PDA

View Full Version : Filter question

coops
14-Dec-2008, 22:40
I have an Omega enlarger with a color head and about to embark on my printing odyssey. The enlarger has magenta and yellow filters in the head to adjust contrast. I also have a set of ilford filters. Problem is, I don't know what the equivalent to say,a #3 filter using the enlarger. Is it 30, 60...?
Hoping someone here uses the Omega dichroic and can help me out.

Cheers

Nick_3536
15-Dec-2008, 00:02
What paper are you using? The paper company normally provides the numbers.

They normally provide a speed matched two filter combo. It'll be some yellow and some magenta. Single filter would require exposure compensation.

I'd suggest trying split grade printing. Nice with a colour head.

coops
15-Dec-2008, 05:58
What paper are you using? The paper company normally provides the numbers.

They normally provide a speed matched two filter combo. It'll be some yellow and some magenta. Single filter would require exposure compensation.

I'd suggest trying split grade printing. Nice with a colour head.

It's Ilford multigrade RC deluxe. I see the filter combo info but not for the Chromega enlarger. I guess I could use the numbers given for the Durst?

I would like to try split grade printing. I read a 'how to' last night and the first test strip was made with a 0 yellow filter. This would be setting the yellow to 90 on the Durst. The second test strip was made with a a number 5 filter, or 170 magenta on the Durst. Does this sound about right?

I could try those numbers with nine and see what happens.

Thanks

Ralph Barker
15-Dec-2008, 07:54
It's Ilford multigrade RC deluxe. I see the filter combo info but not for the Chromega enlarger. I guess I could use the numbers given for the Durst?

For the Chromega head, the Ilford Fact Sheet (http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/2006130201152306.pdf) suggests using the values for the Kodak head in their chart.

Note, too, that these filters may fade over time, so some experimentation may be necessary.

coops
15-Dec-2008, 08:20
Thanks Ralph

Nick_3536
15-Dec-2008, 09:23
Durst numbers are different the Omega [Aka US/Kodak standard] To be honest Durst numbers are different then Durst numbers -)

For split dial in all the yellow. Or all the magenta.

ic-racer
16-Dec-2008, 10:12
The Ilford one works well for me with their paper. When using other papers, you may have to make your own chart. Here is how if you are interested in how to do it:
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum41/55179-making-multigrade-calibration-table-color-head.html