PDA

View Full Version : Zone VI ultralight 4x5 and 8x10

Theo Hartman
23-Jul-2001, 16:16
On the Calumetphoto site I found information about the "new?" ultralight models (4x5 and 8x10). Who has experience with these new cameras. How do they compare ( rigidity?) to the older ones or the Wisners.

Theo Hartman the Netherlands

Walt Anderson
23-Jul-2001, 16:44
Theo, I have used both the original Zone VI and the newer ultralight model and found no differance in the rigidity or anything else, except ease of carrying. I believe the only change was using anodized alum. in place of the plated brass metal parts. I've used the new version for about a year [350 aheets of film] with no problem. Walt

Robert T. Creutz
27-Jul-2001, 12:57
The only apparent difference is the aluminum hardware, which, as aluminum is wont to do, sticks and jams after a while. Fred Picker of the "old" Zone VI used to say that the only metal worse in this respect is pewter. I'll stick with the brass :-).

Bob Creutz, Weymouth, MA, USA

Ted Harris
27-Jul-2001, 16:42
Theo,

If you rae looking for lightness adn rigidity you may want to consider the Phillips. I have been using a Phillips 4x5 for about 18 months and find it to be one of the solidest LF cameras I have ever used in the field. In fact, I find myself using it more and more in the studio as well.

Also, take a look at the Toho. I have no direct experience with it but others rave.

Also take a look at the Toho,