PDA

View Full Version : Book on Environmental Portrait Technique

Carlos Co
17-Mar-1999, 18:27
Is there a good book with inspiring creative examples that focuses on techniques for applying LF movements in posed environmental portraiture. Essentially, I'm looking for another book that is similar to "Using the View Camera" by Steve Si mmons, but with different examples. I've read somewhere that LF is not really s uitable for environmental portraiture, but I don't believe that.

Ellis Vener
17-Mar-1999, 20:36
I can't think of any book that focuses on the techniques of using an LF for envi romental portraiture, but virtually any thing by Arnold Newman is worth owning, as is "Portraits / Mary Ellen Mark ", Smithsonian Institution Press, ISBN 1-56098-720-0.

Richard Fish
17-Mar-1999, 22:01
Any of Yousef Karsh's books of portraits will clearly and elegantly demonstrate how he worked [usually on location] with a subject's environment. He worked some with 4x5, but mostly with 8x10, and he used strobes. All of his lenses were Ektars - sharp, but not the unrelenting sharpness of today's multicoated glass.

richard w
22-Mar-1999, 23:06
Just for images: check out Albert Watsons books. The square pics are 2/14 but the rectangles are 4x5 RW