PDA

View Full Version : How do you transport your LF?

magicman
22-Dec-2008, 14:25
Hello,

I´m new to this forum, and I like to say hello at first.
HELLO :)

My first and biggest question is, how do you transport your 4x5 (and larger) system, to use it in nature, on travel or on any other location?

Do you use a backpack or a case, or may be something different?

Some photos of your stuff in the case/backpack or what ever, would be very interessting for me, to let me find a solution too. <- I´m using a Sinar F2.

Many thanks in advance.

Bes regards
Mario

pablo batt
22-Dec-2008, 14:38
i use a bag with a zipped front.

kev curry
22-Dec-2008, 14:53
Mario,
The link below should give you plenty to ponder:)

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=31080&highlight=show+back+pack

Clive Gray
22-Dec-2008, 15:00
Sinar Expert cases can sometimes be had for bargin prices and are useful in some circumstances.

I drag the P about by it's strap were a garden say has decent paths.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/ABBANDON/Pinexpertcase.jpg

I have a larger expert case for the 10X8 that is mainly for transport/ out of the back of the van

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/ABBANDON/10x8Cinexpertcase.jpg

For more practical wondering about I dragg the F around in a Supertrekker

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/ABBANDON/Finsupertrekkor.jpg

The secret to carrying the F about is finding the manual that tells you how to fold it up over the rail.

Walter Calahan
22-Dec-2008, 15:05
All my gear rides in various cases and a backpack on a 3-wheel jogging baby stroller.

Eric Woodbury
22-Dec-2008, 16:30
For 4x5 and 5x7, I put the lenses and film holders (6) in a small backpack and the camera rides on the tripod on my shoulder. In the car, the camera is in a zip-front padded case. Film holders ride in ammo boxes.

ljsegil
22-Dec-2008, 16:47
Photobackpacker.com for all format sizes, Bruce will customize a kit to suit whatever your needs may be. Great gear, great service.
LJS

Scott Knowles
22-Dec-2008, 17:28
Fairly simple. It holds two lenses in cases (120mm and 150mm or 210mm) and six film holders. The smaller bag holds another 6-8 film holders. The light meter is a Sekonic L-358 with 1-degree spot attachment.

http://www.wsrphoto.com/web-images/img_0303nw.jpg

Vaughn
22-Dec-2008, 17:32
Here is how...

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?p=298992#post298992

You'll see a bunch of others there, too...6 pages worth.

Vaughn

PS...here is t he link to the whole tread about camera bags for LF

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=31080

Brian Vuillemenot
22-Dec-2008, 20:42
F64 large backpack- holds either an 8X10, one digital SLR, lenses, and accessories or 2 4X5s, one 6X17, one digital SLR, lenses, and accessories. Pretty much any camera and lens that I could possibly want depending on what situations arise.

Frank Petronio
22-Dec-2008, 20:52
Lately I have just wrapped the old Crown Graphic in a lenswrap and tossed ten 4x5 holders into a larger Zip-Loc and tossed them into a generic unpadded North Face (but it could be any brand) daypack. The Luna-Pro and loupe ride on top, along with whatever other unrelated to 4x5 stuff I want to bring... I literally do not need anything else, except maybe a pen, b-cards, and model releases.

Get a sturdy camera and you can pack it in anything.

Freedom ;-)

Drew Bedo
24-Dec-2008, 16:12
I have a hard-shell Pelican case for my 4x5 kit. It has suit-case style wheels and looks great in an up-town sort of way. Stores in most airline over-heads and can be checked (I never do this).

Mostly, the gear gets packed into a largish , old, 35mm soft case. It slings over my shoulder or sits on my lap.

At times I push around my 8x10 outfit in a large wheeled jogging stroller. It will go anywhere that a wheel chair will go. At other times< I have adapted a golf-bag cart to haul around a large LowePro pack bag. Mobility is about the same as the stroler, but folds up smaller.

Brian Ellis
24-Dec-2008, 20:43
f64 backpack. I use the largest size, which is designed for 8x10, for both 4x5 and 8x10 (when I have an 8x10 system).

tim o'brien
26-Dec-2008, 21:44
Depends on the camera. The 4x5 Speed just gets thrown in a day pack with zip locked film holders, and all other stuff thrown in on top or in the front pocket. The 8x10 Deardorff fits in a Tamrac Cyber6 pack (just) with all the dividers taken out. The pack has a front section for meters and spare lensboard, has a back section made for a laptop but will hold a couple of film holders. Of course, when working out of the truck, I just use my hard sided Deardorff case (it weights 15lbs (7kg) all by itself).

tim in san jose

walter23
26-Dec-2008, 22:40
I use a big photo backpack that cost me almost $300 local currency. I really regretted buying it for my SLR system after having it for only a week or two, because it was too big. But it ended up being perfect when I got started in 4x5.

It's a lowepro phototrekker AW II.

It might work for a big monorail like your Sinar. I'm using a Shen Hao field camera.

Hello,

I&#180;m new to this forum, and I like to say hello at first.

My first and biggest question is, how do you transport your 4x5 (and larger) system, to use it in nature, on travel or on any other location?

Some photos of your stuff in the case/backpack or what ever, would be very interessting for me, to let me find a solution too. <- I&#180;m using a Sinar F2.

Many thanks in advance.

Bes regards
Mario

jnantz
27-Dec-2008, 06:56
speed graphic goes in its fiber box
4x5 rail camera or 5x7 in a tenba 45 car case
lenses are lens wrapped and in a padded case that came with the tenba.

Rafael Garcia
27-Dec-2008, 07:45
My Chamonix travels in a LowePro backpack. My AK1, with it's bigger lenses, in a gym bag-sized photo bag, my Korona Woodies in an actual suitcase, hard sided, and my Wista SP travels naked, closed in its metal shell with the 135mm Nikkor W reversed mounted inside, and the film in a separate small bag.

Aender Brepsom
27-Dec-2008, 08:24
My Ebony 4x5 field camera+3 lenses+QL holder+20 sheets+6x9 RFH+light meter+filters etc all fit in a Lowepro Vertex 300AW. If I want to add the Canon 1Ds3 with a 16-35mm lens, I take the Tamrac Expedition 8.

shmoo
27-Dec-2008, 11:09
When I'm just going around town or am going to be close to my car, I use a Lowepro Commercial AW bag. It fits the Sinar F2 folded and wrapped in a darkcloth, with the rail holder, a 6" extension rail, meter, loupe, filters and bag bellows...but that's about it (and the AW is a pretty large bag). I carry 3 lenses, 2 Grafmatic holders and 4 Fidelity holders in another small bag. I have a tripod shoulder strap that I use when I carry the tripod. Everything can get piled onto a folding luggage carrier.

If I'm hiking, I use an REI backpack with an internal frame and abbreviate the amount of stuff I have. The F2 is just toooooo heavy to carry very far.

SamReeves
28-Dec-2008, 00:31
I just use a Swiss Gear internal frame backback. Nothing super exotic or super expensive. The F64's and most photo backpacks are a ripoff.

Bruce M. Herman
28-Dec-2008, 04:07
I use a Lowepro Super Trekker AW. I've had it for some time, and the new ones may have a better suspension, but mine doesn't carry as well as my Dana Design pack. The problem with top loading packs is that it takes more time to get your gear out. Seconds count when the light is changing. If you're moving around between compositions, the photo backpacks save even more time.

When I used my Dana pack, I bought a couple of plastic containers; one for the camera and some accessories and the other for the lenses. I lined them with open cell foam. That kept things relatively organized and meant that I only had to remove two items from my pack when setting up. The advantages to using a conventional backpack are 1) cost because you may already have a pack, 2) you likely will have more space for a parka and other personal gear, and 3) better suspension.

Photo backpacks are much more expensive than high end backpacks. Justification of the cost differential is a personal thing.

EuGene Smith
28-Dec-2008, 18:20
Good cameras, lenses, etc. are carried in various backpacks and camera bags. B&J Commercial Views are wrapped in an old quilt and a dark cloth and tossed in the back of my pick'um up truck . . . can't hurt 'em so I don't worry about it.

sultanofcognac
29-Dec-2008, 23:32
I use an Eckla Multi-Rolly for when I want to take "everything" (it has a built-in seat on the side opposite the gear) http://www.eckla.de/multirolly.html
… and the oversized wheels follow me through any terrain. ;)
For 'deeper insertion missions' I use my old Domke Outback Photo Backpack :eek: (impossible to find these days).

magicman
1-Jan-2009, 19:06
I think the Lowepro supper trekker would be a good choice.
Does anyone of you use this backpack with a sinar f2 or something equal?

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards
Mario

John Kasaian
1-Jan-2009, 19:26
Hello,

I´m new to this forum, and I like to say hello at first.

Some photos of your stuff in the case/backpack or what ever, would be very interessting for me, to let me find a solution too. <- I´m using a Sinar F2.

Many thanks in advance.

Bes regards
Mario

I've tried lots of stuff----cheap stuff because...well..I'm cheap :)
The current line-up:
The 5x7 Speeder and film holders ride in a Jansport Equinox day pack--there are straps for a tilt-all tripod to ride along.
The 8x10 'dorff rides in a army surplus cooler designed to accomodate a 5 gallon water jug---pleny of room for the 'dorff, holders, dark cloth and other stuff. I've also got a Kelty Redwing
($50 from REI on clearance) for the trail.
Graphic View II has it's own vulcanoid case.
12x20 Folmer & Schwing has it's own fiber-oid case too, It dosent travel very far from home.
An Igloo Playmate cooler works well for smaller cameras. It dosen't look like a camera bag.