PDA

View Full Version : Schneider super symmar XL 210mm lens

Ryan Kim
6-Dec-2008, 07:44
Hi,
I am Ryan from Korea, and I am very new to large format photography.
I chose Canham 4x10 camera with 5x7 back and Schneider super symmar xl 210mm lens. I chose this lens just because friends that made me comming into this large format photography have told me this lens is one of the best lens I could find for 4x10 and 5x7 camera. However none of them have used it because it is very hard to find both new and used one here in Korea
Somehow I found this lens(new) and bought it(I had to sell my Hasselblad903swc).
I realized that there is no UV filter for this lens (size 135mm filter). Schneider only sells center filter for this lens maybe because everyone is using this lens with 8x10 camera. Center filter for this lens is very expensive and I heard I do not need it for my 5x7 and 4x10 camera(right?).
Can anyone give me an advice what I should do with this lens?

1. make an up-ring and use it with 121mm UV filter(largest UV filter BW provides)
2. just get a center filter
3. use different lens (ex. schneider super symmar HM 210mm)

I also have a doubt that my body(wood field camera) could hold this heavy lens..

Don Hutton
6-Dec-2008, 07:52
For the formats you mention, I'd get a 210 Rodenstock Sironar S or a 210 Schneider Apo Symmar-L - plenty of image circle, extremely sharp and contrasty and much more managable than the 210XL. I owned a 210XL for a couple of years. Never bothered with it on 8x10 as there are other options which are much smaller, have less fall-off, are equally sharp and are more managable in the field. I used it a bit on 11x14, and even then, it used to be a "run back to the car lens" for me...

Nick_3536
6-Dec-2008, 08:02
A Fuji-W 1st series 210mm has more then enough coverage for 4x10 and likely would cost you less then the centre filter for the Xl.

Ryan Kim
6-Dec-2008, 08:05
Yes, now that I know that there are many good lenses.
However, I already bought a new one, and I will lose a lot if I sell it now.
I think I should use it for some time but the filter problem is concerning me.

Ron Marshall
6-Dec-2008, 08:40

I only use a UV filter on LF lenses when I am shooting near ocean spray. I often use colored filters with b/w and don't want to stack filters.

Ralph Barker
6-Dec-2008, 08:44
You might try contacting Schneider directly to determine what a special-order 135mm filter would cost. While there are certainly more convenient lenses within that focal length range, it seems a shame to give up on it. I'd think that most photons would jump at the chance to pass through a 210mm SS XL, just for bragging rights with their pals. ;)

I use the comparatively petite 150mm SS XL on my 8x10, but will admit that I use my (tiny by comparison) 240mm G-Claron more often.

Arne Croell
6-Dec-2008, 09:28
If you want to use the UV filter for eliminating UV, not for front lens protection (UV filters as lens protectors are not so common in LF photography), you can always use a 72mm filter in the back thread; the same goes for any other filters except the center filter. A polarizer in the back thread is possible but inconvenient. However, you always have to focus with the filter in place in that configuration.

Raph
6-Dec-2008, 09:49
Hi Ryan,

you can contact SKGrimes, he made on a few years ago
http://www.skgrimes.com/thisweek/10-01-04/index.htm

Regards
raph

Eric Leppanen
6-Dec-2008, 10:26
You can also have a 135-to-138mm step-up ring custom made (by SK Grimes or some other machine shop) and use a 138mm UV filter.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/399056-REG/Schneider_68124138_Series_9_Clear_Ultraviolet.html#features
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/397621-REG/Formatt_BF_138_UVHAZ2A_138mm_Ultraviolet_UV_Haze.html#features

Tiffen also makes a variety of 138mm UV filters.

Brian Vuillemenot
6-Dec-2008, 13:41
The SS-XL 210 is WAY overkill for 5X7 or 4X10. It's a killer lens, and you really can't beat the quality, but it is so big and I'm guessing set you back quite a bit of cash. I would sell the lens, and pick up a quality used 210 plasmat. There are numerous choices, such as Apo-Sironar-S, Apo-Sironar-N, Apo-Symmar, Fuji, Nikkor, etc. I use a Caltar-II-N for 4X10. I got it on E-Bay for the meager sum of $200, and it's tied for my sharpest lens (with the 150 Apo-Sironar-S). Caltar-II-N is the same lens as a Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-N, for a fraction of the price. I'm guessing you could get one used for less than half of what you'd pay for the center filter for the SS-XL.

Unless your camera is made of titanium, the big SS-XL is not going to be nearly as stable on it than a smaller 210 plasmat.

Ryan Kim
6-Dec-2008, 14:51
Thank you everyone for your advice~~
I might try to sell or change with other lenses..

Thank you again

Steve M Hostetter
6-Dec-2008, 15:14
4" square filters will cover the glass area of the 210 SS XL I believe

Tim Povlick
6-Dec-2008, 15:22

Dear Mr. Kim,

Do not worry, you have a very good lens. Keep it forever. I have this same lens on 8x10 Canham wood camera. The lens is sharp; I have made several tests with high resolution charts and landscape photos. It is a keeper. I also have the Schneider 210 Apo and it's a very fine lens but I use it for 4x5.

I talked direct to Schneider Germany and they said we do not need the center filter. So far I agree with them, I see no need on 8x10. Your 4x10 will be fine.

I too was worried about the weight of the lens but Ketih Canham said the 8x10 wood camera would hold an XXL, which is heavier. So I think you will be fine. On my Canham the lens is not a problem. The two make a terrific combination,

For the UV filter you could step down to the smaller one I would think. You will give up some lens shift but you probably have enough. You can try a piece of cardboard cut to filter size to see. An alternative is to get a 138mm filter and step up ring. The problem is you can't use that nice metal cover the lens comes with.

Have Fun,

Tim

Don Hutton
6-Dec-2008, 15:41
4" square filters will cover the glass area of the 210 SS XL I believeNot even close - apart from the fact that no-one makes a 135mm adapter for 100mm square filters (for obvious reasons).

Steve M Hostetter
6-Dec-2008, 16:51
Not even close - apart from the fact that no-one makes a 135mm adapter for 100mm square filters (for obvious reasons).

I don't know Don, I used the 4" Klausserman Polarizer in the 5" filter holder many times with the 210mm 5.6 SS XL never had any problems...

PS... I still have those 5" filters for sale, one is a skylight but not sure how that would = UV

Don Hutton
7-Dec-2008, 10:02
I don't know Don, I used the 4" Klausserman Polarizer in the 5" filter holder many times with the 210mm 5.6 SS XL never had any problems... I have no idea what a Klausserman Polarizer is - never even heard of one.

Arne Croell
7-Dec-2008, 11:18
I have no idea what a Klausserman Polarizer is - never even heard of one.
never heard that one, either. Maybe he means "Käsemann"?

Steve M Hostetter
7-Dec-2008, 11:53
Sorry my fault,,, It's a Sinar LP and it's 4 1/4" accross,

Steve M Hostetter
7-Dec-2008, 12:08
in regards to wheather or not your camera will hold such a large lens,, I believe I seen a photo of Avedon with a 210mm Super Angulon f8 mounted to a Deardorf
The 210mm SA has a much larger rear element then does the SS