PDA

View Full Version : Question: bw users-- Epson 3800, which model?

Raymond Bleesz
10-Dec-2008, 06:54
For those users of the Epson 3800 who print mostly in bw & perhaps occasionally in color, does the Epson 300 "standard" model satisfy your requirements for the most part, or did you choose the Portrait or Pro model? And if so why?

For my needs, I think the "standard" model would be sufficient, however, before I commit to its purchase, I'd like to hear from you all regarding which model you might have chosen?

Thank you for your input--Raymond

BarryS
10-Dec-2008, 07:09
I recommend getting the standard package. The "Pro" package comes with a crippled Colorburst RIP that only works with Epson papers and the "Portrait" edition comes with some extra print layout software that doesn't do anything beyond some other free to cheap programs. My opinion is the 3800 doesn't need a RIP to get superb black and white results.

J. Gilbert Plantinga
10-Dec-2008, 08:36
What Barry said. I run a 3800 and a 9800 in my business and I have the full version of the Colorburst RIP. The bundled version will add nothing (on the older printers the included an ethernet card with the Pro package, but you already get that built in with the 3800).

Gilbert
www.gilplant.com
www.upstatelight.com

Eric Brody
10-Dec-2008, 09:52
I have been using the standard model, printing 90+ percent in black and white and have been extremely pleased with the ABW print driver. It is easy to manipulate and gives superb results. Stick with the regular model, the ink and paper are expensive enough.

Good luck.

Eric

Brian Ellis
10-Dec-2008, 09:54
Get the standard version and use QTR (free trial, $50 if you want to keep it) for your b&w prints.

dwhistance
10-Dec-2008, 10:29
I agree with Brian. Use QTR for your B&W prints.

David Whistance

Tyler Boley
10-Dec-2008, 12:21
I third that. the CB RIP may be a nice tool for some purposes, but QTR will meet your B&W needs to a higher degree in my opinion...
Tyler