PDA

View Full Version : Ground Glass Protectors-dagor77

CP Goerz
2-Dec-2008, 14:22
Yesterday I got an E from someone who bought a groundglass protector from me on Ebay, it was sent with some images showing that the wood had warped. This particular batch of protectors was made with a type of masonite-like material that had better veneer than the traditional plywood ones BUT seems to curl more.

If you purchased a groundglass protector from me(dagor77) and the protector is one of that type please check to make sure it isn't curling in as it may make contact with your groundglass. If it is just send me a Jpeg and I'll get a replacement out to you. It may have been a one off that has curled to the point of causing a problem but I'd rather not take the chance with anyones groundglass/fresnel etc.

All the best,

CP Goerz/dagor77.

Bjorn Nilsson
2-Dec-2008, 14:45
Is this really "dagor77"?? The message is so ... short. :)

tim o'brien
2-Dec-2008, 15:12

I am sure there is a story behind that.

tim in san jose

CP Goerz
2-Dec-2008, 15:34
Were I discussing/espousing the wonders and delights of a Dagor I could go on..and on....;-)

John Kasaian
2-Dec-2008, 15:55
The story I heard about this ground glass protector calamity---it was on the front page of the Jerusalem Post last week IIRC--- was that the masonite used in these ground glass protectors was salvaged from the cabinetry which survived the sinking of the Andrea Doria and, had spent fifteen hours floating on the surface of the ocean before it was gathered by a Lichtenstein registry fishing boat, whose captain mistook the floating masonite for a rare species of surface dwelling halibut (there being no halibut native to Lichtenstien this was an honest mistake) and eventually the inedible masonite found it's way into a black market stall in Sardinia where it was passed off as new old stock to a visiting Ethiopian ground glass protector-maker with cataracts named Omar. The warpage was no doubt due to the fifteen hours of salt water exposure.

What a pity! :D

Kevin Crisp
2-Dec-2008, 18:00
Maybe some of the wood was from Zeiss.

Bill_1856
2-Dec-2008, 20:10

LOL! A brillian observation, Bjorn. LOL, indeed!:)

wclavey
11-Dec-2008, 11:39
The story I heard about this ground glass protector calamity---it was on the front page of the Jerusalem Post last week IIRC--- was that the masonite used in these ground glass protectors was salvaged from the cabinetry which survived the sinking of the Andrea Doria and, had spent fifteen hours floating on the surface of the ocean before it was gathered by a Lichtenstein registry fishing boat, whose captain mistook the floating masonite for a rare species of surface dwelling halibut (there being no halibut native to Lichtenstien this was an honest mistake) and eventually the inedible masonite found it's way into a black market stall in Sardinia where it was passed off as new old stock to a visiting Ethiopian ground glass protector-maker with cataracts named Omar. The warpage was no doubt due to the fifteen hours of salt water exposure.

What a pity! :D

Trained on the Peterman's Catalog?