PDA

View Full Version : Best 6x9 camera back

Void
12-Dec-2008, 02:13
Hello

Is there a 6x9 camera back* that can be found cheap and allows usage of 6.5x9 double side plastic film holders?

* For US citizens: 6x9 means 2x3.

Brian Stein
12-Dec-2008, 04:16
I dont quite understand the question:
1. Do you have a camera and need an adaptor to use 6.5x9 holders
2. are you looking for a camera that will take such holders

As you state the holders are plastic I presume they are not plate holders. I dont know if the outside dimensions of 6.5x9 and 2x3 are the same: if they are and you want option 2. any of the press cameras eg graphics will do. For option 1. a graphic may need to be sacrificed to make it. Look at www.graflex.org.

Hope this helps

Void
12-Dec-2008, 04:30
Hi

1. I have Plaubel Peco Junior 6x9. (I have asked about it in the thread below this).
Its spring back leaves narrow slit to use only sigle sheet metal holders. It's not bad, but thet holders are in fact plate holders with metal inserts. Not convenient. I have seen find 6.5x9 Linhof plastic film holders and I wonder if I could get easily some 6x9 back to use them and attach it to my fine Plaubel.

2. I have a camera and I am looking only for a back.
Thank you for the Baby Speed/Ceuntry/Crown Graphics idea, but I don't want to chop one (yet at least). So mayby the are some cameras with such detachable back. I could buy only the back then.

Brian Stein
12-Dec-2008, 16:18
I dont know the camera personally, but I am surprised the standard back will open so little to not take a double holder.

Plaubel made a graflock back for this camera http://www.flickr.com/photos/schwigor/376502409/in/photostream/ If you could find it it should take regular holders.

Also look here http://glennview.com/vcam.htm he has an item that will allow use of rollfilm holder and standard holders

Void
12-Dec-2008, 17:38
1. That back definitely doesn't look like a Plaubel oryginal part, so someone has adopted another one. That's the solution I was thinking about. The question remains: where does it came from?

2. That http://glennview.com/jpgs/vcam/linhof/adapter/big_2.jpg part would be to big as it is 9x12 back.

Tony Lakin
13-Dec-2008, 04:25
Hello

Is there a 6x9 camera back* that can be found cheap and allows usage of 6.5x9 double side plastic film holders?

* For US citizens: 6x9 means 2x3.

Hi
Find attached photos of a Linhof 6X9 back which I have adapted to fit a Sinar/Horseman, I can recomend this as a quality item, it may be possible for you to find one and adapt it to fit your Plaubel Peco, I got my back from Mr Cad in the UK (www.mrcad.co.uk) their website is rather slow so a telephone call would be better, speak to Alex Falk the owner he is most helpful.
Good luck:) :) :)

Void
13-Dec-2008, 05:28
Hello

Thank you for the link.The solution seems good, but for a price of £200-300 I will stay with what I have.

Tony Lakin
13-Dec-2008, 06:18
Hello

Thank you for the link.The solution seems good, but for a price of £200-300 I will stay with what I have.

Hi Jacub
I paid £70 two years ago.

Brian Stein
14-Dec-2008, 05:42
I think you may have the wrong item. Look at this one:
Galvin International back adapted to the Plaubel Peco Jr., for use with Graphic or Horseman rollholders and ordinary cutfilm holders. I call it a Graflok back on steroids. I consider the Galvin back a world class back. That's why I bought many of them before Jim Galvin passed away. The Galvin back even opens wide enough to accomodate a Glaflarger cold light head. More pictures of the Galvin back at the bottom of this page. Mint-, $300.

I dont know if this one would work:
6X9 Galvin Graflock back on steroids, will accept Graphic and Horseman rollfilm holders meant for a 6x9 back w/o the need to remove the GG back, with GG, outside dimensions 5X5", illustrated with 23RH10 rollback (not included), the spring does not obstruct the rollholders advance lever, new, $100. Will even accept a very thick 6X9 Graflarger back!

Void
14-Dec-2008, 09:29
I will have to ask Jim about it. $100 is something to consider, but three times as much is more then I have paid for the camera and 2 lenses.
Thank you all for an overview of solutions.