PDA

View Full Version : Ray McSavaney - lecture and book signing - Santa Monica

QT Luong
27-Nov-2008, 17:00
Ray McSavaney (http://www.tgartworks.com/raymcsavaney) will give a free lecture and gallery walk, followed by a book signing session for his superb (and award-winning) "Explorations" on Saturday, December 6, 2008. From 5 to 8 PM.

TERRA GALLERIA ARTWORKS
Bergamot Station, 2525 Michigan Avenue, T-1B.
Santa Monica, CA 90404. (310)-453-5104
www.TGartworks.com

walter23
27-Nov-2008, 18:33
Man, this guy is amazing. If I was anywhere near there...

Brian Ellis
27-Nov-2008, 20:56
I bought the book after attending Ray's joint workshop with John Sexton. I must have 100 or so photography books of one sort or another (not "how to do" books, biographies, photos, essays, etc.) and Ray's is one of my two or three favorites. Ray isn't the most dynamic speaker you'll ever hear but he's a very very interesting person and don't miss the chance to get the book if you attend the lecture (or even if you don't attend the lecture).

Michael Jones
8-Dec-2008, 07:41
What Brian said.

Several years ago (well, more than several), I was on the Board of a Photography school. We had rotating exhibits and famous guest lecturers and I have to say that an exhibit of Ray's work was absolutely a highpoint. His work is quietly powerful and enveloping. If you can't see his prints, his book (IMHO) should be in your collection.

Mike

PViapiano
8-Dec-2008, 08:38
Did anyone go to the lecture?

I want to hear about it!

QT Luong
8-Dec-2008, 15:27
We didn't go (my wife had a persistent cold), but it seems like the attendance was quite a bit lighter than for the reception (http://www.tgartworks.com/viewpoint-exhibition.html). This surprised me. I don't know about you, but for me, given the choice, I'd much rather attend a lecture/gallery walk than a reception. Both events were equally promoted.

David Karp
8-Dec-2008, 17:05
I would have been there, except for the fact that I am inundated by end of the semester stuff, and other end of the year activities. My plan was to go, but I could not make it. Lucky for those who attended though, more personal attention.

PViapiano
22-Dec-2008, 10:38
I went to Terra Gallery a few days ago to see the exhibit and they were closed...supposed to be open during the hours I was there, and it was closed. Very disappointing since I drove 30 miles. I could only see a few images through the window :-(

At least the Craig Krull gallery was open and I saw 47 beautiful images by Michael Kenna. Highly recommended....!!!!