PDA

View Full Version : Nicola Perscheid. 2 portraits and a still life

Jim Galli
4-Dec-2008, 16:04
These are done with the 11X14 #8 Century Studio Camera.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/NicolaP/258Ives_1114.jpg
258 Ives

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/NicolaP/JDunn.jpg
j dunn

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/NicolaP/Self.jpg
self

OK, I'm not crazy about the portraits either. Could very well be subject matter. Neither me or my friend and neighbor is expecting Hollywood to call any time soon. Still I'm uneasy with them. Not sure why. I like the still life very much, but again most folks aren't responding to the antique toys series very much.

At the least you've some examples done with the Nicola Perscheid wide open. It is not nearly so soft as the Pinkham Series IV. Somewhere between a Cooke Knuckler and a Pinkham. Maybe the perfect place at that for some.

Toyon
4-Dec-2008, 18:16
Why not have a photo conclave. Invite 8 or so photographers to try out the various amazing lenses you have. Meet at an agreed upon location and see what develops. I'll bet you all would learn a lot from the experience.

Jim Galli
4-Dec-2008, 18:27
Why not have a photo conclave. Invite 8 or so photographers to try out the various amazing lenses you have. Meet at an agreed upon location and see what develops. I'll bet you all would learn a lot from the experience.

It's been talked about. Last time we thought about it, gas was $4.65 a gallon. We didn't realize those were the good old days. :(

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
4-Dec-2008, 22:36
Looks very much like the Eidoscope. Any feelings about that?

Greg Lockrey
4-Dec-2008, 23:24
It's been talked about. Last time we thought about it, gas was $4.65 a gallon. We didn't realize those were the good old days. :(

What??? You don't like $1.50? :confused:

Jim Galli
4-Dec-2008, 23:39
Looks very much like the Eidoscope. Any feelings about that?

Yes. Same design and general look. It will be fun to compare them side by side. My #2 Eidoscop is very close in focal length too so depth will be very similar between the 2. The Eidoscop is very near the top of my favorites list. It will be hard for the Perscheid to compete with it. It just has the most fantastic contrast characteristic.

What??? You don't like $1.50? :confused:

I love the buck eighty five gas, it's the rest of the news we didn't know before that has me worried. Ignorance was bliss.

Ross Chambers
5-Dec-2008, 00:22
"most folks aren't responding to the antique toys series very much. "

I'm always interested, maybe they should be one of the tools in the box, used where they enhance.

FWIW I did buy a soft focus lens for my RB 67 after looking at several of Jim's results (antique LF lenses aren't so common around here) and I can see what is appealing about these aberrative lenses.

Your results have had a formative influence on my "less than perfect can be very good" point of view.

I'm still working on subjects which work well with this lens.

We DO take notice, Jim, thanks for your work.

Regards - Ross

Greg Lockrey
5-Dec-2008, 02:36
I love the buck eighty five gas, it's the rest of the news we didn't know before that has me worried. Ignorance was bliss.

I know what you mean, but I've been beaten up so much this past year with my wife's health care issues anyway, the rest is rather anticlimactic. (At least my van is paid for and it has a "head" in it. ;) ;) )

jb7
5-Dec-2008, 03:11
I do like the toys pictures too-
especially that latest one-

j

ljsegil
5-Dec-2008, 04:49
A get together sure could be fun, educational, and perhaps even innovative; you never know when a critical mass of dedicated goofs could go kaflooey and what might result from the reaction produced.
I only wish I could be sure to get the time, unlikely that but I can always hope.
LJS

Emil Schildt
15-Dec-2008, 08:56
I have an idea: You all come here and visit me in Denmark!!
bring your lenses, and I'll buy a cup of coffee....;)

(as you know, Jim, I hate the idea that you have all the fun lenses..... I WANT SOME TOO!!!)

Jim Galli
12-Jan-2009, 20:52
Did you guys all find and drool over the 21cm Perscheid (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270326597500&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBUAA:US:1123) that just finished up on Ebay tonight? I was in at $1107.76 (about $800 more than I have in my account just now but that's another story) a virtual fart in a whirlwind. So, who got it? I think it's foul that EvilBay won't let us know anymore. grrrrr. I met a lot of nice people by contacting folks who were regular winners.

Mark Sawyer
12-Jan-2009, 22:15
I met a lot of nice people by contacting folks who were regular winners.

Personally, I was a regular loser...

Yup, on this one too...

Thank God. Last thing I need is another lens I don't have the time to use.

Jim Galli
12-Jan-2009, 22:22
Personally, I was a regular loser...

Yup, on this one too...

Thank God. Last thing I need is another lens I don't have the time to use.

Glad I met you anyways. The Perscheid' reputation is well deserved. More subtle then many and very beautiful. But like you say, I need to quit my real job and just play with old lenses full time. This weekend was the Plasticca's turn. Some excellent negs. I'll do some scans tomorrow and maybe build a page.

Mark Sawyer
12-Jan-2009, 23:12
Well, Jim, here's to Alvin Langdon Coburn and F. Holland Day, and I hope some day we meet each other at the bottom of a decent bottle of single malt scotch, so we can comiserate on the one that got away...

Thank God these old lenses don't wear fishnet stockings, or we'd really be in trouble...

Jim Galli
12-Jan-2009, 23:37
Thank God these old lenses don't wear fishnet stockings, or we'd really be in trouble...

Oh Yeah! This is way cheaper.