PDA

View Full Version : Loading The Jobo

dazedgonebye
19-Dec-2008, 08:38
Ok, thanks to a kind member here, I have film with which to practice my developer loading. So far, not so great.
I've got a jobo 4x5 reel and that dang thing is hard to load blind! Perhaps the worst part is getting the little black plastic retainer things on after the film is in...and getting the film in is no picnic.

I need lots more practice, unless there is some miracle method I'm missing????

BTW, my kids think I'm nuts...sitting on the sofa, playing with bits and pieces with my eyes closed...cussing under my breath.

eric black
19-Dec-2008, 08:52
time is money- save yourself some and get a 3010 expert drum (if your processor can handle it) You wont even need to practice with one of them to learn loading. As for the current system you have, there isnt any magic I can remember other than practice makes perfect and if you are in a rush it just isnt going to happen!

dazedgonebye
19-Dec-2008, 08:55
time is money- save yourself some and get a 3010 expert drum (if your processor can handle it) You wont even need to practice with one of them to learn loading. As for the current system you have, there isnt any magic I can remember other than practice makes perfect and if you are in a rush it just isnt going to happen!

Oh sure...tell me the truth....
That's what I thought. Well, an expert system will have to wait till after I have a lens or two.
I'll just keep practicing.

Bobf
19-Dec-2008, 09:21
The clips have a notch which mates with a corresponding "pin" on the reel. This is in the middle of the clip and in the middle of the gap between the ends of the negatives when the reel is loaded. You can feel the pin in the dark and so locate where to snap on the clips. Load a reel up in the light and you will see what I mean - as with many things, it's easier to do than describe...

I also place my thumb and middle finger on the slots where the negatives slide in - that way I can feel the film as I slide it in to make sure it is going in the correct slot. Wash hands before loading film to ensure no grease on the negs.

I notched the edge on one side of the reel as I then know which side I loaded first to help keep track of the negatives.

dazedgonebye
19-Dec-2008, 09:31
The clips have a notch which mates with a corresponding "pin" on the reel. This is in the middle of the clip and in the middle of the gap between the ends of the negatives when the reel is loaded. You can feel the pin in the dark and so locate where to snap on the clips. Load a reel up in the light and you will see what I mean - as with many things, it's easier to do than describe...

I also place my thumb and middle finger on the slots where the negatives slide in - that way I can feel the film as I slide it in to make sure it is going in the correct slot. Wash hands before loading film to ensure no grease on the negs.

I notched the edge on one side of the reel as I then know which side I loaded first to help keep track of the negatives.

That's pretty much what I'm doing. I'm just finding lots of opportunities for things to not go in quite right. I'll keep plugging.

venchka
19-Dec-2008, 09:34
Or you could watch here and ebay for a decent price on the Jobo reel loader thingie. I have one. It seems to help. I also have a 3010 tank so I don't load my one 2509 reel very often.

YMMV.

dazedgonebye
19-Dec-2008, 09:46
Or you could watch here and ebay for a decent price on the Jobo reel loader thingie. I have one. It seems to help. I also have a 3010 tank so I don't load my one 2509 reel very often.

YMMV.

I will look out for one of those guides. They often come with a reel and I could use a second reel.

Bobf
19-Dec-2008, 09:50
Ya - I still manage to start to load a neg in the same slot as the previous one from time to time (once in every two reels perhaps) but you get to feel that something is wrong and back out and try again. I feel along the ends of the loaded negatives to feel that the gap between them is even and that they are all the way in the slot. The clips are easy once you get to feel that pin tho - they never give me grief now.

aduncanson
19-Dec-2008, 10:14
Oh sure...tell me the truth....
That's what I thought. Well, an expert system will have to wait till after I have a lens or two.
I'll just keep practicing.

Well, if unhelpful advise is welcome, search for a thread on the use of Nightvision systems in the darkroom and read how many of our colleagues have installed infrared illuminators. :D

Not me, I invested (a little less) in a Jobo Expert drum.

Paul Kierstead
19-Dec-2008, 11:35
Actually the clips are really easy once you get the "hang" of it. It takes some practice. Keep at it.

Loading is a little finicky. Take it slow (there is no timer) and be thorough. Load the inner ones first, and move out. After you load each, feel across the end of the sheet to make sure they are separated all they way across. Do this at both ends. With some practice you will be reasonably efficient. Develop habits like always setting the reel down in the same place and the same way; repeatability is key when you can't see.

venchka
19-Dec-2008, 11:37
Start slow. 4 sheets. Leave the middle slot empty.

jon.oman
19-Dec-2008, 15:13
Start slow. 4 sheets. Leave the middle slot empty.

Why do you keep the MIDDLE slot empty?

Jon

venchka
19-Dec-2008, 15:54
Easier to know for sure that you didn't screw up and have two sheets touching each other.

Want to start an argument? ;)

There are folks on this forum who swear that the 2509 reel should never have more than 4 sheets loaded. There are an equal number of 6 Sheeters who will challenge the 4 Sheeters to a Development Throw Down. ;)

Personally, it's quitting time and I'm outta here! :cool:

Merry Christmas Y'all!

darr
19-Dec-2008, 18:11
There are folks on this forum who swear that the 2509 reel should never have more than 4 sheets loaded.

Loading the 2509 drove me crazy until I started loading 4 sheets only per reel and leaving the wing-thingies off. I use the ATL1000 and the lid had popped off the canister twice with the black wings on. I read somewhere that some people leave them off, so I tried it and I have never had problems since. I have even development and the lids do not pop off any longer. My 2 cents. :)

dazedgonebye
19-Dec-2008, 20:25
What do the wings do?
It kind of looks like they keep the film in place.

jon.oman
19-Dec-2008, 20:41
What do the wings do?
It kind of looks like they keep the film in place.

From what I have read, they are also supposed to even out the development.

Jon

tgtaylor
19-Dec-2008, 21:15
Actually the clips are really easy once you get the "hang" of it. It takes some practice. Keep at it.

Loading is a little finicky. Take it slow (there is no timer) and be thorough. Load the inner ones first, and move out. After you load each, feel across the end of the sheet to make sure they are separated all they way across. Do this at both ends. With some practice you will be reasonably efficient. Develop habits like always setting the reel down in the same place and the same way; repeatability is key when you can't see.

That's good advise and exactly what I do. To add to Paul's advise:

1. Note the two tits that are positioned on the 2d guide rail (from the outside in). When you load the first sheet (from the inside out),feel the space between the sheet and the tits. If there is space between the tit on one side and its flush with the tit on the other side or not apparent, then you loaded the side that is flush or not apparent incorrectly. In other words you have loaded that side into the slot belonging to the 2d or 3d sheet rsp.

2. After you have loaded the 2d sheet, you should feel both tits flush with the back of the sheet. If you only feel one tit, then you have loaded the other side of the sheet in the incorrect slot.

3. After you have loaded each sheet, slightly pull it forward till it hits a stop point to verify that it's locked in place before proceeding with the next sheet.

4. As Paul noted above, the spacing between the sheets should be even. Simply run your thumb across the ends to verify this.

The 3010 Expert Drum is excellent and very easy to load. The only draw back to it tht I can see is the constant agitation required to develop the B&W negative. For C-41 and E-6 negative processing, it's probably the best home system around.

Thomas