PDA

View Full Version : Arca 4x5 Screen

more photography
9-Dec-2008, 12:33
Hi

I have an Arca Field with Orbix (Axial Tilt) - very happy withe camera, I am able to view the image on the GG and focys comfortably when using lenses longer than 110, hower I find viewing the image and focusing on my new SA 72XL, somehow harder. The image a lot darker and I can see the fresenl lines easily, which distracts.

The Arca comes with a fresnel and a GG.

From your experience is replacemnet GG or fresnel for wide angle alenses, and is there any need for it.

Overall Happy with the Kit, but prefer more an evenely lit image, which will help with focusing.

Capocheny
9-Dec-2008, 13:04
Hi,

It's standard fare for wide-angle lenses that focusing is going to be more difficult than that with longer lenses.

Since I use an Arca as well, when focusing with either the 72 or 110, I find it helps to let your eyes acclimate under the dark cloth for a longer time than with longer lenses.

FWIW, I think the Arca gg is pretty bright in comparison to some others. I, personally, don't see a need to replace the screen but that's a personal choice.

Of course, you can always go to one of the specialty brands, which have been well documented here on the forum in the past.

Good luck.

Cheers

Greg Miller
9-Dec-2008, 13:14
Ditto everything Capocheny said. The Arca glass is very bright. You can replace it with something brighter, like a Maxwell, but you will only get marginally better results - nothing significant.

more photography
10-Dec-2008, 02:43
Ditto everything Capocheny said. The Arca glass is very bright. You can replace it with something brighter, like a Maxwell, but you will only get marginally better results - nothing significant.

Thanks - Just to wanted to understyand your experience, will save my money.

Emmanuel BIGLER
10-Dec-2008, 07:48
Thanks - Just to wanted to understand your experience, will save my money.

Exactly same experience and opinion as Capochemy and Greg.
I often use the A/S binocular reflex viewer which allows you be more comfortable with wide-angle lenses when you tilt or shift. You can adjust the reflex mirror angle so that the centre of the field gets as bright as possible.
Silvestri has on catalog a simple & afffordable tiltable loupe to address the same issues.

... will save my money...
Euh.... the A/S reflex viewer is not that cheap, unfortnuately...