PDA

View Full Version : Bruno Tavolini enlarger with Xenonlight

picturetraveler
8-Dec-2008, 06:25
Hello,

I am getting a Bruno Tavolini 40x40 cm enlager with Xenonlight and was wondering if there are still people using this type of enlarger.

I will transport it to my darkroom over the holidays...

I was hoping to find information how heavy this machine is. It has to come from the second floor. We intend to dismount the head and the table., but I was wondering if anyone knows how heavy the column is.

looking forward to hearing from you
regards from Gent

Marc

Michael Jones
8-Dec-2008, 08:05
I've not heard of such an enlarger, but from your photo, I see why we are having global warming... :)

Good luck.

Mike

ic-racer
8-Dec-2008, 08:42
Fantastic enlarger. I guess that would translate into a 15" x 15" enlarger. Looks like a pulsed Xenon discharge light source that would be able to expose alt. process materials.

al olson
8-Dec-2008, 09:11
I am curious Marc. I have a Beseler enlarger with the Minolta 45A head that uses 7 zenon flash tubes. (It is now in semi-retirement.) I am wondering if the tubes for your enlarger are similar. I would be interested to know if you have a source.

A few years ago both B&H and Adorama listed these tubes and they were priced at around $50 each. I put off buying them for obvious reasons ($350) and now I am down to using my last set.

I started a thread on this forum a year or so ago inquiring about sources for these xenon tubes but nothing surfaced. Searching the internet for the bulb suppliers did not turn up results either. Good luck!

Nathan Potter
8-Dec-2008, 09:29
Don't know this enlarger but it looks like a heavy monster that will require considerable dis-assembly to move down stairs. The lamp house is heavily exhausted by the looks, so I would guess that the bulb or bulbs (xenon) are very high wattage. If DC arc types they can't be easily turned off and on or toggled but need to be left on to stabilize. If so there will be a shutter mechanism to control exposure. Bulb costs are likely to be in the $500 to $2000 range. Looks like a fine piece of gear though.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

CG
8-Dec-2008, 09:59
... inquiring about sources for these xenon tubes but nothing surfaced. Searching the internet for the bulb suppliers did not turn up results either. Good luck!

Try www.flashclinic.com - you should call them since the site is particularly cute but uninformative. If I recall correctly, they do extensive customizations of flash units, and have been recommended by people who use them. If anyone might be able to help you, they'd be the place to start looking.

C

Drew Wiley
8-Dec-2008, 10:28
An outfit which specializes in exotic and imported graphic bulbs is Universal Light Source in San Francisco. I haven't dealt with them for a long time, but it looks like
they're still in business. They were very helpful when I was renovating high output
enlargers myself.

Renato Tonelli
8-Dec-2008, 21:51
I've not heard of such an enlarger, but from your photo, I see why we are having global warming... :)

Good luck.

Mike

And what a beautiful beast it is!

ic-racer
8-Dec-2008, 22:58
I am curious Marc. I have a Beseler enlarger with the Minolta 45A head that uses 7 zenon flash tubes.

Are they like any of these in the link below? That FT-218 fit my EG&G sensitometer perfectly. They are all reasonably priced.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?N=254257&Keyword=flash&FS=True

picturetraveler
11-Dec-2008, 14:25
I am moving he enlarger next week friday...By the way the enlager is named Balthasar...comes from the academy I studied and it comes with a spare bulb as it extremely expensive ... about 5000 euros.... but I believe
the Lightsource is a special U shape bulbe... but will post some pictures as It's sitting in my darkroom.

It works with a sort of curve systhem by Agfa and additive colour mixing systhem.

Will keep you posted

Greetings
marc