PDA

View Full Version : goerz argyle 12" lens ???

johnschlicher
12-Dec-2008, 05:21
Dear Sirs,

I need your help I have a Goerz Argyle 12" lens, and I can not find any information on this lens, or any current sales. I'm pretty sure this came off a goerz copy camera

Steve Hamley
12-Dec-2008, 07:59
Probably a process Dagor, like the Kenro or American Optical K-series. It's a nice lens if it's clean and in good shape. I had a 240mm a couple of years back that just resold on eBay.

Cheers,

Steve

Ernest Purdum
12-Dec-2008, 09:28
Argyle, not Goerz, was the camera maker. The American Goerz company used to make lenses to copy camera maker's specifications and add their name, such as those Steve Hamley mentions. These were symmetrical lenses optimized for close work but quite useful at longer distances when well stopped down.

Close the diaphragm and look at the reflection of one light. If you see four strong reflections, I think you can safely assume it to be an Apo-Artar type. Should you see only two strong reflections, the asumption would be a Process Dagor with somewhat wider coverage than the Artar.

John Schneider
12-Dec-2008, 15:06
FYI:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130257268782

johnschlicher
13-Dec-2008, 09:17
Thank you, it has four strong reflections, does any one know if this could be fitted into a shutter, I can get the rear element unscrewed, but the front appears to be stuck.

I also have an Emil Bush rathneow Omnar with a 13" focal length, but yours truly tried to fix an old voulte shutter--now I have no shutter--any suggestions on a newer type shutter--

I'm also looking for the sept, issuse of the portrait magazine year 1917, my great grandfather is the featured photographer in this magazine--Reward if found, thanks John

Steve Hamley
13-Dec-2008, 09:26
It will most likely not screw directly into a shutter. I had S.K. Grimes mount mine, about $350 plus the shutter. It's hard to come out financially mounting barrel lenses, but if it's clean and a Dagor-type. it might be worth it.

Cheers,

Steve

Tracy Storer
13-Dec-2008, 09:37
FYI:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130257268782

Man, I had one of those, the exact 14x18 model, and had to give it away and spent two hours helping the guy take it apart to fit it in his compact car! Some deals just don't pay. (I kept the Apo Gerogon that came with it, though. I suspect the camera is still dis-assembled and cluttering some corner of his garage....maybe I win after all!)

Ralph Barker
13-Dec-2008, 09:52
Didn't the Argyles create strange, diamond-shaped patterns in the exposure, though? ;)