having to go up front. Also most have additional automation on them, so that inserting a plate closes the shutter and prepares it to shoot, so it's nearly as fast as a reflex camera, once you're used to it.

I also have Apo Ronars, Angulons, Imagons, Super Angulons, and a few Kern process lenses. I've tried to keep with the lenses Sinar offered in the original catalog, for the most part. A large majority of these have the full Sinar Norma automation, which I have found to be very collectable, as well as completely usuable and well worth having.

Daniel Unkefer
31-Dec-2008, 14:35
Here's my new lens, mounted on one of my Normas, setup for 5x7 (which is new to me, just getting started with it). I've always used 8x10 and 4x5, along with roll film in the Norma Rapid Adapter:

Gene McCluney
31-Dec-2008, 14:49
What does that funny cable-release type thing on the lens do?

Daniel Unkefer
31-Dec-2008, 14:58
That cable is what are known as Sinar Norma "Rabbit Ears". A color-coded aperture cable (you can set it behnd the camera) which allows you to preset a working aperture. When you insert a plate after focusing and setting up the camera, it cocks the shutter automatically, and stops the lens down to the preselected aperture. Very speedy and sure to use.

Bjorn Nilsson
31-Dec-2008, 17:47
That little gadget is also called "Mickey Mouse". Now, I'm with you as far as setting the aperture from behind the camera which is handy, but the depicted camera is not set up for the rest, which rather sounds like a description of how a post-Norma Sinar shutter with DB lenses works. (In which case it doesn't have a Mickey Mouse control.) That also needs a cable from the back to the shutter.
Enough nitpicking. The Norma is a lovely camera, even though I personally like the more modern Sinars even more.
By the way, a nice price for the lens.

So, a happy new year to all of you!

//Björn

Daniel Unkefer
31-Dec-2008, 19:26
Bjorn,
Sinar used to call them "Auto-Aperture Cables". They offered them in several versions, all set up at the factory, available on special order. The spring-loaded aperture boards (which interact with the Norma Shutter and are quite speedy) were the deluxe version, but they also offered a less costly version, with just the cable and rabbit ears. And of course lens mounted plainly on the boards. I have many examples of each in my studio. My new 360mm Symmar is on the spring-loaded variety of aperture board, so I am quite happy about that. Not that many could have been made (although they were popular for thirty+ years).

My Normas also have long spiral steel cables attached, which run from the bottom of the Norma shutter and fit into the film cassette, it just isn't plugged in, in this photo. Also has a quick-release bayonet adapter, which goes into the cassette. So it is anything but -Mickey Mouse- IMO :)

I have had more modern Sinars, and like them, but I prefer the Norma for my uses.

Thanks and Happy New Year to You, as well!

Frank Petronio
31-Dec-2008, 21:47
They even made a 4x5 sliding back arrangement that allowed you to quickly slide between the ground glass and the graflock film holder with a loaded film holder. Along with the auto cables, everything else -- stopping down and closing the shutter -- would happen automatically when you slid the holder over, pulled the holder's darkslide, and shot. Very fast.

It needs a very solid tripod or stand mount and a rigid camera like a Norma or a P, not the F-series.

Daniel Unkefer
1-Jan-2009, 05:24
Yes, I also have the Norma Sliding Roll Back with all the cables, and it really is -that fast-. Has a sliding shutter built into it, too. It basically takes original Graflex Wind-Knob Filmbacks (the wind-knob kind) but slight modification is required, so that the filmback can be "flipped" in the outer shell, and clear the moving parts on the Sliding Roll Adapter. Some careful filing is required to make it work. It's all pretty cool, actually, I have about a dozen of those modified Sinar Graflex Holders in 6x6, 6x7 and 6x9. Works nearly as as fast as a reflex camera!

I have a Plaubel camera stand, and many big tripods in my studio.