PDA

View Full Version : Oil on aperture blades

hmf
6-Dec-2008, 07:04
I just received a used lens on approval (a Fujinon 250W f6.7 in a chrome ring Copal 1 shutter, FWIW) and noticed a light coating of oil on much of the aperture blades. They move smoothly, and the shutter blades are clean and dry. I've never noticed this on any other lens I've owned or used.

Is it a problem, or likely to create one?

Thanks for your help.
Henry

Bob Salomon
6-Dec-2008, 08:13
Oil should never be used on shutter blades. It adds weight to the blades, will effect correct speeds and will attract foreign matter over time that will gum up the blades.

Get the lens to a professional repair shop and have a proper CLA done to the shutter before you have problems.

hmf
6-Dec-2008, 08:17
Bob -

The oil is on the iris blades only. The shutter blades are dry and clean.

Thanks.
HMF

eric black
6-Dec-2008, 08:21
agree with the CLA or a return- not only can it attract dirt and be problematic later but depending on the oil used can increase in viscosity at lower temperatures and start making things stick together.

ic-racer
6-Dec-2008, 09:29
I had one bad experience with a lens that had oil on the iris blades. While using the lens in the cold the aperture ring became very stiff and I forced it (I was only 13 at the tiime) and the aperture blades came apart.

neil poulsen
6-Dec-2008, 10:01
Makes one wonder if maybe the iris blades weren't working that well, or something wasn't working. So, a previous owner added a little oil to the blades.

S.K.Grimes would do a good job cleaning and adjusting the entire lens works. Might as well go the whole distance, especially since the lens is new to you. Would cost around $125 or so.

Nice image circle on that lens that will cover 8x10 with movement.

BrianShaw
6-Dec-2008, 10:33
Bob -

The oil is on the iris blades only. The shutter blades are dry and clean.

Thanks.
HMF

Bob was being just a tad too specific. His point is the same, though, with regard to aperture blades. Aperture blades should be dry and clean. Oil implies improper service by an unknowledgable person.

hmf
6-Dec-2008, 10:46
Makes one wonder if maybe the iris blades weren't working that well, or something wasn't working. So, a previous owner added a little oil to the blades.

S.K.Grimes would do a good job cleaning and adjusting the entire lens works. Might as well go the whole distance, especially since the lens is new to you. Would cost around $125 or so.

Nice image circle on that lens that will cover 8x10 with movement.

The coverage for 8X10 was the reason for that lens; I've been honing my contact printing skills on 5X7, but hope to move to a bigger negative in the not-too-distant future.

Thanks to all for the advice. I will contact the seller about the shutter on Monday.

Henry Friedman

Glenn Thoreson
7-Dec-2008, 17:13
The oil in the shutter will migrate. That's usually where it comes from when you see it on the blades. It may not be on the shutter blades now, at least where you can see it, but it will be. I can guarrantee that. One major cause of oil migration is from leaving the lens/shutter in a very hot environment. Closed up cars and the like in summer is very bad for lenses and shutters.