PDA

View Full Version : almost free enlarger - should I take it?

h2oman
16-Dec-2008, 16:15
A local guy was showing me around his place, giving me assorted small items. Then he said "If you want an enlarger I'll sell you this one for $25."

Here's the info you have to work with: I haven't even developed film in my life, but I'm dangerously close to giving that try. I had assumed I would scan the negatives and print digitally, because every enlarger I've seen for sale on this forum is described as big, heavy, and for pick-up only, usually very far from where I live! But I wouldn't mind giving traditional printing a try.

So here's what I know about this enlarger: The stand does not look huge and burly. On the enlarger it says something like "Simmons Omega." It has a condenser head, the condenser lens or whatever it is was not in it and he couldn't see it right off in the clutter of stuff hanging around. It has a 150mm Schneider lens.

Everything I'm reading tells me I should want a cold light head. Do you think I could put one on this thing, or would that be more trouble than it is worth? Should I buy it just for the lens, if nothing else? But then where do I get an enlarger?

Thoughts?

Skorzen
16-Dec-2008, 16:24
It would help to know what model Omega it is, but I believe Omega's are just about the easiest to mount aristo cold heads on.

redrockcoulee
16-Dec-2008, 16:27
The lens should be worth more than that.

Eric Woodbury
16-Dec-2008, 16:38
You can put an Aristo coldlight in anything. You could probably find some old condensers, too.

The lens is worth $25+. If you have the slightest interest in printing, take it.

Ash
16-Dec-2008, 16:41
If you have space, take it.

He doesn't need to know if you chuck it or sell the scrap metal in a month's time ;)

Toyon
16-Dec-2008, 17:37
Take it. There are several good "using a darkroom" books that can get you started.

David A. Goldfarb
16-Dec-2008, 17:54
A Schneider 150mm enlarging lens--even of the lowest quality--is worth more than $25. I'd take it. Omega enlargers, parts, and accessories are plentiful and cheap. You could find a used cold light head or buy a new one with no problem. The Aristo head for Omega just replaces the condensors, so it's very easy to install. I have the Hi-D version, which puts out a lot of light. If you get that one and don't print big typically, you'll want a timer that can measure in tenths of a second.

Brian Ellis
16-Dec-2008, 17:58
If you go this route you'll also want a timer, trays, tongs, a print washer, a film washer, something with which to develop your film (trays can be used but most people prefer something else such as a Jobo drum, BTZS tubes, a film tank, etc.), a safelight, a paper safe, an easel, a grain focuser, and of course space. If you wanted to cut expenses to a bare minimum you could improvise and get away without some of these things, e.g. a watch with a second hand can be used instead of a timer, but most of the things I've listed are considered basic darkroom equipment. Fortunately used darkroom stuff is available for next to nothing these days.

MIke Sherck
16-Dec-2008, 18:09
You need to be careful around these crack dealers. Many years ago in a moment of weakness I too spent $25 at a garage sale for some guy's student enlarger. A cheap p introduction to the darkroom, I said. 35mm is cheap, I said. Cheap. Cheep, cheep.

Now look at me. Darkroom in the basement, and wife's wish-list of house modifications and repairs had to wait until the darkroom was finished. A pair of Beseler enlargers, 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 cameras, boxes of film, paper, chemicals -- where will it end? *sob*

:)

Mike

Skorzen
16-Dec-2008, 20:07
Heh, come to think of it, it was an old D-II that got me started with all this LF stuff. I picked it up from someone who wanted to clean out the basement intending to use it for 35mm and then well I figured I minus well look into those bigger cameras.... that combined with a copy of The Negative and the rest is history.

Colin Corneau
16-Dec-2008, 20:25
That's a terrific deal. Take it. Just do it.

h2oman
16-Dec-2008, 21:35
Brian,

The same guy already sent me home with trays, a few fluids, a timer, the back off of a Mamiya MF camera that he told me I can use to view my color transparencies and maybe some other things I'm forgetting about. He had three grain focusers laying around, etc. I'm pretty sure he'll at least lend me anything else he has that I might need. He's a retired pro who seems more interested in his digital camera, computer and woodshop than working in the darkroom! He's got two other enlargers he'd probably let me use on the spot as well.

Maybe if I'm headed up to Bend someday I'll give you a call to see if I can drop in and chat...

Everyone,

Thanks for the heads up about what I'm getting into! I'm 50, and I don't want to wake up 75 some day wondering whether I should have given all this a try.

Pat Kearns
16-Dec-2008, 22:06
Brian,

Everyone,

Thanks for the heads up about what I'm getting into! I'm 50, and I don't want to wake up 75 some day wondering whether I should have given all this a try.

When you see your first print magically appear on the blank sheet of paper in the developer, you're going to say, "WOW, why did I wait until I was 50 to give this a try".

redrockcoulee
17-Dec-2008, 14:55
When you see your first print magically appear on the blank sheet of paper in the developer, you're going to say, "WOW, why did I wait until I was 50 to give this a try".

And it takes another 50 years at least before that "WOW' feeling goes away. For the first print in a session at least.

BradS
17-Dec-2008, 16:02
I can never seem to pass up a good enlarger within picking up distance of home! I presently have four complete and in good working order and a whole bunch of good used parts...and I have to use a bath room to print!

The very worst thing that can happen if you bring it home with you is that you'll spend a few hours taking it apart to sell the pieces here or on eBay. Even if that is all you do, you will have kept the thing out of the dump, learned something and will have helped the community. Of course, it would be enormously better if you restored it and used it!

Go for it!

eddie
17-Dec-2008, 18:59
And it takes another 50 years at least before that "WOW' feeling goes away. For the first print in a session at least.

buy it! $25 barely buys you several beers (at the bend brewery or deshutes......love that black butte) and after the night is out all you have is a morning hang over!

yes, that WOW feeling never goes away. i just started doing wet plate collodion. i get two WOWs per aluminum plate! 1st is when you pour on the developer and the image comes up (as a negative) and the second when you fix it and it pops up as a positive....simply magical!

eddie

h2oman
17-Dec-2008, 19:08
OK, OK! I'm going to take it. Unfortunately I don't have time right now to do all the things I want to, but I'll keep gathering things until I do have time.