PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Tripod Head for 4x5?

AutumnJazz
6-Dec-2008, 22:53
I'll be jumping into LF soon (late December!), and all I that I have not really decided on is a tripod head (and darkcloth, but a good one should be easy to find). I have a tripod head now, but it is puny and not even recommended for use with MF.

Quick-release would be awesome, but not required...Although I'll probably go for a QR in the end. I know brand loyalty is stupid, but I've never had a bad Bogen/Manfrotto product.

So, can anyone recommend anything for me? I would really only consider a ball-head or a geared head (which seem expensive). I'll be using a Gandolfi Variant 4x5".

Thank you guys!

Vaughn
6-Dec-2008, 23:29
For small cameras like 4x5's, I do like ballheads -- I used a Gitzo #2 Ballhead with both a Gowland PocketView (very light) and a Deardorf Special clone (set up for 5x7), and it worked very well with both. But this was 15 years ago, and there seems to be even better on the market now. Ballheads seem to be one of those types of equipment that people either like or hate.

Photo Clams on Kerry's site http://reallybigcameras.com/ look pretty nice, but I have not handled one. But for about $200, you can get one that handles about 10 times the weight of your camera, yet weighs less than a pound (w/ QR).

I have used an older Bogen Ballhead for 4x5, I had bought it for student use -- it was difficult to use and I have mothballed it. The latest ones are quite different, but are over twice the weight as the Photo Clams.

Good luck in your search! There are some other excellent ballheads out there, but they get pretty pricey!

Vaughn

AutumnJazz
6-Dec-2008, 23:32
I have a ball-head right now, and I like it. But it just isn't strong enough for 4x5.

Alan Davenport
6-Dec-2008, 23:44
I'm not sold on ballheads for LF, not even for 4x5. They just seem too difficult to get everthing lined up in all directions and keep it there when you lock it down.

Best of all, IMO, is a geared head like the Manfrotto 410. That may be the best head around for 4x5. A friend has one, but he develops a strange temporary deafness whenever I suggest he give it to me.

Personally, I'm still using a Bogen 3030, which is pretty good for 4x5. It isn't as precise as a geared head, but at least I can adjust it in one axis without having everything else change at the same time. The 3030 uses the smaller rectangular QR plates, which may seem small but they work fine with both my field camera and with a 12 lb monorail.

weasel
7-Dec-2008, 06:44
Bogen 4047 if you don't mind a little weight. You should be able to find one cheap.

eddie
7-Dec-2008, 08:04
i use a bogen 3047. they are very cheap most of the time. i got a 3021 tripod and the 3047 head with plate for less than $100. keep your eyes out. i perfect setup IMO.

Peter De Smidt
7-Dec-2008, 08:14
Bogen 410, as long as your camera is fairly light. If you want a ball head, check out Photo Clam ball heads that Kerry at Really Big Cameras has listed on the resources section of this site.

Otherwise, you can get used heads very reasonably. For large field cameras, for example, I use a Gitzo rational series 5 head from about 1970. It works great. I prefer a pan/tilt head without huge honk'n handles that get caught on everything.

Frank Petronio
7-Dec-2008, 08:15
They really named their ballheads "Photo-Clam"? OMG that's great

AutumnJazz
7-Dec-2008, 09:53
Photo Clam is the brand. They also make a geared head.

I already have an amazing tripod...the 4-section carbon fiber one. It weighs less than my 35mm camera!

walter23
7-Dec-2008, 11:30
I use something like this as well. Mine has slightly different handles and a rectangular plate instead of a hex plate, but same idea. Simple, not too expensive ($75 or so in CAD), relatively sturdy:
http://shop.haroldsphoto.com/images/products/tri_mono_pods/3047.jpg

Maris Rusis
7-Dec-2008, 15:40
The cheapest and strongest tripod head is no tripod head at all. Just screw the camera to top of the tripod legs where the tripod head would go if you had one.

Properly set up the camera should be level fore and aft and side to side. This "orthogonal" position is the basic one from which you can depart by using camera movements to achieve the framing you need. If the only movements you use are rise, fall, and shift plus front swing and tilt you never introduce converging line "distortions".

A lot of photography has been done over the last 160 years without a tripod head in sight.

AutumnJazz
7-Dec-2008, 15:44
Yes, but tripod heads make it much, much easier. I would rather spend some money to get a tripod head than not go out photographing because I don't want to deal with the hassle.

Paul Kierstead
7-Dec-2008, 19:56
Shooting LF is not like shooting an SLR. For example, you will often (though not always) use no tilt up or down at all (movements are used instead). Often as not, I just level my camera and only use the pan control; in effect, I could probably get away with a panning levelling head along (cause leveling a tripod can be a royal pain). Ball heads are used a lot less often in LF for a reason, though some still like them. Many like heads with independent axis adjustment. You probably want to make sure you don't invest too much until you get a feel for it; it really is a different shooting style.

AutumnJazz
7-Dec-2008, 19:59
I really know it is, I've used view cameras before. I just don't want to spend my time getting the legs just right, instead of shooting. :P

z_photo
8-Dec-2008, 06:40
i use a 4047 with a Kirk plate that fits the hex fitting of the head but has a quick release plate rather than just the mounting screw up top

Toyon
8-Dec-2008, 06:45
Manfrotto makes a heavy-duty panhead w/quick release that is reasonable and very solid. It has a nice big quick release plate. www.Bhphotovideo.com catalog number :BO808RC4

Kevin Crisp
8-Dec-2008, 06:45
The 3047 isn't the lightest in the world, but it is inexpensive and solid. With the Bogen hex plates you have to make sure the camera is seated before taking your hand off it. It can "click" and if the camera plate isn't down in the right position not be attached.

Emmanuel BIGLER
8-Dec-2008, 07:04
Hello from Gitzo-land !
I use a Gitzo rational series 5 head from about 1970.

If the budget is an issue, and if ballhead do not answer the question, I definitely place a second vote for a used Gitzo 3-way head, named in the past "Tęte Rationnelle".
I don't know why and when Gitzo abandoned the "rationnelle" name.. ;-) may be at some point they discovered that photography, and LF photography above all, had become something totally irrational ;)
A #3 head is OK for a 4x5 camera, a #5 will support a 8x10" camera as well.
But, agreed, here in France used Gitzo tripods & heads are easy to find... and can be serviced easily.

Ken Lee
8-Dec-2008, 07:47
I love the Manfrotto 3275 410 tripod head. It lets you make geared fine adjustments in 3 directions, independently.

It's small, light, and strong. It's a treat to make adjustments this way: there is no drift.

As the photo shows, it has a nice quick-release plate too.

http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/tech/head.jpg

D. Bryant
8-Dec-2008, 07:59
The cheapest and strongest tripod head is no tripod head at all. Just screw the camera to top of the tripod legs where the tripod head would go if you had one.

Properly set up the camera should be level fore and aft and side to side. This "orthogonal" position is the basic one from which you can depart by using camera movements to achieve the framing you need. If the only movements you use are rise, fall, and shift plus front swing and tilt you never introduce converging line "distortions".

A lot of photography has been done over the last 160 years without a tripod head in sight.
Now I'm wondering why tripod heads for view cameras were ever invented.

Perhaps to allow photographers shoot straight up or down.

Don Bryant

Ken Lee
8-Dec-2008, 14:43
That only works if the ground is level where you want to place the camera. If not, you have to fiddle with the tripod legs ad nauseum.

AutumnJazz
8-Dec-2008, 14:59
The 410 is only $128 + shipping on ebay, so I think that I'll go with it when I get my outfit.

Thanks guys!

Paul Kierstead
8-Dec-2008, 15:42
That only works if the ground is level where you want to place the camera. If not, you have to fiddle with the tripod legs ad nauseum.

I recently added a leveling head on mine. For the field camera, it works great. I place the tripod, level the head, then use the head (a 410 in my case). The 3-axis works really well in this case. The leveling head doesn't weight much. I am using the Acratech Leveling Base (http://acratech.net/home.php?cat=2). It isn't perfect; for example, using a monorail tipped heavily forward, the base doesn't really have the holding power. The monorail puts the weight up quite high and when pitched forward, puts the weight way in front of the head, straining any system. However, I have found the base to be great with a field camera, particularly in a more level orientation. It sure saves fiddling with a tripod, real nice this time of year.

Vaughn
8-Dec-2008, 15:55
Now I'm wondering why tripod heads for view cameras were ever invented. Perhaps to allow photographers shoot straight up or down. Don Bryant

If I lived somewhere that is always flat (most of Australia, central USA and Florida come to mind ;) ), I could probably live without a tripod head...or if I did nothing but studio portraits. But I live in the western USA...I often tilt the camera up or down far beyond what rise or fall could handle!

Vaughn

D. Bryant
8-Dec-2008, 18:51
If I lived somewhere that is always flat (most of Australia, central USA and Florida come to mind ;) ), I could probably live without a tripod head...or if I did nothing but studio portraits. But I live in the western USA...I often tilt the camera up or down far beyond what rise or fall could handle!

Vaughn

I can't understand why someone wouldn't want to use a tripod head of ones preference. Bolting it straight on to the tripod seems really weird to me.

Seriously there have been a few times when making interior shots of lighthouses and other structures that I've had to lay on my back ( or crouch under the camera) to focus and compose with a view camera, not to mention situations that you suggest.

To each their own, eh?

Don Bryant

Louis Pacilla
9-Dec-2008, 09:10
Bogen 4047 if you don't mind a little weight. You should be able to find one cheap.

Can't beat the 3047 bogen head for strength / price (around $15-45 used on the auction site). I reserve the use of a ball head only for the lightest 4x5 rig I use .

Most of time when using large heavy cameras ( rail / 5x7 & up), having the tilt & pan separated is the best bet IMO.

Peace
Louis P.:)

Vaughn
9-Dec-2008, 11:00
Louis, many, if not most, ball heads these day seem to have a separate pan control. The 3047 is a workhorse.

Vaughn

ki6mf
23-Dec-2008, 10:05
While its not inexpensive I personally have started using a pan and tilt head for large format. I still use the ball head for Digital however found that perspective control works better with pan and tilt. I use the Bogen/Manfrotto 229. (the model number seems to keep changing at the retail stores on this) It will cost around $200. Not inexpensive I know!

sczin
23-Dec-2008, 10:25
I've been using the Benro for 2 yrs with my Wista SP field camera. Been very satisfied with it's performance and it also holds up well from beating it take on the outside of my backpack.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/498020-REG/Benro_450_622_KS_1_Ballhead_with_Quick.html

I bought mine on ebay and save a fews $s

good luck!

Steve

Carsten Wolff
23-Dec-2008, 21:37
Drifting a bit here:
I wonder if there isn't such a thing as having a solid ball as part of the tripod's crown - with a center column going through it if needed (I don't), (which would be difficult to make anyway (limited freedom of movement and weight/tightening issues))? - Or without having any column anyway...? sounds like the lightest and most stable idea to me.....
Then e.g. the screw that normally tightens the center column, instead pushes a ring that tightens the ball.
Put a little groove into the horizontal circumference )(=equator) of the ball and hey presto....click-stop zero levelling, too.

AutumnJazz
23-Dec-2008, 23:04
I've been thinking, because of movements, why do I need anything more than a leveling head? Maybe I'm just so tired my thinking is impeded.

Turner Reich
23-Dec-2008, 23:47
I second the 3047.

magicman
25-Dec-2008, 16:28
the manfrotto/bogen 410 is nice, but my 4x5 sinar is to heavy for it.
so i just upgrade to the manfrotto/bogen 229 which is absolutly rockstable!

Anthony Lewis
26-Dec-2008, 01:01
For backpacking I have been using a Novaflex panoramic plate (it has a bubble level) on Gitzo legs. (I have a Toho camera). This works perfectly for most shots - its small, cheap, very light weight, and perfectly steady.

However I have not solved the tilt problem. Using the tripod legs is not the answer to me - the panning plate will no longer be level. For years I have been searching for a tilt-only head that I can fit between the panning plate and the camera for when I need to tilt. I have thought of cutting down a video pan/tilt head but have not found one that is appropriate.

Has anyone got any suggestions for a tilt-only head, that is light and strong, that I can keep in my backpack and only use when necessary? If a suitable tilt only head can be found then I think this is a good system for any 4x5 landscape photography.

PenGun
26-Dec-2008, 01:47
the manfrotto/bogen 410 is nice, but my 4x5 sinar is to heavy for it.
so i just upgrade to the manfrotto/bogen 229 which is absolutly rockstable!

I must agree. They are confidence inspiring but not at all light.

Really Big Cameras
26-Dec-2008, 01:49
Has anyone got any suggestions for a tilt-only head, that is light and strong, that I can keep in my backpack and only use when necessary? If a suitable tilt only head can be found then I think this is a good system for any 4x5 landscape photography.

What about something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554096-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_234_234_Swivel_Tilt_Monopod.html

Or, the super deluxe version:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/tripods/04.html

Kerry Thalmann
Really Big Cameras
(http://reallybigcameras.com)

neil poulsen
26-Dec-2008, 09:48
The 229 is an upgrade to the 3047, so they have similar characteristics. I had the latter, and when I could no longer tighten it, I upgraded. The 229 is the best head I've owned. The 3047 is good, but it can't handle as heavy a camera.

If you buy used, check out a 3047 before you purchase, or consider a return policy. Make sure that it'll stay tight with the camera on the head.

Anthony Lewis
26-Dec-2008, 11:49
Kerry,

I was aware of the Bogen 234, but that looks too small and light for LF and has very little longitudinal support the way a camera needs it.

However the Really Right Stuff mono head looks perfect for my needs - and I've been looking for years - this is the beauty of forums! It looks strong and steady and only weighs 250g. I will look closely at this product.

My tripod head will consist of too parts, any panning plate with a bubble level for 90% of my needs, and a mono tilt head - possibly the RRS - that will be kept in the backpack for when I need it.

Really Big Cameras
26-Dec-2008, 12:01
Kerry,

I was aware of the Bogen 234, but that looks too small and light for LF and has very little longitudinal support the way a camera needs it.

However the Really Right Stuff mono head looks perfect for my needs - and I've been looking for years - this is the beauty of forums! It looks strong and steady and only weighs 250g. I will look closely at this product.

My tripod head will consist of too parts, any panning plate with a bubble level for 90% of my needs, and a mono tilt head - possibly the RRS - that will be kept in the backpack for when I need it.

I haven't tried the Bogen/Manfrotto 234, but the Toho is so darn light I'm tempted to give it a try. I know 35mm/digital shooters who use the 234 with some fairly heavy glass.

The base of the the RRS MH-01 is design to be compatible with a QR clamp. So, if you have a QR clamp on your panning base, you can quickly and easily mount/dismount the MH-01 as needed.

Kerry Thalmann
Really Big Cameras (http://reallybigcameras.com)

cjbroadbent
26-Dec-2008, 13:18
I never bother to use anything other than a pan plate on top of a leveling video tripod.

Laurent
15-Jan-2009, 06:57
Drifting a bit here:
I wonder if there isn't such a thing as having a solid ball as part of the tripod's crown - with a center column going through it if needed (I don't), (which would be difficult to make anyway (limited freedom of movement and weight/tightening issues))? - Or without having any column anyway...? sounds like the lightest and most stable idea to me.....
Then e.g. the screw that normally tightens the center column, instead pushes a ring that tightens the ball.
Put a little groove into the horizontal circumference )(=equator) of the ball and hey presto....click-stop zero levelling, too.

I'm using a Berlebach wooden tripod with an integrated leveling ball. I've added a small Manfrotto pan-head and a very happy with it. As you suggest, the only drawback is the limitation in movements (I can't shoot straight up or down with my rig). They also make tripods with the same levelling ball AND a column, but I found the column to be more hassle than help.

Bob Salomon
15-Jan-2009, 12:08

Linhof Large Leveling Head. It has one lever and it tilts 15° in all directions. It adds what a leveling centerpost does to any tripod.

Photojeep
22-Jan-2009, 22:29
I use a Berleback (sp?) and got an Indura ball head. I actually use this for my Tachihara 8x10 but it sure fits my 4x5 Sinar or Wisner very well! The Induro brand is very well made and VERY inexpensive.

rb

Steve M Hostetter
23-Jan-2009, 09:55
I use the cheapest ballhead made by Bogen for an 8x10" Korona this ballhead doesn't work unless I balance the camera over the center ... It will creep..
This ballhead is the only head I have with a quick release and I need that option for the non folding design of the Korona.. I never hike with this cam head combo.. I only use this as a fast means to photograph from my vehilcle and I wouldn't concider using this combo in anyother situation... That's not to say that a ballhead is a bad thing in general ,,, a decent size ballhead will not creep unless your camers is cantalevered to excess. I'd get one rated for at least a 4x5 If I were to use one on a regular basis..! Don't make the mistake of getting one without a quick release... you'll regret it
Pan tilt heads always jab me in the neck with their long levers when hiking and slow to manuver..
Now lets say you bought a rail camera and that was a Sinar,,, then you could use the Sinar clamp head.. Sinar being a rail camera is always balanced over the center

Steve M Hostetter
23-Jan-2009, 20:01
PS... Slik makes a good ballhead I believe I gave 125.00 new for mine .. The top part turns as you tighten the screw into camera.. I'd find one at allows the small profile quick shoe especially with your camera set-up.. The slik head is aprox 2 -3 lbs

sultanofcognac
25-Jan-2009, 03:33
I use a Berlebach 9043 with an Arca Swiss Z1 ball head for my 4x5 but am considering a Ries for the 8 x 10. . . anyone use a Ries J 250 head?

Roger Thoms
25-Jan-2009, 09:35
I love the Manfrotto 3275 410 tripod head. It lets you make geared fine adjustments in 3 directions, independently.

It's small, light, and strong. It's a treat to make adjustments this way: there is no drift.

As the photo shows, it has a nice quick-release plate too.

http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/tech/head.jpg

I also use the 410 geared head for 4x5. I'm very pleased with it, and can make very fine adjustments with ease.

Roger

Jim Michael
27-Jan-2009, 16:44
You might also take a look in your local photo shop. You might find the large heads drastically marked down now the "everyone" has gone digital. ;)