PDA

View Full Version : my new wet plate back

eddie
13-Dec-2008, 19:27
hi all,

i just thought i would talk about my new wet plate back.

a friend of mine built it for me....and i would like to say it is super nice! thanks cliff!

it attaches to my century studio 8x10 camera. the plate size is 10 3/8 x 10 3/8 inches. this gives me a full 10x10 image on the glass/aluminum. the frame attaches to the camera and then the ground glass attaches to he frame. i remove the GG and then attach the plate holder. the plate holder is a book style holder. it latches with a spring operated latch. the knob that you see on the back is there so the holder sits level when opened. a beautiful mahogany piece.

oh! it also has two inserts that allows me to shoot 8x10 plates as well. (i need to paint them still)

i will pour my 1st plate tomorrow. stay tuned for the results!

more photos here. (http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=881842)

eddie

eddie
13-Dec-2008, 19:28
a couple more

jb7
13-Dec-2008, 21:13
looks great Eddie-
good luck tomorrow-

BarryS
13-Dec-2008, 21:41
That looks pretty nice. Good luck tomorrow and post your results! I hope to pour my first plate by the time of my birthday in February. Has your friend built these before or is this based on other designs? Also, does he accept commissions?

Gustavo
13-Dec-2008, 22:11
Cool !! I am planing to make a12 X camera my self !

walter23
13-Dec-2008, 22:11
I imagine that's quite an ordeal; sometimes just loading film holders seems like a lot of work to me. Have fun!

eddie
14-Dec-2008, 09:06
i got an image on my 1st solo wet plate pour! it was still wet when i snapped the digital photo! i am going to pour another now!

10x10 inch aluminum plate.

thanks everyone for the help!

eddie

jb7
14-Dec-2008, 09:13
Wonderful-
working out great-

Tracy Storer
14-Dec-2008, 10:44
Looks great, but, Dude, You need to get some wheels on that studio stand. : )
Go to www.mcmaster.com, search "caster" then select "stem" then you can get the right stem style and size. Rolling's better than carrying!

eddie
14-Dec-2008, 10:53
Dude, You need to get some wheels on that studio stand. : )

har har har! i use the hand truck to move it! i plan on putting some "off road" wheels on her too. :)

here is my 3rd plate. f11 water house stop used. 10 seconds.

Pete Roody
14-Dec-2008, 11:01
way cool! looks like the camera will fit in a backpack so bring it to the citi next week.

fuegocito
14-Dec-2008, 17:02
wow!!!! congra all around!!!! That is way cool!

Robert

BarryS
14-Dec-2008, 17:44
Man, I don't see studio cameras up on blocks too often. :) Those look like pretty decent plates. Starting off with 10" x 10"--that's confidence.

Tracy Storer
14-Dec-2008, 21:48
har har har! i use the hand truck to move it! i plan on putting some "off road" wheels on her too. :)

here is my 3rd plate. f11 water house stop used. 10 seconds.

I'm not being cute or an A**hole, just trying to be helpful, I LOVE having my cameras on wheels.....hadn't thought of the hand-truck, I was imagining you and a friend carrying it around like a monster fold-a-bed and having to do it over and over to compose : )
Your plates are looking nice, wet-plate is big fun, I took a workshop this summer and will be setting up my own kit sometime when other projects slow down.

Turner Reich
14-Dec-2008, 21:56
Congratulations on the new camera and learning the process, it all looks like it's coming together for you.

eddie
15-Dec-2008, 04:09
thanks guys!

tracy, i know you were serious. i appreciate your help.......thanks! i am going to get some wheels...and i am looking for some that will allow me to wheel her over some uneven terrain! i am planning to have it semi portable! i figure with all the extra wet plate crap you have to carry around with you a stand would just add to the mix. :) i need to have the big lens board so i can shoot a large variety of lenses (and of course a big plate) seems a lot easier than a giant tripod as far as setting it up and and moving it around. the hand cart works perfectly for getting it in and out of the garage right now.

i am going to try and make a few more plates this evening.

johnschlicher
19-Dec-2008, 07:38
That is awesome, how to you make a wet plate?