PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO CLEAN LF CAMERA METAL PARTS

Jeff Buckels
5-Jun-2001, 00:16
Hi. I need to clean up the hardware on a Deardorf. The movements all work, etc ., but the nickle-plated-brass metal parts are variously dirty, with a few small areas of minor corrosion, and the inside of the big "U" frame that holds the fr ont standard has a thin layer of rust. I can put a buffing wheel or something s imilar on my hand drill and buff, but what else? Are there any solvents, for ex ample, that would be good? I don't want to get into any grinding (anything coar ser than a buffing wheel), because the parts do work and I don't want to change their shapes. Any suggestions? I know this is just Elementary Shop Class. Hum or me, as I don't mean any harm. Thanks. -jeff buckels (albuquerque)

Brian Ellis
5-Jun-2001, 00:43
I'd talk with Ken Hough and see what he suggests. He also has information on a web site about maintenance of Deardorff cameras. Unfortunately I don't have his phone number or the web site URL at hand. Possibly someone else can furnish them. If not, send me an e mail and I'll dig out the phone number. I spoke with him numerous times when I first bought my Deardorff and he was very nice and very helpful.

Martin_1505
5-Jun-2001, 02:56
Here is the adress:

http://members.nbci.com/Deardorffcam/indexa.html

martin

Doug Paramore
5-Jun-2001, 09:50
Jeff: I have had good results using #0000 steel wool and a little soapy water. Rub gently and take your time. The steel wool is so fine it won't scratch metal unless you really bear down on it. A soft rag or Q-Tip moistened with alcohol or soapy water will work to remove grime.

Regards,

Scott Walton
5-Jun-2001, 10:12
I agree with Doug, alcohol works really well and if you have some film cleaner, even better because it puts down a light lube. I use it to clean my shutters also and it works great.

Michael S. Briggs
5-Jun-2001, 11:59
For light corrosion, the product Nevr-Dull works well and is less likely to caus e damage than more aggresive means like powered buffing or steel wool. I sugges t using it first, than switching to a more aggresive approach only if needed. Y ou can find it at good hardware stores and automotive stores. See http://www.ne vrdull.com/

Keith Pitman
5-Jun-2001, 13:22
I'd test this first, but I've had good luck with a mildly abrasive metal polish called "Flitz" on other applications. I got it from a woodworking supplier (Bridge City Toolworks) a few years ago to polish brass on tools.

Jeff Buckels
5-Jun-2001, 13:52
I followed Mr. Ellis' suggestion and spoke to Ken Hough about this. His advice was to use a worn-out scotch-brite pad and mineral oil. He said that almost any kind of metal cleaning product could harm the wood, whereas mineral oil would not and would actually strengthen the wood a bit. -jb

emo supremo
28-Mar-2009, 14:33
I'd like to BUMP this back up to the fore bec I did an advanced search, "how to clean a camera" got this one hit and the url http://members.nbci.com/Deardorffcam/indexa.html
is no longer active. Any experience with this that is recent?

Archphoto
28-Mar-2009, 15:36
One item could do a lot of work for you: a Dremel (or is it Dremmel ?), one of those hobby tools with various attachments, like wire brushes, polishing wheels and so on.
Check your local hardware store.

Over in Europe they sell look-a-likes for € 15,- for a complete kit.
I have several of them from tiny to more powerfull, the Proxxon range is great in that respect.

Peter:D

walter23
28-Mar-2009, 15:44
Yeah, I found a Canadian Tire store-brand knockoff of a dremel for like $15. Another $15 for a huge bit set (have used lots of cutting disks and polishing tools out of it so it was worth it).