PDA

View Full Version : Photographing Gary Indiana

Steve M Hostetter
11-Dec-2008, 11:54
Hello,,

I was just recently looking around on the net for information on the Jackson 5 .. I came across a link to photographs of abandon buildings in Gary IN and on the sign of the theater there the words Jackson five tonight.
There were photos on the facade and interior of several abandon buildings,, churches, and old brewries...

I thought to myself, "I'd like to do that." I've had several local Indiana LF photographers already asking me if i'd like to go shoot and I feel like this might make a great oppertunity to shoot something of historic value and become aquainted.

So, I'd like to ask anyone near Gary, Chicago, Southbend, Michigan City , Indianapolis, or any place in between or even far..

Lets pick a day maybe soon and just go do it... ! What do ya say ?

Steve M Hostetter
11-Dec-2008, 11:56
I'm guessing by the sign reading Jackson five tonight that the building has been empty since the early 60's do to economic decline of the steel mills..

Colleen K
11-Dec-2008, 12:42
If you're familiar with the Midwest Large Format Asylum, there is actually an outing scheduled to Gary, Indiana this Saturday, December 13 -the plan so far is to photograph the abandoned City Methodist Church, and possibly explore some other areas as well. You can check out details in the forum at www.midwestlargeformat.com
Everyone is welcome to join us.

Colleen

Colleen K
11-Dec-2008, 12:44
Forgot to mention, you will need to login to access the full forum.

Colleen

Steve M Hostetter
11-Dec-2008, 13:12
Jeepers creepers Colleen ,,, I must have been tuned into my ESP channel,, Thats in just 2 days.. Where do we meet? I'm game..! hehe

Colleen K
11-Dec-2008, 13:40
We're planning on meeting for breakfast at 8:00 at the Flying J truck stop just south of 80/94 at the Grant Street Exit. After breakfast we'll probably head to the church (located at 566 Washington St.), and then there was talk of visiting an old train station in the area that was spotted on last years excursion to the area.
Hope you can make it.
Colleen

Steve M Hostetter
11-Dec-2008, 14:31
Thank you Colleen I'll be there...

Steve M Hostetter
12-Dec-2008, 17:33
Well, I'm all packed and ready to go... I suppose it will be cold so I shall dress for winter.. Shame though, I only have 12- 8x10 sheets of film left but oh well ,, I look forward to a productive shoot non the less..

Cheers

Charles Hohenstein
13-Dec-2008, 17:25
Well, how did it go?

John Jarosz
14-Dec-2008, 07:49
This was a very interesting destination. I have always thought about visiting Gary for a photo op, but I really didn't want to do it alone. This Midwest group gets my "thumbs up" for getting different people together and into new territory, not just the same old same old. I would say that Gary is past rock bottom and now is on the upswing. There are pockets of new housing developments sprouting up. The old church is completely blown out by the elements. Probably not used since the depression, I would guess decay began in the early 60's after all the pews and fixtures were removed. In spite of this church complex being abandoned for a very long time, there was very little grafitti. The building is very photogenic. There are endless possibilities here, but it's a very intimidating spot for someone to do this alone. Having a group (7) really put everyone at ease. I've done a lot of old buildings, but I wouldn't do this one alone.

In addition, another downside is the fact that the structure is in imminent danger of failure, it's probably not the safest place to stand. Gary is probably the only city where the local authorities haven't sealed off the building to prevent casual entrance. If I ever go back I'll take my hardhat.

John

Steve M Hostetter
14-Dec-2008, 10:50
Hello,,

I don't know what you mean John,, the place isn't creepy:eek: :D Thx for letting me tag along ! I had the time of my life.. !

Wayne Randall
16-Dec-2008, 07:51
I Live in Miller Beach which is part of Gary Indiana. Next time you plan to visit let me know there are some great places both good and bad to get some pics. The closest I've come to Large format Photography is to stitch some digital pics into panos.
but I know the area ..... and better places to meet .
Wayne Randall

Steve M Hostetter
16-Dec-2008, 08:46
Hello Wayne,

Lots more work there to be done and I intend to preoccupy myself with this subject matter for as long as it takes...
I plan on going back in a month or two and shooting for several days if thats what it takes...
A person like yourself that is familiar with the area is just what we need ... Thank you for responding and I will be in touch..