PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Anastigmat f/4.5 6 3/8in?

eli
12-Dec-2008, 23:41
I just received what I believe is a No. 32, Kodak Anastigmat f/4.5 6 3/8in (161mm) from 1945 (ER****) and I can't tell if there is separation between between elements or simply some material that can be cleaned from the inner lenses.

How should I clean these and just how do I get at the inner glass? I think these just screw apart but I don't know for sure so I'm asking first. There is no shutter but the iris works fine and I want to use this on a speed graphic.

Any other info on these lenses is welcomed, in including sites with pics and lens design drawings.

Eli

Oren Grad
12-Dec-2008, 23:53
The front and rear cells should screw easily out of the barrel with the iris.

Getting inside the cells is another matter. Inspecting mine, the elements look as though they're cemented in place.

eli
13-Dec-2008, 00:24
Thanks, the cells are frozen beyond what can be unscrewed by (my) normal hand torquing so I'll try something mechanical latter today. I do hope this lens does not have a separation issue, I'd like to see what it can do.

Eli

Gene McCluney
13-Dec-2008, 10:28
You need a lens spanner wrench. You can get a set of these from Micro-Tools. They have a web page.

eli
15-Dec-2008, 00:41
Gene, I took a close look at the lens and there are no notches anywhere for a spanner to grasp.

I wonder if a friction type tool is called for here, there are set-screws in place that seem to lock the elements in place; at least the front and back.

Any other ideas?

Eli

Mike Tobias
15-Dec-2008, 03:12
If this is like a number of other Kodak lenses I've had, the rings that hold the lens elements in place are actually sitting behind each of the elements. I've opened many a stuck lens with those great "jar gripping" pads that you can get in supermarkets, or cooking stores. They're made of a pretty tough rubber, and they are very grippy indeed, and the only lens I've not been able to open with them was one that turned out to be epoxied :mad: shut. The other nice thing is that the pads are soft enough that you can touch the glass with them and not do any damage.

Mike

venchka
15-Dec-2008, 07:15
What Mike said. Worked for me.

eli
15-Dec-2008, 11:57
Thanks, I'll get some pads and give it a try.

Let me ask, do you remove the set-screws first or are they there for some other purpose?

Eli

Mike Tobias
15-Dec-2008, 17:50
If there are set screws (ie, screws that are through the side of the barrel into the threads) DEFINITELY remove them first, otherwise you might damage the threads by forcing the lens. I almost did this with a Kodak process lens a while back, but noticed the screws before I unscrewed the elements. Make sure you get all the screws, some lenses have just one, I've found lenses with as many as 4 before, so if you're still having trouble removing the elements, be sure to look and see if you've missed a screw.

Mike

Gene McCluney
15-Dec-2008, 21:32
Gene, I took a close look at the lens and there are no notches anywhere for a spanner to grasp.

I wonder if a friction type tool is called for here, there are set-screws in place that seem to lock the elements in place; at least the front and back.

Any other ideas?

Eli

My mistake, what I meant to say was you need a flexiclamp. This grips around the outside edge. Go to http://www.micro-tools.com/store/home.aspx

Do a search for flexiclamp. They have 10 pages of them.