PDA

View Full Version : Nov./Dec. View Camera

Richard K.
1-Dec-2008, 07:30
Have you received it yet? Thanks.

IanMazursky
1-Dec-2008, 07:47
Nope. And I am really looking forward to the max pyro article.
I hope it comes soon. November is gone.

john borrelli
5-Dec-2008, 19:04
I have not received my issue either.

Ron Marshall
5-Dec-2008, 19:48
Mine hasn't arrived in Chicago either; it usually is here by this time of the month.

keeds
6-Dec-2008, 06:24
Mine arrived this morning. I'm in the UK.

Ted Stoddard
6-Dec-2008, 12:04
I can not find it at Barnes & Noble yet either...

Richard K.
6-Dec-2008, 12:23
Mine arrived this morning. I'm in the UK.

Are you sure that that isn't the Sept./Oct. issue? :D

Bruce Watson
6-Dec-2008, 14:39
Mine showed up in the mail today, 06-Dec-2008, and I'm on the East Coast of the USA. Haven't had time to read it yet, but I did note it seems a bit thinner than normal.

keeds
7-Dec-2008, 01:39
Are you sure that that isn't the Sept./Oct. issue? :D

Yep, it's the one with the Max Pyro article.

Renato Tonelli
7-Dec-2008, 08:31
It has been mailed or is in the process of being mailed. A few days ago I sent View Camera an e-mail (not seeing the new issue, I thought my subscription had expired). They e-mailed back right away with the info.

ejohnson
7-Dec-2008, 09:03
The Max Pyro article has been in the Subscriber's Section since early October.

eric johnson

drew.saunders
7-Dec-2008, 11:20
I saw a stack of the Nov/Dec View Camera at my local camera store (Keeble and Shuchat in Palo Alto) yesterday.

Drew

panchro-press
7-Dec-2008, 11:37
Mine came in yesterday's post...Cleveland.

Charles Hohenstein
7-Dec-2008, 20:11
Mine isn't here yet, but I'm not concerned. It gets here when it gets here. :)

Eirik Berger
9-Dec-2008, 14:48
I got mine today, and I live in an arctic outpost close to the North pole in the North Atlantic (78 deg N). Great issue, specially the Carbon transfer part. :)

Jan Pedersen
9-Dec-2008, 15:01
Eirik, you must be the Northernmost LF shooter here? Do you have light enough to read this time of year? :rolleyes:

sanking
9-Dec-2008, 15:36
Erik,

Thanks for your kind comments about the carbon transfer part.

I am very pleased with the article, in no small part because it is a tribute to my friend Gordon Chapple who was killed, along with his wife, in a flood in a slot canyon in Utah in early September, just a few weeks after the symposium in Santa Fe.

Gordon was a wonderful carbon printer and an exceptional human being. I thank Steve Simmons for giving me the opportunity to write this piece, which means more to me than any article I have ever published.

Sandy King

I got mine today, and I live in an arctic outpost close to the North pole in the North Atlantic (78 deg N). Great issue, specially the Carbon transfer part. :)

Eirik Berger
9-Dec-2008, 15:42
Yes, as long as I stay indoors there is plenty of light :). The dark season is made for reading, developing and printing. It is completely dark 24 hours a day at the moment so field work (photography) will have to wait a month or two.

And since I started my adventure in the carbon transfer process 6 months ago I have been busy reading, experimenting and throwing frustrations over at the B&S forum. Luckily they are very helpful and welcoming. I never stop to be fascinated how the Internet helps out the few of us who share common interests. Even if you are located in the middle of nowhere you can partispate and learn from other peoples experiences, even if they are located on the other side of earth.

There are not many users of film on the island, if any. And large format users are a rare breed among photographers in Norway. And carbon printers? Well, I have experienced that when I tell (fellow photographers) my images are "carbon prints" they respond that it is good that I have chosen archival pigment ink in my prints. Arghh. Of topic I know, but I just had to say.

Eirik, you must be the Northernmost LF shooter here? Do you have light enough to read this time of year? :rolleyes:

Eirik Berger
9-Dec-2008, 15:48
Sandy,

I really wish that I knew Gordon Chapple. And learning more about his aproach to carbon printing, using several colors. Specially the part using silver pigments interested me. May he rest in piece and his skills in carbon be tranfered to others. I think he would like that.

The only sad thing about living over here is that it is a really long journey for me to meet other carbon printers. I will not be able to go to Santa Fe (APIS) next year, but I hope I will have the opportunity to attend to a workshop or symposium and to meet carbon printers in real life, not just through an internet forum. Even if that is very useful.

Erik,

I am very pleased with the article, in no small part because it is a tribute to my friend Gordon Chapple who was killed, along with his wife, in a flood in a slot canyon in Utah in early September, just a few weeks after the symposium in Santa Fe.

Gordon was a wonderful carbon printer and an exceptional human being. I thank Steve Simmons for giving me the opportunity to write this piece, which means more to me than any article I have ever published.

Sandy King

Charles Hohenstein
9-Dec-2008, 19:06
Mine came today. I thought that the dryplate article was very interesting, and I'm looking forward to reading Sandy's article. Now, if we could only teach Steve Simmons to proofread. :)

clay harmon
9-Dec-2008, 19:27
Waht? I didnt notise anithyng.

Mine came today. I thought that the dryplate article was very interesting, and I'm looking forward to reading Sandy's article. Now, if we could only teach Steve Simmons to proofread. :)

Paul Kierstead
9-Dec-2008, 19:40
The carbon article makes me really want to see a carbon print in person, especially the one printed on aluminum.

Jim Graves
10-Dec-2008, 01:36
I'm looking forward to Vaughn Hutchins' carbon printing workshop at the Ansel Adams Gallery this coming April ... 5 days in Yosemite ... can't beat that!

http://www.anseladams.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2263

Mark Sawyer
10-Dec-2008, 08:07
I got mine in Tucson, AZ in yesterday's mail. It was worth the wait.

Louie Powell
10-Dec-2008, 10:20
Received in upstate NY today, 12/10. Same number of pages as last issue.

redrockcoulee
10-Dec-2008, 14:30
Mine arrived in Alberta today. Every year I get this letter asking me to send more money. What's with that :)

Thanks Rob, cheque will be in the mail.

CG
10-Dec-2008, 15:32
Got mine yesterday in NH.

C

Vaughn
10-Dec-2008, 17:01
Mine arrived today (far northern California)!

Vaughn

PS... Thank you for the shout-out, Jim! I, too, am looking forward to the workshop. What an opportunity to share an incredible process! Not to forget to mention an incredible place at a great time of year!

Charles Hohenstein
10-Dec-2008, 20:37
I read Sandy's article today and really enjoyed it. I would love to have the opportunity to see some carbon prints and other alternative process work in person--I'm sure that magazine illustrations don't do them justice.

sanking
10-Dec-2008, 21:11
You guys should have a very good learning experience. Vaughn is a great carbon printer, and has a real good sense of humor. Please give us a report on the workshop.

BTW, I will be conducting a carbon workshop, together with an exhibition of carbon prints of images made in Mexico, in Jalapa, Mexico, in May 2009.

Jalapa is a beautiful city in the province of Vera Cruz, near the center of the Olmec culture (those real big heads!!). The city is at high elevation so even though very far south the climate is always on the cool side.

If you might be interested in participating, please contact me by pm.

Best,

Sandy

I'm looking forward to Vaughn Hutchins' carbon printing workshop at the Ansel Adams Gallery this coming April ... 5 days in Yosemite ... can't beat that!

http://www.anseladams.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2263

Jim Fitzgerald
10-Dec-2008, 22:59
Erik,

Sandy King

Sandy, I don't have a subscription to View Camera at the present time but I know that the article must be stellar! I had one opportunity to speak with Gordon Chapple for about two hours about carbon printing. He was as kind and giving a person as you could ever meet. He invited me up to his home to see his entire 11x14 set up. I never got the chance to see him or his working environment. In the short time I spoke with Gordon I felt a connection with him. I am glad that this article was published not only about this great process but about the great artists who contributed, especially Gordon. A great tribute.

Jim

Jim Fitzgerald
10-Dec-2008, 23:06
Mine arrived today (far northern California)!

Vaughn

PS... Thank you for the shout-out, Jim! I, too, am looking forward to the workshop. What an opportunity to share an incredible process! Not to forget to mention an incredible place at a great time of year!

I can add that if anyone is interested in learning this very addictive process you should take this workshop with Vaughn. I saw Vaughn's images on this site and asked him many, many questions about the process which he was more than helpful in explaining things to me. He is a great teacher and when you see his prints in person you will be amazed. I sat on the steps of the Ansel Adams Gallery in February of this year with Vaughn looking at his prints and my carbon journey started when I saw his first print. The bonus is that Yosemite is a great place to be for additional inspiration.

Jim

Bruce Barlow
11-Dec-2008, 04:39
For any of those om the fence about Vaughn's carbon workshop, I can attest that seeing his carbon prints is an amazing experience - they are three dimensional and almost a tactile experience!

Even my then-young son remembers them from when we met Vaughn in Santa Fe more years ago than I want to recall. And my own memory of seeing his prints is still strong.

If you are interested, go to his workshop!

ejohnson
11-Dec-2008, 07:52
As someone who is a rookie at lf I have enjoyed the beginner's series in the last two issues and the supplements added to the subscriber's section. I check the site a couple of times a week and there is always something new added there.

eric

Don Hutton
11-Dec-2008, 07:58
As someone who is a rookie at lf I have enjoyed the beginner's series in the last two issues and the supplements added to the subscriber's section. I check the site a couple of times a week and there is always something new added there.

ericLeave it alone Simmons - you're making an ass of yourself again.

Don7x17
11-Dec-2008, 10:38

eric

Which subscribers section are you looking at? Sure its updated occassionally, but not a couple of times a week which is what your post implies.

Say, Steve, could you please post the additional photographs promised as additional content in the subscribers section in the "Flash" Miteff article in the September-October issue? (and if you've posted since Dec 1, I'm still awaiting my subscription issue so I can access the subscriber section. Maybe in today's mail out here on the west coast????)

dwross
11-Dec-2008, 10:41

Hi Charles,

I'm very glad to hear you liked the dry plate article. Thank you. It's hard to know how to get people interested in a craft that hasn't been widely practiced for a very long time. I hope your interest is piqued enough to consider giving handcrafted silver gelatin emulsions (dry plate or paper) a try someday. I can't think of a better excuse to keep the big cameras and darkrooms around for another hundred-plus years.

And, although carbon printing is serious competition for silver gelatin (:) ), I'll add my praise for Vaughn's prints. As with most photography, the tangible object, with its characteristics that are process-unique, is as much a part of the beauty as the image.

Happy Photo'ing,
Denise Ross
www.thelightfarm.com

IanG
11-Dec-2008, 14:03
The Max Pyro article has been in the Subscriber's Section since early October.

eric johnson

Hi Steve (Simmons) of View Camera

Why on earth are you hiding behind a Mask. You can post under your own name we won't bite that hard.

We might criticise, throw all sorts of insults at you but be a man and just take it and bounce back.

Ian

Vaughn
11-Dec-2008, 14:18
I read Sandy's article today and really enjoyed it. I would love to have the opportunity to see some carbon prints and other alternative process work in person--I'm sure that magazine illustrations don't do them justice.

If you, or anyone else, happen to be traveling behind the Redwood Curtain (aka Humboldt County), feel free to look me up -- always more than happy to bring out the prints...they get lonely in those dark boxes!:)

Vaughn

Ted Stoddard
11-Dec-2008, 14:23
Well I picked up mine today after receiving a phone call last night from my magazine guy at B&N... I read almost every Article inside it waiting to pick up my kids at school... I can say one of the best if not the best VC mag I have seen... Sandy great article I am looking forward very much to the Vaughn workshop at AA Gallery, in April... I hope I can make it... I been wanting to do this process for a very long time... The Carbon Prints just made me drool with envy.... All the images were stunning, I also have seen Vaughn's images before and that really got me into doing more Alt. Processes but doing them with my own negs will be a sweet beginning to 2009... Thanks for all the inspiration guys....

Leonard Evens
12-Dec-2008, 09:20
I still haven't got my copy.

BrianShaw
12-Dec-2008, 09:42
Me neither. Like every issue, I read so much about it in these threads that when the magazine finally arrives it is much less exciting to read.

Alex Wei
12-Dec-2008, 13:29
Mine is not here also. Got have patient. I didn't read this post very carefully, so that I still can enjoy the magazine.

Don7x17
12-Dec-2008, 14:45
Mine came last night.

Excellent issue.

If you are wanting to read it earlier than the snailmail copy, consider Steve's option to add a $10.00 international subscription (online access!). You'll see it at the start of the subscription month, online.

PViapiano
12-Dec-2008, 17:42
Why don't they just skip an issue and call it Jan/Feb 2009?

BrianShaw
12-Dec-2008, 17:47
It pays to complain (post #42)... mine arrived today.

Jan Pedersen
12-Dec-2008, 17:49
It pays to complain (post #42)... mine arrived today.

It pays to keep quiet, mine came yesterday ;)

Jim Graves
12-Dec-2008, 19:33
Yeah ... mine arrived in Sacramento yesterday ... on this class mailing (media mail or 3d class) I believe each post office is allowed to use their own time schedule depending on volume/weight/etc. in the waiting line. Holiday times are the worst.

If you really want to pay a lot and use 1st Class rates, the service is quicker ... not worth it to me ... I kind of like reading all the posts, speculation, reviews, etc. before mine arrives in the box.

BrianShaw
12-Dec-2008, 19:45

I'll remember that! :)

Andrew O'Neill
12-Dec-2008, 21:56
Better get my butt over to the local rag shop before their all gone.

Charles Hohenstein
13-Dec-2008, 17:14
Why don't they just skip an issue and call it Jan/Feb 2009?

I think that's a very sensible suggestion.

aduncanson
22-Dec-2008, 14:29

Keeping quiet hasn't worked for me. I paid for a subscription in August and hoped to receive the September/October issue. When I inquired about it in November they told me that I would receive the November/December issue unless I wanted them to take some special action. Waiting was OK by me, up to a point.

Is anybody else still waiting, or is it time for me to inquire again?

Thanks - Alan

sanking
22-Dec-2008, 14:48
I receiver my copy about 10 days ago. Typically it takes about 5-7 weeks for me to get the magazine from the first day of the first month of the issue. I would expect arrival of the Nov/Dec issue between December 7-21. By those standards the Nov/Dec issue arrived about on time, maybe a bit early.

Sandy King

Better get my butt over to the local rag shop before their all gone.

Eric Woodbury
22-Dec-2008, 14:55
As of last Friday, the Sept/Oct is still on display (and plenty of them) in Santa Barbara.

IanMazursky
22-Dec-2008, 15:32
Haven't got mine yet. Still angrily waiting.

David Vickery
22-Dec-2008, 17:13
I don't have mine yet either. Maybe it will show up next month.

My post office seems to enjoy giving me other people's mail. I wonder what they get of mine.

eddie
22-Dec-2008, 17:18
my local B&N says they have two....but i found none! which one of you pocketed the last two copies?

seawolf66
22-Dec-2008, 18:41
Hum! Strange I have had mine over a week now : in Ma.

Daniel Grenier
12-Jan-2009, 10:21
Well, here we are January 12th and the Sept/Oct issue is still on display at my local bookstore (Chapters). Nov/Dec has not made it yet... let alone Jan/Feb 09! I've never seen this with VC mag.

aduncanson
12-Jan-2009, 10:54
I finally complained on 12/31 and they sent right out a replacement copy with $2.10 in postage on the envelope. No more complaints from me.

BrianShaw
12-Jan-2009, 11:48
I finally complained on 12/31 and they sent right out a replacement copy with $2.10 in postage on the envelope. No more complaints from me.

I came to this conclusion, also, the middle of last year when I contacted VC about a magazine that appears to have disappeared in delivery. Steve and Andrea really do go out of their way to rectify problems... all it takes is a phone call or email message!