PDA

View Full Version : If you dropped a warm holder in the snow...

Frank Petronio
20-Dec-2008, 13:31
and it was coated in sticky snow, what would you do to salvage the film?

(Not saying whether that actually happened this morning... ;-)

David A. Goldfarb
20-Dec-2008, 13:39
I'd pull the darkslide all the way out and bow the film out of the rails when removing the film, in case it's wet, and then I'd leave the slide out for a few days berfore reloading in case the felt light trap got wet.

Glenn Thoreson
20-Dec-2008, 13:40
I'd dab the snow and water of with a Kleenex or some similar super absorbent stuff. Then I'd let it lay flat in a warm place until it's dry. Or maybe I'd just let the dog lick it. :D

Mark Woods
20-Dec-2008, 13:56
This occasionally happens on film shoots, a camera falls into the water during a stunt, or otherwise. If the water is salt water, immediately put the camera and film mag into fresh water. Take the camera to a repair shop where they'll dry it out in the perscribed manner. The film should go into the darkroom still wet. In the dark, begin development as if nothing happened. Dry the holder with a towel. Let it air dry. Clean it of any lint and reload for the next adventure.

MW

hmf
20-Dec-2008, 14:00
This occasionally happens on film shoots, a camera falls into the water during a stunt, or otherwise. If the water is salt water, immediately put the camera and film mag into fresh water. Take the camera to a repair shop where they'll dry it out in the perscribed manner. The film should go into the darkroom still wet. In the dark, begin development as if nothing happened. Dry the holder with a towel. Let it air dry. Clean it of any lint and reload for the next adventure.

MW

I guess you could dispense with the two minute pre-soak, though.

Frank Petronio
20-Dec-2008, 14:00
Seeing as I don't have a darkroom, I knocked the snow off and used a paper towel outdoors to get as much of the moisture off as possible, then brought it inside within a plastic bag so it could warm up, placing it vertically, flap side down so that any moisture would collect at the bottom, off the image area... now I will let it set in the open, indoors for a couple of days so everything evaporates in our dry winter interior climate.

How does that sound?

Glenn Thoreson
20-Dec-2008, 14:15
Sounds as good as letting the dog lick it. :D I'm sure your film will be fine.

jordanstarr
23-Dec-2008, 00:04
is it worth your time trying to salvage? Personally I'd just shoot it as an experiment and move on to the next holder. Unless of course it's 8x10 or larger. then I'd change my tune.

Mark Woods
23-Dec-2008, 10:27
Hey Frank,

I hope the emulsion wasn't wet, and if it was it doesn't touch any part of the film holder. My worry about your method is that the previously wet emulsion will stick to the film holder. Mark on. I'm enjoying your blog and images.

MW

Michael Graves
23-Dec-2008, 11:21
Or maybe I'd just let the dog lick it. :D

Glenn, it's a FILM HOLDER for crying out loud. Not the dinner dishes.

RichardRitter
24-Dec-2008, 07:48
Take as mush snow off as one can and put the holder in a plastic bag and let it freeze. As long as it dose not mealt it will not effect the film. When you get back home put a drying agent ie dry rice or one of those packets that come with a camera or lens warp everthing up and let it warm up slowly. As the remaining snow melts it will be assorbed . I have dropped many of holder into the snow and have had no problems.