PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Ektar 100

scrichton
15-Dec-2008, 09:26
Has anyone heard on the grapevine if kodak are to release their new 100 color print film in sheet form?

Looks pretty darn sweet by all accounts.

D. Bryant
15-Dec-2008, 12:05
Has anyone heard on the grapevine if kodak are to release their new 100 color print film in sheet form?

Looks pretty darn sweet by all accounts.
This will be a 35 mm only film from all the accounts I have picked up on the internet. But don't take my word for it, call Kodak in Rochester.

Don Bryant

David Luttmann
15-Dec-2008, 12:48
I think Kodak is waiting to see how well it sells in 35mm. At this point, I doubt if we’ll see it in 120 let alone 4x5. It’s pretty sweet in 35mm though. It has brought new life to my old 35 gear. Definitely works upwards of 16x24, which is more than most people printed from 35mm anyway.

For me, I’ll stick with Astia until they release a 4x5 version of Ektar.

mrladewig
15-Dec-2008, 15:31
It didn't sound like it would be available in anything but 135 to me either. I ran a roll through my 35mm. The grain was extremely fine. Noticeably finer than 100UC, Porta 160NC and Fuji Pro160S. But I'm not sure where I would find a place for it as a 4X5 film even if it were offered. The dynamic range was short like an E-6 film, but you have to jump through all the C-41 hoops to scan it.

I think I'll stick with E100G myself. For me, this film offers good dynamic range, good color saturation, neutral neutrals and extremely fine grain.

Don Hutton
15-Dec-2008, 15:47
The dynamic range was short like an E-6 film, but you have to jump through all the C-41 hoops to scan it.Not my experience at all - at least 10 stops of DR - quite unlike any E6 film I've ever used. The film is extremely fine grained, but not ultra sharp (sort of similar to Astia IMO - fine grained, but not super sharp - more saturated color palette), but obviously with the benefits of great dynamic range. I've shot about 20 rolls of it. During a conversation with someone at Kodak a couple of weeks ago, it was mentioned that there are definitely currently no plans to release it in any other size other than 35mm.

Paul Kierstead
15-Dec-2008, 15:48
Sheesh, would it kill people to mention the actual name of the film?

Don Hutton
15-Dec-2008, 15:49
Sheesh, would it kill people to mention the actual name of the film?
It's mentioned in every single posting in this thread - dare you to find it on your own...! A clue - look at the title of each posting.

Paul Kierstead
15-Dec-2008, 15:51
It's mentioned in every single posting in this thread - dare you to find it on your own...! A clue - look at the title of each posting.

Yeah, yeah, I didn't look at the *)(&(#%*&(# title

<embarassed and hiding>

It is the end of the work day...

David A. Goldfarb
15-Dec-2008, 17:01
I asked a Kodak rep at Photoplus in New York. He said they're testing it in medium format and sheet sizes. I just got my first roll of 35mm back. Fine grain and good colors, but the greens are a bit intense.

Don Hutton
16-Dec-2008, 09:15
I asked a Kodak rep at Photoplus in New York. He said they're testing it in medium format and sheet sizes. Interpolating from previous "comments" about Kodak products made by Kodak reps, I'd say that is confirmation of the death knell in any size other than 35mm.