PDA

View Full Version : Graflex Century

tom thomas
3-Dec-2008, 18:35
I saw a Graflex Century 6X7 in a local camera store today for sale at $300. Has a Wollensak F6.5 103mm lens and looks shiny, clean and almost new. When I queried whether it is functionally OK, the clerk replied that "we" wouldn't sell it if it didnt work. Would this be a good price for one?

I'd seen a dusty Super Graflex with loads of accessories at an antique mall in Ohio last week for $199. Should I kick myself for not getting it. Wife said it wouldn't fit in our suitcase and extra baggage really costs now on airlines.

Tom Thomas

Glenn Thoreson
3-Dec-2008, 18:46
The price for the Century Graphic is on the high side. They have been commanding pretty high prices lately, though. If you can get a warranty, it would be more appealing. Does it have a 120 roll holder? A ground glass focus panel? Bellows flexible and light tight? The Super Graphic 4X5, if dusty and obviously long unused. may be on the high side, too. Without being able to actually see and handle the cameras, it's very hard to tell.

tom thomas
3-Dec-2008, 18:51
Thanx for your reply Glenn.

I didn't have time to check out the camera which was locked up in a glass case. It just caught my eye as a real cosmetic beauty so I asked the price and basic details about the lens.

The Super Graflex did look like Clark Kent had used it quite a bit but it was also locked in a glass cage so couldn't inspect it either. But overal, glad I passed it up from what you say as probably would have needed quite a bit of restoral.

Tom Thomas