PDA

View Full Version : Need some pricing assistance

Chris623
3-Dec-2008, 07:21
Much as I hate to admit it, I haven't put my Deardorff (4x5 Special) on a tripod since the late 70's, and hadn't used it to take more than 200 images when I put it away. It's been kept in a hard case, along with it's two lenses. Guess it's time to stop coveting it and let it go to someone who will use it. I've searched everywhere I can think of and can't seem to find a good asking price for this camera. From what I've read on the Deardorff Historical site, it is in Ex/Like New condition. Where do I go to find a fair price for this camera and lenses? It's got a Graflock back. I also have a Poloroid filmpack for it that was hardly used at all.

Chris623
3-Dec-2008, 14:17
Hey, I know I'm a newbie on the forum, but I could use a little help here, please .;) Surely out of more than 100 views, someone can help. :confused:

R Mann
3-Dec-2008, 14:20
Look at Ebay completed auctions - this is a fairly common camera offered by itself and in packages.

Bryan Lemasters
3-Dec-2008, 14:25
Chris: The info you need is as close as a search through the completed listings on ebay. Here are three recent listings:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Deardorff-View-Camera-5x7-with-accessories_W0QQitemZ200280660550QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFilm_Cameras?hash=item200280660550&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A13%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318, http://cgi.ebay.com/Deardorff-5x7-camera-V5-OS-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ120336583231QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFilm_Cameras?hash=item120336583231&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A13%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318, http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-SPECIAL-DEARDORFF-4X5-VIEW-CAMERA_W0QQitemZ310101315204QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFilm_Cameras?hash=item310101315204&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A13%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Does this help?

Chris623
3-Dec-2008, 14:35
Yes, it helps. I don't know how to search e-bay, I guess. What wording did you use?

Jeremy Moore
3-Dec-2008, 14:40
"Deardorff" comes to mind. Just click the "Completed Listings" and it will show you the closing prices, too.

Chris623
3-Dec-2008, 14:50
Thanks for all the help. I've never been able to figure out how to search anything on e-Bay. I always seemed to ask the wrong questions and didn't know about the "completed" auctions selection.

I appreciate the help.

Bryan Lemasters
3-Dec-2008, 14:57
On the ebay home page click on "advanced search" beside the search box on the upper right. Click the "completed listing only" box part way down the page.

BradS
3-Dec-2008, 15:21
OK, I'll go out on a limb and offer a gut feeling opinion. I offer my opinion for free - so, take it for what it is worth.

Considering all the cheap cameras coming from China these days (and all the hype that goes with them), and considering that the Deardorff special could be had brand new untill a few years ago for around...$2500 (iirc), I'm gonna say that you could reasonably expect a older one in EX+ condition to fetch around $1500 or so.

HOWEVER (!) considering the generally dismal state of the economy right now, you may find that nobody is willing to or can come up with that kinda cash when one of those cheap chinese cameras will do the same job at about half the money...Obviously (at least to me) $800 would be a fire sale....We're talking sold in 30 minutes or less. At $2000 it's gonna rot and everybody's gonna think...well, I won't go there. So, somewhere in between seems reasonable....assuming that the thing really is in EX+ condition. If it is not, you may find it not even worth $500....but, I kinda think someplace between $800 and $1500 is in the ball park.

There are many reasons people are reluctant to offer up a price here...not least of which is that they know that the next thing you're gonna do is offer the thing for sale...and I'm guessing that many folks would be interested if the price were right. Then there is the general make up of the community to consider - we are a polite bunch and pricing and how much did it cost is still a vulgar subject...

EDIT: for the record, I have no interest in buying another camera at any (reasonable) price. The above is my honest, un-motivated opinion.

Michael Jones
3-Dec-2008, 15:30
HOWEVER (!) and considering the generally dismal state of the economy right now, you may find that nobody is willing to or can come up with that kinda cash ...

This will be the real problem. There appears to be a glut of very nice equipment on the market right now with very few takers except at fire sale prices.

and I'm guessing that many folks would be interested if the price were right.

IMHO, the right price is still one at which you feel comfortable parting with your equipment, not what someone will pay. People with cash are snapping up bargains right now. It would seem if you kept the camera for 20 years without using, you should consider holding on to it for a few more years until the economy rebounds. Otherwise, the prices on eBay reflect the current market.

Good luck and don’t have seller's remorse.

Mike

Chris623
3-Dec-2008, 15:59
There are many reasons people are reluctant to offer up a price here...not least of which is that they know that the next thing you're gonna do is offer the thing for sale...and I'm guessing that many folks would be interested if the price were right. Then there is the general make up of the community to consider - we are a polite bunch and pricing and how much did it cost is still a vulgar subject.

Just for the record, I don't think I asked for a price from anyone on the forum...........simply where I might go to get an idea of it's present worth. (for the very reason you cite.)

It would seem if you kept the camera for 20 years without using, you should consider holding on to it for a few more years until the economy rebounds. Otherwise, the prices on eBay reflect the current market.
Mike

That's some good advice, thanks.

Brian Ellis
3-Dec-2008, 22:52
My guess is that the camera alone - i.e. no lenses or accessories - is worth between $1500 and $1700. You might look at the Midwest Photo Exchange web site. They had a 4x5 Deardorff for sale there for a long long time, like over a year, with a price of about $1700 IIRC. It might still be there and would give you an idea of price if you don't find anything on ebay.

If you do decide to sell it you should carefully check the corners of the bellows for pin holes. A camera that's been sitting around as long as yours likely has developed pin holes and if a buyer has to replace the bellows that will reduce the price by about $200.

Chris623
4-Dec-2008, 07:50
Thanks, Brian, I had no idea about the pinhole aspect. I'll try and check that.

Thanks for the link, but I couldn't get any of the subtitles to show. Guess you have to sign up................and they wanted everything but the blood type of my first born just to sign up. Not doing that unless I'm buying something from them.

seawolf66
4-Dec-2008, 08:47
Why In the hell do you not just it and enjoy the fruition it brings to one:

Chris623
4-Dec-2008, 09:25
:confused: :confused: :confused:

paul08
4-Dec-2008, 21:30
That's real helpful (and almost, but not quite, intelligible).

Why In the hell do you not just it and enjoy the fruition it brings to one:

BradS
4-Dec-2008, 22:26
He's saying - keep it, use it and enjoy it.

Chris623
17-Dec-2008, 11:31
You know, I'd really enjoy doing that. But I just don't have the money, or time, to set up a darkroom. Now if someone would just donate a digital back....................:D

neil poulsen
17-Dec-2008, 11:37
Does the front standard swivel? That would make a substantial difference in the price. If the front standard doesn't swivel, it would be worth less.

Chris623
17-Dec-2008, 12:08
Yes, both front and rear. It's a Deardorff Special Deluxe.

BradS
17-Dec-2008, 16:08
You know, I'd really enjoy doing that. But I just don't have the money, or time, to set up a darkroom. Now if someone would just donate a digital back....................:D

You don't need a darkroom to use a film camera...there are still labs to process and print 4x5.

You can shoot color transparencies and scan 'em with a relatively inexpensive flat bed....lots of folks do nothing more. Some even make a living of it.

Chris623
17-Dec-2008, 16:18
You don't need a darkroom to use a film camera...there are still labs to process and print 4x5.

You can shoot color transparencies and scan 'em with a relatively inexpensive flat bed....lots of folks do nothing more. Some even make a living of it.

Of course, you are correct about having a lab process..............but I never liked that. As far as the scanner, I have a close friend who is a graphic artist and LF art photographer as well, and he claims he's never found a scanner that would produce a quality scan of a color negative...............though many would with B&W. I'd appreciate any suggestions in that area because, in the back of my mind, I guess I'll always be in love with my Deardorff!

BradS
17-Dec-2008, 17:09
Of course, you are correct about having a lab process..............but I never liked that. As far as the scanner, I have a close friend who is a graphic artist and LF art photographer as well, and he claims he's never found a scanner that would produce a quality scan of a color negative...............though many would with B&W. I'd appreciate any suggestions in that area because, in the back of my mind, I guess I'll always be in love with my Deardorff!

Well, I guess there is a trade off to be made. A compromise...is your dislike of having a lab process your film really so strong to make you let go such a beautiful and historic view camera? Would you really give up large format photography simply because you haven't a dark room and can no longer print you own?

With regard to your friends opinion of scanned film...well, it is just one person's opinion. Many people seem to be able to get decent prints from scanned 4x5 color slides. And, there are still labs that make real prints from color negs....they'll even make proofs for you -either contact sheets or neg scans. You just have to find subjects and expose film!

I mean really, are you really gonna just give up?

Chris623
17-Dec-2008, 19:27
If I hold my hands over my ears real tight, will I stop hearing the sirens? :D You guys are killin' me. I haven't touched my 4x5 since the mid 80's, but just haven't been able to force myself to sell it. Then when I'm down to my last dime and start selling everything I can get my hands on, you come along and shame me for thinking of letting my Deardorff hit the auction blocks. (keep talking, you've just about got me convinced!!!!!) :D