PDA

View Full Version : Post your returns .. we always come back

scrichton
14-Dec-2008, 17:44
With my return to Large Format I have realized a few facts before doing it.

1: I had no camera but 20 boxes of film in a drawer.

2: I love the creamy spacious tones of larger film and as much as a 6x6 tlr captures it a bit, there's nothing like iso 100 b&w sheet film for the feeling of space.

3: Large Format shooting is incredibly calming and more satisfying than most other forms. Due to the planning and low number of shots there to use (everyone who has used 35mm, 120 / digital must have had the "must finish the roll / card" feeling at one point)

4: It's really dirt cheap if you already have chemistry and a scanner. £150 got me an Arca-Swiss Pro1, lens board, 127mm ysarex from a polaroid (and the 110a body) and a double dark. Along with a cheap fresnel I had from a flash extender. I have a lightweight compact system to meet all my needs.

5: Using the rubber-band taco method of developing in a daylight tank is the easiest and less problematic way of development. 4 sheets in. Diafine in. Fix in. Wash ... scan and contact print. No problems. I must admit it has given me a new lease of life over the Jobo reel that so graciously made me tear my hair out.

So I'd like this thread to be a little bit of why others have come back around to shooting it again. We all know there is that time of thinking "too much hassle" sell everything then have a dark feeling that the decision was wrong. Time passes then a new system is assembled and off we go again.

Finally attach the first picture from your rejuvenated interests. Just the one, so we can try and keep the thread tidy.

Great to back again and looking forward to seeing what people offer up.

Steven

(ps first shot. Friend on the local pier, little bit of negative tilt. EraPan 100 at 125 in Diafine on the 127mm at f5.6)

Stephanie Brim
14-Dec-2008, 18:34
Can you expand on the rubber band taco method? I'd be very interested in that. ;)

Nathan Potter
14-Dec-2008, 18:40
Yea, the rubber band taco method is something I've never heard of. Sounds kinda interesting and innovative. What's involved?

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

jon.oman
14-Dec-2008, 18:51
I'll bite, what is the "rubber band taco method"?

Jon

BradS
14-Dec-2008, 19:06
the taco method:

you roll the exposed film into a taco - emulsion side in and put a rubber band around it to hold it that way. Several tacos can be processed simultaneously in an ordinary tank like th patterson system 4 tank that holds two 35mm reels.

It is a low cost, simple way to process 4x5 in a daylight tank that most already have.

Laurent
15-Dec-2008, 01:24
Not exactly a return, but I _almost_ made the decision to sell/trade all my LF gear for a MF outfit, as I really have a good feeling and feel creative with my Rolleiflex. I finally decided to delay a bit, and to git the view camera some attention, beacause I really like the slow process, even it sometimes I feel a bit lazy.

Laurent

Aender Brepsom
15-Dec-2008, 04:00
As I take wildlife pictures besides landscapes, I have always been working with Canon gear too, as you really can't capture shy birds with a view camera that easily. Of course, I have taken some landscape shots with the DSLR too. A year ago, when purchasing the 1Ds Mark III, I thought it could do both, wildlife and landscapes. So I sold my 6x9 and 4x5 Ebonys, all the lenses, all the film, light meter etc., really every bit of it. I felt liberated to be able to travel light by plane with just a DSLR body and 2 reasonably small L zoom lenses, to take pictures even during rain showers etc., and I have to say, the image quality was not bad!
But I just missed the pleasure of handling a LF camera, of working at a very slow pace. And I missed the movements and the quality of LF lenses (you know, the thing with the sharp corners and DOF going from foreground to background).

That's why I'm back now, with a small kit of only 3 lenses, but happy to be able to choose between the best gear for each situation.

Lesson learned? Don't sell your gear too quickly! You might miss it afterwards.

Brian Ellis
15-Dec-2008, 22:40
"3: Large Format shooting is incredibly calming and more satisfying than most other forms. Due to the planning and low number of shots there to use (everyone who has used 35mm, 120 / digital must have had the "must finish the roll / card" feeling at one point)"

I used to have that feeling with roll film for sure. But I've never had it with a digital card and I'm not sure why anyone would. There's no need to fill a card before seeing what you have on it. BTW, I like your photograph, nice mood.

neil poulsen
16-Dec-2008, 01:41
What's the prevailing wisdom on how to agitate with the rubber band system?

I'm assuming one stands the "taco" up on it's end.

This is really an interesting approach. I've never heard of it.

mcfactor
16-Dec-2008, 07:34
I have had a lot of trouble with the taco method. The film usually slides out of the rubber bands and gets scratched against the side of the tank and/or unevenly developed. Even if it does not come out of the rubber band, it tends to develop unevenly. In the course of inversion agitation the film rubs against/sticks to everything in the tank, i.e., the walls and the other sheets of film. that being said, if i want to test one or two sheets and i dont care so much about printing the image after, it works fine.

jnantz
16-Dec-2008, 08:49
i thought the taco method was mainly for doing stand development
... let it sit there ...
i would imagine if agitated film that was loose in a tank it would get
kind of scratched up ...

jnantz
16-Dec-2008, 08:54
i guess i keep coming back to LF,
becuase it is more fun contacting bullet proof negatives than
trying to scan / enlarge smaller film that you can't see through.

h2oman
16-Dec-2008, 15:57
Coming back...?

... I'm just getting here!:D

scrichton
17-Dec-2008, 16:22
The filling the card worry is when I shoot a wedding. Not having enough there to satisfy the newly-weds.