PDA

View Full Version : Photographers in OKC area

Rick-okc
12-Dec-2008, 10:15
I'm wondering how many large format photographers we have in the Oklahoma City area? Anyone interested in getting together to talk and/or shoot?

My number is 471 dash 2517.

johnschlicher
7-Jan-2009, 18:55
Good luck--on that buddy--I'm in valley center, ks, the shooter's around here are far and few. It would be nice nice to start a local group, maybe we could have a muti-state convention

Rick Floyd
8-Jan-2009, 11:54
Hey Rick:

I've been watching this post since it came up. Tell ya what, I'll meet you at Turner Falls if we can get an agreed day; that's about half way for each of us. I usually shoot the falls with Velvia just before sunrise because they face toward the east. There are rock formations to catch as well. I shoot 4x5 Ebony and Rodenstock glass. 214 dash 868 dash 1139. Bring John along and any one else; we'll leave that TX vs OU thing behind for some photos.

Rick Floyd

mikebarger
8-Jan-2009, 18:15
Anyone between OKC and Rolla. MO?

Mike

Wm Blunt
8-Jan-2009, 18:44
Anyone between OKC and Rolla. MO?

Mike

Almost, I'm about five miles east of Rolla :) in St. James

Wm Blunt

mikebarger
8-Jan-2009, 20:14
Hey, that is pretty close. Do you know if there are any others?

My wife and I have only been down here since July. Moved from Topeka.

Mike

johnschlicher
9-Jan-2009, 06:06
Any body by Wichita, KS

Wm Blunt
9-Jan-2009, 13:01
Hey, that is pretty close. Do you know if there are any others?

My wife and I have only been down here since July. Moved from Topeka.

Mike

Don't know about other photographers in the area. Welcome to the area.

Wm Blunt

Gene McCluney
10-Jan-2009, 10:57
I'm wondering how many large format photographers we have in the Oklahoma City area? Anyone interested in getting together to talk and/or shoot?

My number is 471 dash 2517.

I'm in Van Buren, Arkansas which is right on the Oklahoma border on I-40. A few hours drive from Missouri or OKC. I do most of my photography in Oklahoma, as I am photographing all the vintage metal truss bridges in the State and there are (it seems) thousands.

Rick-okc
21-Jan-2009, 13:13
Hey Rick:

I've been watching this post since it came up. Tell ya what, I'll meet you at Turner Falls if we can get an agreed day; that's about half way for each of us. I usually shoot the falls with Velvia just before sunrise because they face toward the east. There are rock formations to catch as well. I shoot 4x5 Ebony and Rodenstock glass. 214 dash 868 dash 1139. Bring John along and any one else; we'll leave that TX vs OU thing behind for some photos.

Rick Floyd

Rick,

Just noticed your reply. Been busy with family matters.
I like the idea of meeting at Turner Falls sometimes. Do you drive up the day before and spend the night or do you drive up in the middle of the night?
Let try and figure out a time to do this!

bspeed
21-Jan-2009, 13:31
If you 'll have me, I might be able to join with you all.

Rick-okc
22-Jan-2009, 17:04
If you 'll have me, I might be able to join with you all.

Sounds great! Where are you located?

bspeed
22-Jan-2009, 17:23
Sounds great! Where are you located?

In Van Alstyne, 15 Min south of Sherman.

Rick-okc
23-Jan-2009, 09:17
Guys,

Been talking to Bryan in Van Alstyne, Tx. How does sometime in the spring sound when everything is looking a little better. I'll be coming down the day before and getting a room or camping in Turner Falls. Lets pick this up around the 1st of March and figure out a date.

Between now and then, if anyone is passing through OKC, give me a call. If nothing more, we can get together and talk.

Darren H
28-Jan-2009, 19:20
Hey I would be interested in this as well. I am in Fort Worth and I know at least one other person who would day trip to Turner Falls from here too.

Rick Floyd
29-Jan-2009, 11:00
Yo Rick:

I usually leave the house by 4:30 or 5 in the morning to get to the falls about 30 minutes before sunrise. If the light is right I'll even shoot some 120. My next window of opportunity will be February 14. I know it's Valentines Day but I bought my wife a great gift this year so she will not mind.

After I shoot the falls I scout around for rock formations or patterns. There was a huge range fire in that area a couple of years ago and there might be some charred trees around. Driving the back roads of Oklahoma could turn up an old barn or old farm equipment. There's always the Chickasaw National Rec Area for some small streams near Sulpher, OK. http://www.chickasaw.net/ I'm open to photograph sights you may know of closer to OKC East or West along the I35 corridor.

This is one of the shots I took in September 2006:

http://picasaweb.google.com/rafloyd2589/TurnerFalls#

Rick-okc
1-Feb-2009, 12:50
February 14th is out for me. If we shoot on that day, I'll have to come home and live with you. How about March?

rhyno
18-Feb-2009, 00:47
i would love to go to turner falls with all of you, i have yet to get a lf camera but im sure i could learn alot from you, the one thing that sucks is i have my second ACL surgery on march 2nd, p.s. if anyone would like to get together and maybe show me a few tricks of the trade i would really like to learn, and i live in edmond if anyone in the area would like to meet up sometime

Rick-okc
6-Mar-2009, 18:30
Guys,

I and Rick Floyd are planning on meeting at Turner Fall next weekend, Sat March 14th.

I know it's short notice but hope most of you can make it.

RmFrase
13-Mar-2009, 19:51
Darren informed me of the trip and I would definately want to go. If not tomorrow, at some other time. It's been raining here in the Fort Worth area for the past two days, and I been checking the NOAA forcast for Turner Falls, and it's not looking too good from all that I've seen. I may have to make it another time. Let me know.

bspeed
14-Mar-2009, 21:58
I wanted to give a big THANKS to the "two Ricks" for getting this going!

It was a good time out there, and I simply did not bring enough 4x5 film!!
There was plenty to shoot, and so I eventually used up several rolls of 120 and a roll of 35.

The occasional sprinkles were a hassle, but they let up after while. All in all, an excellent time and I certainly look forward to going there again.

Thanks!

Rick-okc
15-Mar-2009, 12:17
Glad you made it too!!!

How does Wichita Wildlife refuge sound for the next shoot???

bspeed
15-Mar-2009, 15:50
Do the subjects hold still for that 1/15 shutter ? :)

Rick-okc
16-Mar-2009, 03:50
As long as they're not charging!

bspeed
16-Mar-2009, 06:52
Arkansas is on my agenda for this year. Do you have any places there you might want to go to ? Easiest to start at the Western part of the State.

Rick Floyd
16-Mar-2009, 10:30
Hey Guys:

Thank you for all the fun had at the Falls. It's one of those parks most everyone in the area went to when they were kids in the summer time. The rest of the year it has very few visitors especially early in the morning. In peak season and weekends the place is very crowded.

Special thanks to Mr. Rick-OKC, Mike, and Mr.Bspeed for their part in the shoot. We had very nice light, filtered evenly through a low overcast and temperatures in the mid forties. Thank you for your kind words for the few prints I brought along to critique over breakfast. And thank you Mike and Rick for keeping my kids in stitches with your wry humor.

I can attest to the fact that this forum has quality people from all over the world.

Hope to see you again at Wichita Wildlife Refuge soon.

RF

RmFrase
16-Mar-2009, 11:59
I now wish I had gone, but being a (approx) 2hr drive from Fort Worth, I was concerned about the rain as we had repeated showers for several days.

-Robert

venchka
18-Mar-2009, 09:00
Y'all are having too much fun. I need to get in on one of these shindigs. One of these days I'll have a free weekend.