PDA

View Full Version : graphic view question

matt9078
24-Nov-2008, 17:25
Hi all, I've been following all the posts and now I need some help. Just bought a graphic view 1 for 50 bucks so i have a little $ to play with here. Question is , it didn't come with a lens board or a lens. I aim to do mostly landscape and I needed to know what size board I need and what lens would be best for me. Thanks.
Oh forgot it is a 4x5 camera

Bill_1856
24-Nov-2008, 17:50
The Graphic View has a flat, square lens board 4" x 4", beveled on one edge. This is a pretty standard size for many 4x5 view cameras, and should be easy to find.
There are actually three different boards made for the GV: 1) the standard flat board, 2) a recessed board for wide-angle lenses (under 4" focal length), and 3) an adapter board which allows boards from Pacemaker Graphics to be used.
It is also easy to make your own board out of Masonite, just file a slight bevel into one edge.
I don't think that you will know for sure what lens you will need until you have used the camera for a while. So, I'd recommend that you get a "standard" 135mm lens, such as a Raptar or Xenar. This will give you a slight wide-angle perspective and they are available CHEAP! For a little more you could get a Schneider Symmar, which can convert into a longer lens.
It's a GREAT camera! Have fun -- you may never need to buy another view camera, I used my first one for over 30 years before foolishly trading it for a Linhof.

Bill L.
24-Nov-2008, 17:54
Seconded on the 4x4 board. If I recall, it is the same board as the pre-anniversary Speed Graphics (NOT the newer ones unless you have the adapter board as noted). Also, you are limited to 300mm bellows draw, so the lens will have to be shorter than that. I started on one with a 120 mm super angulon, which I absolutely loved. I've since gone to a field camera, however, which is much easier for hauling in the woods. Other than that, it is a beautiful camera.

Cheers!
Bill

Bill L.
24-Nov-2008, 17:54
Oh, and if you haven't found it, check out www.graflex.org

Bill

matt9078
24-Nov-2008, 18:23
Thanks all, yes I've been to the graphlex site it's great. I've also been thinking of getting a fuji quick load. Will that work in my GV? tks

jnantz
24-Nov-2008, 20:34
hi matt

equinoxphotographic.com has the lensboards for 15$ each.
they are listed on the website under "large format" ...

good luck!

john

Ernest Purdum
26-Nov-2008, 17:12
I'm going to disagree with Bill about the "standard" 135mm lenses. These have f4.5 apertures which gives a nice and bright image, but the coverage is too limited to enable Matt to find out what view camera movements can do for him. The Graphic View, when fitted with a lens with a good image circle, can combine with a good book to get him off to a good start. Watching the image disappear from the groundglass is frustrating.

Bill_1856
26-Nov-2008, 17:42
I'm going to disagree with Bill about the "standard" 135mm lenses. These have f4.5 apertures which gives a nice and bright image, but the coverage is too limited to enable Matt to find out what view camera movements can do for him. The Graphic View, when fitted with a lens with a good image circle, can combine with a good book to get him off to a good start. Watching the image disappear from the groundglass is frustrating.

He indicated that he's going to be doing landscape (not products). For that all you need is a teeny-tiny bit of front tilt/shirt/swing -- a 135mm Raptar should do fine.

John Kasaian
26-Nov-2008, 17:44
The lensboard is also known as a graphic "c" board (if you come across an original graphic board it will have a "c" embossed on the backside) BTW, I've seen some 203mm Ektars going for under $200 and that's a real steal for a first lens :) Other nifty "first" lenses you might consider are the 162mm Wollensak Velostigmat series II/Raptar or the 215mm Ilex Acuton/Paragon/Caltar. If you "have" to have a 135mm the Kodak 135mm Wide Field will give you generous coverage but they're seldom inexpensive.

A 135mm Raptar is an excellent press camera lens often found on Crown Graphics. It will certainly cover 4x5 with a little wiggle room and they don't go for much $$ but for a first lens on a monorail I have to agree with Ernest that a generous circle will give you a better idea of what a view camera can really accomplish in the way of perspective control (you cannot however tie the bellows in a knot and get a photograph, in spite of those old Linhof advertisements.)

135mm also seems to me too wide for a "grand view" landscape and better suited for more intimate outdoor subjects. ymmv of course but an awful lot of excellent landscapes have been taken with 210mm and they are quite reasonable on the used market so I'd suggest considering a 210-"ish" as a first lens for the best bang for your buck.

Oh my, am I rambling on here or what??