View Full Version : Cropping 6x7 negs?

Hailu Shack
23-Jul-2001, 11:12
I think I am the happy owner of a Calumet C2 6x7 film holder. It is used; but has worked very well for me [all of 2 rolls of film].

SITUATION: I can develop my rolls of TMAX 100 just fine, at home. I do not have a dark room, no equipment, and no space for an enlarger and developing. I only have one lens - 8 1/2" [approx. 215mm]. I just bought a Delta1 2in1 Cropper [a heavy paper push-pull proportioning device].

QUESTION: How can I make notes, bracket-out, or whatever you call it, so that I can take the negs to my photo store to send to the lab, AND get the cropping I wanted?


Let me at once thank many of you for the kind and thoughtful input you provided me while I was searching for info on 4x5 monorails. I purchased a substantive Cambo/Calumet outfit similar to the 540 Model [it appears they hate to stamp their products with anything but their name and pa

Richard S. Ross
23-Jul-2001, 12:46
You really need to go to a smaller custom B/W lab so you can talk with the printer directly. You can always get the cropping you want by marking up a transparancy sleeve with the framing, but you will probably never get the resulting prints you want without working with the printer yourself. That is my experience at least.

Charlie Stracl
23-Jul-2001, 16:17
You can print contact prints at home, even without a permanent darkroom. (If you really don't want to do any processing Chicago Albumen Works, I think, still offers printing out paper.All you need is a printing frame, and sunlight. You can tone or fix for a permanent image, but no solutions are required to get a temporary image.)

With wet processing, use RC paper, get an 8x10 contact printing frame, and all you really have to have is developer & fixer. Do it in your bathroom. At night, if you have windows. A hair dryer will work for fast drying of the prints. If you're really pressed for counter space, use a rotary processor.

Then, too, you could use polaroid in camera to make a print to indicate cropping, and make the main shot on regular film.

Finally, you could check out Daylab products. They make dedicated enlargers that print onto Polaroid film. A little expensive, but an option.

So there you have 4 options: printing out paper, wet processing in a temporary setup for contact prints, polaroid in camera, and polaroid enlarging.

Finally, you could scan the negatives into your computer, reverse the image, and draw crop lines.

Five choices.

Clive Kenyon
23-Jul-2001, 16:54
Hailu, I would go with the previous posting and recommend scanning the negs into your computer and either cropping them using a photo program like Adobe or printing them full size and drawing your crop lines.

Scanning onto a flatbed is no hassle using a standard lightbox for illumination. All the images on my homepage (www.clivekenyon.homestead.com) were scanned in this manner and most are 35mm.


Wayne Crider
24-Jul-2001, 00:30
I use post-it-notes and stick them on my proofs to show the cropping. I suspect that a contact print sheet would work for submission, as then you could draw/write on it.

Scott Walton
24-Jul-2001, 16:31
With some pro labs, if they use crop cards to machine print the negs, ask for a bunch of the assorted sizes. All you do is to tape the edges of the negs to the crop card you choose. You are somewhat limited but most of the cards will do most of the work... other than that, talk to the lab to clearly communicate your needs. It might be that you will pay a custom print price but you cannot print yourself. If you send to a generic consumer lab, you get what they give you.