PDA

View Full Version : NYC outing??

Flexnib
3-Dec-2008, 11:52
Hello All,
It has been a while. Any one interested in getting in the near future? I am open to almost any weekend and any location.

Arthur

Brian_A
3-Dec-2008, 12:19
With planning far enough out I'm game to drive up to the city.

-Brian

MenacingTourist
3-Dec-2008, 12:59
I was thinking the same thing. Very cold weather always makes me think of shooting in Central Park. Good Times.
I'm game to go as well. Let's start planning...

Alan.

arkady n.
3-Dec-2008, 13:11
Very cold weather always makes me think of staying home : )

How about going to DUMBO? Cobble stone streets, view of the bridges. As cheesy and on-the-beaten-path as Central Park.

Flexnib
3-Dec-2008, 15:24
How about either
Dec. 13th or 14th
Dec. 20th or 21st
We could do Central Park agian or start on the Manhattan side of the Brooklyn Bridge walk over it and then shoot on the Brooklyn side.
Let me know which ??

Arthur

alec4444
3-Dec-2008, 17:36
I'm game. Central Park is less interesting to me than some architecture stuff. Recently I did the Flatiron Building, and I'd like to go back there (screwed up a shot). The courthouse downtown (Centre Street) could be fun, and the Brooklyn Bridge isn't too far from that. Wall Street might be an interesting option. Ellis Island could be neat if they don't freak out.

--A

Attached Photo: Broadway @ Broome Street, 5x7 Albumen Trial

Toyon
3-Dec-2008, 18:07
I thought that the city banned tripods (except for specified times and places with prior permit? Or are you using Graflexes and Graphics?

eddie
3-Dec-2008, 18:43
I thought that the city banned tripods (except for specified times and places with prior permit? Or are you using Graflexes and Graphics?

you do not need a permit if you are not a "movie crew" type of a pro.

we never had any problems.....

Alex Wei
3-Dec-2008, 19:04
I am in also. Alec's suggestion is very good. Maybe we can hangout a little bit late and shot some night scene also?

Alex W.

Flexnib
3-Dec-2008, 21:29
Great. So we have some good ideas now how about a DATE??
Arthur

Flexnib
3-Dec-2008, 21:31
Also there is no problem with the use of tripods. We have been doing these outings for the past 2 years and we have never had a problem. There is no NYC law against tripods. The only regulation I know of is the length of sidewalk needs to be at least
8ft.

MenacingTourist
4-Dec-2008, 07:12
I'm game to go where ever. New experiences are good experiences. Funny that Alec mentioned the flatiron. I was planning on going myself soon to shoot it.

You people are reading my mind.

Flexnib
4-Dec-2008, 10:01
The Flat Iron sounds good. There are also some really great views of the Empire State from Madison Square Garden Park. We can then easily hop on the R train down to City Hall park and the Brooklyn Bridge.

Renato Tonelli
4-Dec-2008, 12:18
Can I invite myself?

eddie
4-Dec-2008, 13:18
Can I invite myself?

by all means! you are in!

anyone else?

Flexnib
4-Dec-2008, 13:50
The more the better.
Lets start thinking of a date????

Arthur

mcfactor
4-Dec-2008, 16:18
I'm down, ive been reading this forum for a while but never met anyone from it. It depends on the date, though.

Alex Wei
4-Dec-2008, 19:11
About the date, I am OK with 13th and 20th. Sunday could be a problem, it's for NFL.

Alex W.

AFSmithphoto
4-Dec-2008, 19:14
How about either
Dec. 13th or 14th
Dec. 20th or 21st

I would definately be in for the 21st. I MIGHT be able to do 20th or 14th as well if thats the direction of the prevailing wind.

alec4444
4-Dec-2008, 20:30
Hopefully no wind at all....eh? :D

I prefer Saturdays so that I can get over being sore on Sunday. But either way is fine by me. I'd pick the weekend of the 20th over earlier.

--A

Brian_A
4-Dec-2008, 20:35
December is a little early as far as planning goes for me. (Kid + wife with one f'd up schedule..) If you guys get something together in the Jan/Feb timeframe, let me know.

David A. Goldfarb
4-Dec-2008, 20:38
Brian A speaks for me. I'll probably have to sit this one out.

MenacingTourist
5-Dec-2008, 07:06
I'd go in December AND January.
But if it's Dec then let's nail down a date!

Alan.

eddie
5-Dec-2008, 10:17
I'd go in December AND January.
But if it's Dec then let's nail down a date!

Alan.

maybe we should shoot up by me in january! :eek:

Flexnib
5-Dec-2008, 11:31
OK, we have
Alex dec. 20th
Alec dec. 20th
Arthur dec 20th
Eddie and Alan (menacing) does this work for you?
I will also get in touch with Pete and his friend Don.

Pete Roody
5-Dec-2008, 13:14
The 20th is good for me.

AutumnJazz
5-Dec-2008, 14:43
December is cold. :\

I might show up on the 20th, but it depends on whether or not one has to have a LF camera and if I can get into the city.

alec4444
5-Dec-2008, 16:05
December is cold. :\

Oh, right. Almost forgot. I reserve the right to spend the day watching movies instead if the temperature is below 32 F. Thanks for the reminder! :D

Flexnib
5-Dec-2008, 19:25
Great, So it looks like the 20th is the date. How about 8:30-9am in front of the Flat Iron building.
The corner of 23rd and 5th.
There is a dinner right up the block if people want to go for breakfast before or after. Comfort Dinner.
AUTUMNJAZZ feel free to join us regardless of the camera used.

Arthur

AutumnJazz
6-Dec-2008, 00:04
Oh, right. Almost forgot. I reserve the right to spend the day watching movies instead if the temperature is below 32 F. Thanks for the reminder! :D

:P It is just that I really don't like the cold. Spring is only, what, six months away? :P

MenacingTourist
6-Dec-2008, 15:41
Great, So it looks like the 20th is the date. How about 8:30-9am in front of the Flat Iron building.
The corner of 23rd and 5th.
There is a dinner right up the block if people want to go for breakfast before or after. Comfort Dinner.
AUTUMNJAZZ feel free to join us regardless of the camera used.

Arthur

Sweet. I'll be there.

eddie
7-Dec-2008, 07:45
just in time for the holiday rush........

Flexnib
7-Dec-2008, 23:04
What rush. So far the stores have been no busier than a normal sat.

Flexnib
9-Dec-2008, 22:30
SO as of today the list is as follows:
YES:
Arthur
Eddie
Pete
Alec
Alex
Alan
Renato
Autumnjazz- Bring any camera you would like
Maybe:
Arkady
Brian A.
AFsmith photo
My cell # is (removed by request). I will be outside the Flat Iron building on corner of 5th ave and 23rd st. at 8:30 Since i live down the block i will be there on time.

Arthur

AFSmithphoto
10-Dec-2008, 00:30
I'm in for the 20th see you guys there! This is my first group outing so everyone be nice. :-)

AutumnJazz
10-Dec-2008, 01:19
I'm a maybe.

David Richhart
10-Dec-2008, 09:28
Speaking of photographing in New York... Is large format, and are tripods, permitted on the top of the Rockerfeller building??? Great views of the Empire State and the rest of the city.

Alex Wei
10-Dec-2008, 10:32
David, I guess that would require a permit.

alec4444
10-Dec-2008, 13:44
My cell # is (removed) I will be outside the Flat Iron building on corner of 5th ave and 23rd st. at 8:30 Since i live down the block i will be there on time.

Arthur

Arthur, can I send the date/time/contact info to the Northeast LF Mailing List? Been feeling bad about not sending outing info there....

--A

Flexnib
10-Dec-2008, 16:25
Alec,
Please do.
Arthur

MenacingTourist
11-Dec-2008, 12:29
Just checked the 10 day forcast and it's calling for rain. Could be cool to shoot in the clouds or it could be miserable :)

Renato Tonelli
11-Dec-2008, 16:21
Just checked the 10 day forcast and it's calling for rain. Could be cool to shoot in the clouds or it could be miserable :)

It might be a good idea to have a rain date - what do the rest of you think?

Pete Roody
11-Dec-2008, 18:29

It never rains in nyc. :)

Flexnib
11-Dec-2008, 19:38
I think all of our good clean thoughts should be focused on the 20th. I think any thought of a new date should wait until 2-3 days before the 20th. Weather men are never right.

Arthur

AFSmithphoto
11-Dec-2008, 20:05
I can't imagine how a rain date would cause anyone any harm. Personally I'm hoping its cold enough to make that rain into snow. I'm sure that idea horrifies some of you though.

Alex Wei
11-Dec-2008, 23:40
Rain or shine, I am there.

eddie
12-Dec-2008, 04:16
Just checked the 10 day forecast and it's calling for rain. Could be cool to shoot in the clouds or it could be miserable :)

WTF? the weather man is not right the day before! what makes you think he is going to ba able to tell 10 days out?!

NEVER LISTEN TO THE WEATHER MAN! it is the only job you can do wrong consistently and not get fired!

i will be there with alex, rain or shine! i checked my crystal ball. it said no rain and 39 degrees! lets see who is more right the weather idiot or my cloudy ball!

e

MenacingTourist
12-Dec-2008, 07:28
Indeed.
I went to Coney Island for our last rainy get together. I even got a decent shot and the hot dogs weren't bad. I have no issues with rain.

eddie
12-Dec-2008, 08:50
Indeed.
I went to Coney Island for our last rainy get together. I even got a decent shot and the hot dogs weren't bad. I have no issues with rain.

yeah, that REALLY was a rainy day too.........

MenacingTourist
12-Dec-2008, 14:05
I know it's short notice but I'm heading in to shoot the flatiron tomorrow at sunrise. I really want some sunlight shots so I decided to go in, make some shots and then come right back to Jersey. One other person will also be there.

Sunrise is at 7:13am and I'll be pulling into Penn station at 6:35. I'm only shooting the flatiron then I'm going home. If any of you locals want to join us cool. If not then I'll see yous guys next week.

Alan.

alec4444
14-Dec-2008, 17:05
i checked my crystal ball. it said no rain and 39 degrees! lets see who is more right the weather idiot or my cloudy ball!

e

Ok Nostradamus, so why don't ya go post this invite on APUG and f295 then..... :D

--A

(and photo.net.....if you want THOSE kinda people out there...)
kidding of course

eddie
14-Dec-2008, 18:10
Ok Nostradamus, so why don't ya go post this invite on APUG and f295 then..... :D

--A

(and photo.net.....if you want THOSE kinda people out there...)
kidding of course

be careful my 4444 friend....the cloudy ball is talking about you now.......you wanna know what it says? :p

alec4444
14-Dec-2008, 19:03
Anything about bringing back my film holder? Or a free Petzval?

LOL

eddie
14-Dec-2008, 19:14
Anything about bringing back my film holder? Or a free Petzval?

LOL

what film holder?
:rolleyes:

MenacingTourist
15-Dec-2008, 14:35
I had a good time on Saturday morning. A little cold when the wind kicked up but the light was good and I have a lot better idea of where I want to shoot from for next Saturday.

The biggest realization for me is that if I'm going to shoot buildings I would like to use a wide angle lens with a lot more coverage than the one I have now.

Alan.

David A. Goldfarb
15-Dec-2008, 17:04
And in New York, that's often not enough, or it produces a lot of foreshortening unless you can find an elevated vantage point from another building. With the Flatiron, you've got that large median near the intersection and the park to shoot from, but other tall buildings can be hard to shoot from street level.

Flexnib
16-Dec-2008, 10:54
Looking foward to seeing all of you on saturday. I will not comment on the weather until friday.

Arthur

alec4444
17-Dec-2008, 22:23
And in New York, that's often not enough, or it produces a lot of foreshortening unless you can find an elevated vantage point from another building. With the Flatiron, you've got that large median near the intersection and the park to shoot from, but other tall buildings can be hard to shoot from street level.

Not sure how it equates to other formats, but when shooting building in the city on 11x14, I've found that my 250mm Wide Field Ektar is just about right. Only wish it had more coverage for the asinine amount of rise required!

--A

Flexnib
18-Dec-2008, 11:15
OK so I said i would not comment until friday night but things are not looking good. Forcast for heavy snow on friday, snow on sat and sunday. For me i will look out the window that morning and make my mind up. Snow on the ground might make the day interesting. There are plenty of coffe shops on our route to keep us warm as well as harder stuff if needed. Tell me what you all are thinking??
Arthur

eddie
18-Dec-2008, 15:13
OK so I said i would not comment until friday night but things are not looking good. Forcast for heavy snow on friday, snow on sat and sunday. For me i will look out the window that morning and make my mind up. Snow on the ground might make the day interesting. There are plenty of coffe shops on our route to keep us warm as well as harder stuff if needed. Tell me what you all are thinking??
Arthur

isn't there some unspoken rule that says the guy who organizes the outing must go.....no matter what?......is it friday already? :p

Flexnib
18-Dec-2008, 18:45
I am there with bells on!!! You just might mistake them for my chattering teeth.
Again my cell is 917 331 3619

Arthur

Renato Tonelli
19-Dec-2008, 10:32
Looks like I will (-expletive deleted -) be working tomorrow.

Flexnib
19-Dec-2008, 10:35
Wait and see. Could wake up tomorrow to clear skies or at the least nothing falling from them.
Arthur

MenacingTourist
19-Dec-2008, 13:10
I will be there. 8:30am at the Flatiron bldg. Bringing one friend.

Alan.

AFSmithphoto
19-Dec-2008, 15:39
I will be there, but am coming from Philly. With the weather it may be difficult to time my arrival, and I'm working late tonight so I won't be early. Please don't let me hold anyone up. I will call to see where everyone is when I get there if I'm late. I can be reached at 215-518-1687 if anyone wants to get in touch with me.

Flexnib
19-Dec-2008, 19:00
Well that makes 4 of us. Me and a friend plus AF and menacing plus 1. I will just put it out there but if Large Format is to much then bring something smaller to shoot. Makes it a little easier.

Arthur

Alex Wei
19-Dec-2008, 21:13
I will be there. 8:30am at the Flatiron bldg. Bringing one friend.

Alan.

I will try to be there at 8:30. Bring a tripod :)

Alex

John Kim
20-Dec-2008, 10:14
Did I miss out on this?

Flexnib
20-Dec-2008, 15:37
John yes you did. This morning and afternoon 7 of use braved the cold and wind. Cold but fun.
Arthur

John Kim
20-Dec-2008, 16:15
Darn it! Today, I stayed home and did nothing but read textbooks and finish up my homework.
However, I don't know how this would've worked out for me anyway; as I am only 16 years old..
-
Care to inform others, who missed out on this event, what happened?
I am somewhat interested in joining the next future event.

Alex Wei
21-Dec-2008, 13:45
Guess I am the first one to post pictures from this outing. :)

Quick scan from my whole plate negatives.

1.John & Gold
http://www.pbase.com/image/107312849.jpg

2.the Flat Thing
http://www.pbase.com/image/107312851.jpg

eddie
21-Dec-2008, 15:24
nice flat thing shot! what lens.....must have used tonnes of rise.....

AutumnJazz
21-Dec-2008, 18:48
Alex, would it be out of the question to ask for desktop-sized (2560px wide) uploads? Those are some beautiful pictures.

alec4444
21-Dec-2008, 19:31
Guess I am the first one to post pictures from this outing. :)

Well, some of us have to develop our negs & print, remember....

Oh, right, you err...."scanned your whole plate negatives"..... ;) ;)

--A

MenacingTourist
22-Dec-2008, 10:03
I always enjoy these outings. They expose me to different types of shooting and that's a good thing. The meatloaf sandwich was pretty good too.
I still need to develop my negs but the prints will need to wait a little bit.

Let's do the same trip again when it's warmer and sunny.

Alan.

Alex Wei
22-Dec-2008, 22:12
Alex, would it be out of the question to ask for desktop-sized (2560px wide) uploads? Those are some beautiful pictures.

Hi, Jazz,
no problem, but 2560 wide is a big file, where should I send to? and you have a desktop in portrait orientation?:D

Alex

Alex Wei
22-Dec-2008, 22:15
Well, some of us have to develop our negs & print, remember....

Oh, right, you err...."scanned your whole plate negatives"..... ;) ;)

--A

Hi, it's only took me an hour to do the developing, you just have to get on it, Alec:)

Give it some time, I will be slowing down a little bit. Because this format is new to me, very curious to see what the result is. Just like Eddie with his wet plate process, look how many plates he cranked out already? :)

Alex Wei
22-Dec-2008, 22:17
Let's do the same trip again when it's warmer and sunny.

Alan.

I like the words "warmer" and "sunny" :D :D

alec4444
22-Dec-2008, 22:28
Clearly you both missed the August outing, which was somewhere between the heat of the Sahara combined with the humidity of Borneo. Yikes. Agreed, more temperate weather would be a treat! :)

AutumnJazz
22-Dec-2008, 22:51
Hi, Jazz,
no problem, but 2560 wide is a big file, where should I send to? and you have a desktop in portrait orientation?:D

Alex

I know it is bad, but sometimes I crop large files, or I just live with the black on either side. If they're already up on Flickr or something, just add me as a contact--my Flickr name is AutumnJazz. :)

Thank you.

eddie
23-Dec-2008, 07:06
Clearly you both missed the August outing, which was somewhere between the heat of the Sahara combined with the humidity of Borneo. Yikes. Agreed, more temperate weather would be a treat! :)

i think we are just not a very smart bunch of LF users

(obviously we are not to smart or we would stop carrying around 10+ pound cameras and buy a small almost fit into your pocket digital camera! i mean come on, you can do EVERYTHING with a digital camera....and if not you can sit in front of your computer in a nice WARM room for hours and hours and PS the shit out of it!)

we should be making these gatherings in march and sept....NOT august and dec-jan! DOH!

so lets set up a meet for 1st weekend in april...up here in ulster county!

MenacingTourist
23-Dec-2008, 07:29
April/March upstate and Sept in nyc. I agree.

Flexnib
23-Dec-2008, 09:41
Count me in.
Have a great holiday.
Arthur

AFSmithphoto
27-Dec-2008, 14:34
Nice shots alex. Beautiful tones. Unforetunately I won't have mine developed until after the fifth, and then theres the matter of scanning them. Arg. Thanks again to all, it was great meeting everyone.

Flexnib
21-Jan-2009, 09:22
Hello All,
Here are 2 of mine. Sorry the quality is not that great but they are digital pictures of the actual prints. One was taken at the Brooklyn Bridge and the other at Madison Square Park.
Arthur