PDA

View Full Version : Feisol Model #3371

Chris623
18-Dec-2008, 21:12
Would anyone familiar with the Feisol Model #3371 carbon tripod venture a guess as to it's ability to adequately handle a Deardorff 4x5 Special? I'm really having a rough time deciding what to do about a tripod. I need one for my D200, but I just sold my Gitzo Pro Studec and I'd like one tripod for both cameras. Don't mind having a tripod that's overkill for the DSLR, as long as it's adequate for the 4x5. I'm looking at a pretty good deal on a Zone VI, or maybe a Reis. Just don't know what to do. Any comments or suggestions would really be appreciated.

Greg Lockrey
18-Dec-2008, 21:29
I have the 3471 which is very similar and it's more than enough.

jeroldharter
18-Dec-2008, 21:34
Check out this thread from APUG:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum280/54334-feisol.html

I bought the 3342 which as far as I can tell is less robust than the tripod you are considering. I do find the model numbers and product lines of Feisol confusing and not clearly differentiated. I am using it for an Arca F-line and Canham 4x5 DLC. Also, mine weighs half of the tripod you are considering.

I bought mine as a lightweight hiking tripod to substitute for my Berlebach that I use out of the car. I have not used it much yet apart from "practice." But so far it seems great with my Arca ball head.

I am pleased with the quality of the tripod and I like that the legs can fold up 180 degrees and "cover" the tripod head making the folded unit shorter and protecting the head.

R Mann
19-Dec-2008, 08:53
I use both a Ries and a Feisol -

I have a Feisol 3402 which I find more than enough support for my Canham wood 5x7 - I also had one of the larger tripods like the 3371 - but I sold it and bought the 3402. The 3371 is large - just as big as my Ries. The 3371 is a solid support, but I was looking for something a more compact which is why I decided on a standard model (3402 - which is also a lot cheaper).

My only complaint are the preset click stops on the legs. I like a wider set which means I need to release each leg past the first stop when setting it up - not a big deal but it does take a little more time. There is a second click stop with a much wider leg spread - I find I usually pick something in between when I can use the leg spikes to set them into the ground.

I think a Ries is the best tripod I have ever owned and prefer it over the Feisol if I am working near a car. But, if I have to carry a tripod for any distance, I will take the Feisol. If I had to own only one, I would go with the Feisol.

Chris623
19-Dec-2008, 12:44
I have the 3471 which is very similar and it's more than enough.

Thanks, that's good to know.

Check out this thread from APUG:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum280/54334-feisol.html

I bought the 3342 which as far as I can tell is less robust than the tripod you are considering. I do find the model numbers and product lines of Feisol confusing and not clearly differentiated. I am using it for an Arca F-line and Canham 4x5 DLC. Also, mine weighs half of the tripod you are considering.

I bought mine as a lightweight hiking tripod to substitute for my Berlebach that I use out of the car. I have not used it much yet apart from "practice." But so far it seems great with my Arca ball head.

I am pleased with the quality of the tripod and I like that the legs can fold up 180 degrees and "cover" the tripod head making the folded unit shorter and protecting the head.

Thanks for the link. I've been in touch with Kerry. (extremely helpful vendor!) He also suggested the 3442 to me..............but for and additional $10 I can get the 3371, and it has the 37mm legs instead of 28mm. I'd rather have the stronger and more stable platform..........especially with the miniscule price difference.

I use both a Ries and a Feisol -

I have a Feisol 3402 which I find more than enough support for my Canham wood 5x7 - I also had one of the larger tripods like the 3371 - but I sold it and bought the 3402. The 3371 is large - just as big as my Ries. The 3371 is a solid support, but I was looking for something a more compact which is why I decided on a standard model (3402 - which is also a lot cheaper).

My only complaint are the preset click stops on the legs. I like a wider set which means I need to release each leg past the first stop when setting it up - not a big deal but it does take a little more time. There is a second click stop with a much wider leg spread - I find I usually pick something in between when I can use the leg spikes to set them into the ground.

I think a Ries is the best tripod I have ever owned and prefer it over the Feisol if I am working near a car. But, if I have to carry a tripod for any distance, I will take the Feisol. If I had to own only one, I would go with the Feisol.

I really like the Ries................esthetically and structurally, but most everyone I communicate with who uses one has the same comment about liking it if they don't have to carry it far. I seldom get to shoot really close to the car, and I'm trying to find one tripod to handle all my needs. Guess I'll take your suggestion and go with Feisol.

Still not quite sure which model though...........:confused: :D

Thanks for the helpful posts.

jeroldharter
19-Dec-2008, 14:03
Thanks, that's good to know.

Thanks for the link. I've been in touch with Kerry. (extremely helpful vendor!) He also suggested the 3442 to me..............but for and additional $10 I can get the 3371, and it has the 37mm legs instead of 28mm. I'd rather have the stronger and more stable platform..........especially with the miniscule price difference.

I went through the same thought process. I already have a stout Berlebach. If I were trying to replace it, then I would have bought the larger Feisol. But I wanted something ultralight for hiking that I could lash to a pack without much consequence so I bought the lighter one. I did not go for the 4 piece legs though because I hate all the twisting and fussing. The Berlebach is great for that - one knob on each leg.

You did not mention a tripod head. Some heads weigh almost as much as my Feisol tripod.

If I want to go ultralight, I can use a Canham camera, Feisol tripod, Acratech ball head, one or two lenses, Readiloads, meter and I am not much over 10 pounds. Maybe 12 pounds max.

Chris623
19-Dec-2008, 14:18
I'm planning on a PhotoClam 40NS for right now. Don't know if that will be sturdy enough for my Deardorff, but I can address that problem when I get to it.