PDA

View Full Version : Film for Photographing Snow

Sideshow Bob
16-Dec-2008, 14:27
In your opinion, what is the best 4x5 transparency film for snow? Do you filter it? 81A, B, C or other?
Thanks,
Gale

mrladewig
16-Dec-2008, 14:35
I like Provia and E100G for snow. They both have wider latitude than Velvia or E100VS which is handy. The E100G especially has neutral whites and grays. These are also my favorite all around films.

I don't like filters on snow normally. With snow, I want the reflected colors to actually show, so blue in the shadows and pink with alpenglow, etc. Both these films do this well I think.

In my experience, astia seems best able to handle highlight details, but it doesn't generate the best blues.

E100G in snow
http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1491&g2_serialNumber=1

Provia in snow (and a very cold -4F morning)
http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=826&g2_serialNumber=2

eric black
16-Dec-2008, 15:42
another vote for provia and e100g- and another vote for unfiltered unless the scene has water that needs to be polarized

Glenn Thoreson
16-Dec-2008, 22:42
If you want a cold blue tint, try tunsten film. I think most I've seen lately is 64T or some such. It doesn't fit every need but it can be interesting for some scenes.

Sideshow Bob
17-Dec-2008, 10:08
Thanks for the feedback. I've been using Provia but I haven't tried the Kodak E100G so I need to give that a try. Also, I'm not a big fan of blue shadows so I guess I'll stick with the 81 series filters.
Thanks again,
Gale

Paul Kierstead
17-Dec-2008, 10:36
I recently tried out a little Provia in snow (Test Shot (homepage.mac.com/paulkierstead/Gallery/balaclava_web.jpg)) and even under heavily overcast skys, it easily exceeded the films latitude. I'm tempted to try pulling it. I think I'll try some negative film next time; got some VPS in the fridge...

AutumnJazz
17-Dec-2008, 11:25
What is E100G? That new color negative film?

mrladewig
18-Dec-2008, 14:40
What is E100G? That new color negative film?

No.

It is an Ektachrome film that replaced Kodak's older E100S. There is another version called E100GX which is warmer, replacing E100SW, but it is not available in sheets. This film is comparable to Provia in saturation and contrast, but the palette is different. E100G has a much finer grain than E100S.

The new color negative is called Ektar 100 and it is only available in 35mm right now.

Mel-

mrladewig
18-Dec-2008, 14:44
I recently tried out a little Provia in snow (Test Shot (homepage.mac.com/paulkierstead/Gallery/balaclava_web.jpg)) and even under heavily overcast skys, it easily exceeded the films latitude. I'm tempted to try pulling it. I think I'll try some negative film next time; got some VPS in the fridge...

The color negative would surely work better for that scene. I've been able to use E100G and Provia at sunrise and sunset without issue, but there is still a limited range with these films.