PDA

View Full Version : Linhof to speed graphic adapter? Any suggestions?

walter23
14-Dec-2008, 11:59
I have an anniversary speed graphic with a 4x4" board (square, not the rounded corner type). I'd like to build an adapter to use linhof boards on it. Has anyone done this?

Because the boards are so similar in size I suspect I'll have to build an extension of some kind.. maybe a regular board, then a spacer, then thin board the size of a linhof board, and some kind of clipping mechanism to fasten the thin board to the linhof board. (black: the three-layered adapter board, blue: linhof board, red: clips) The space is just so I have something to clip to (the hardware of the speed graphic gets in the way otherwise, so a normal style adapter wouldn't work).

Any other ideas?

If it's too much hassle I'll just keep two separate systems. The speed graphic kind of serves a different function from my shen hao anyway.

Peter K
14-Dec-2008, 12:27
You can look for an adapter board for the use of T IV 4x5" boards on Technika 5x7 cameras. (item no. 001066 or 001087) The metal fittings can be used for other lensboards too, if the board is at least 115mm to 100mm.

Bob Salomon
14-Dec-2008, 13:12
The easiest way would be to get the Linhof M679 to Technika 45 adapter board and bolt it to a Graphic board.

redrockcoulee
14-Dec-2008, 18:43
Walter

I have the same situation trying to figure out an adapter for my Seneca Improved Whole Plate to Linhof. Will look into the M679 route as well. At least on my camera I could attach an entire new faceplate to accommodate the adapter. Good luck. Keep us informed.

Understand it is actually below freezing in Victoria this weekend. Looking forward to when it gets that warm again :)

John Schneider
15-Dec-2008, 08:10
I'll have to build an extension of some kind.. maybe a regular board, then a spacer, then thin board the size of a linhof board, and some kind of clipping mechanism to fasten the thin board to the linhof board. (black: the three-layered adapter board, blue: linhof board, red: clips) The space is just so I have something to clip to (the hardware of the speed graphic gets in the way otherwise, so a normal style adapter wouldn't work).

I did just what you're suggesting for a Toyo 5x7 Metal field, which uses Graphic boards. I used a Toyo 45A-Linhof Technika adapter board, which has sufficient thickness to obviate the need for a spacer, but which necessitated some relief holes/slots be milled in the backside to fit over the Graphic board hardware -- PITA. If I did it again I'd use a Linhof Kardan-Technika adapter board, which is occasionally available used for a reasonable price. It's a flat board so it'll require a spacer, but that will be an easier way to go that using a Toyo 45A adapter board like I did.

walter23
1-Jan-2009, 23:52
Thanks for the suggestions. I had a look at B&H and those boards are unbelievably expensive! Ridiculous! Like $700 for a Technika to M679 adapter, or $300 for the other types.

I think I'll be going with a home brew solution unless I find a cheap used one :)

walter23
1-Jan-2009, 23:54
Understand it is actually below freezing in Victoria this weekend. Looking forward to when it gets that warm again :)

Sorry, lost track of this thread. Yeah, it's been pretty unbelievable. Two solid weeks of real winter with deep snow all across Victoria & the peninsula (and a bone chilling -5 to -9 C). It was just starting to melt when I left for christmas. I'm in Calgary right now, remembering what real cold weather feels like ;)