not brievity

fwiw...

Annie M.
21-Nov-2008, 16:35
correct...

as everyone knows brievity is a small piece of cheese

BrianShaw
21-Nov-2008, 16:45
Well, I'm certainly glad that is settled!

adrian tyler
22-Nov-2008, 12:59
¿de qué habla usted?

Preston
22-Nov-2008, 14:00
Michael, Are you hinting that we need a 'Spelling and Grammar" forum here? :)

-P

Jim Graves
22-Nov-2008, 22:30
I think this discussion should be moved to the Lounge.

Rodney Polden
23-Nov-2008, 00:37
Michael, Are you hinting that we need a 'Spelling and Grammar" forum here? :)

-P

No no no, not a "Spelling & Grammar Forum" - something more like a "Global War On Spelling and Grammar".

I mean that's BOUND to work, right? :)

Joanna Carter
23-Nov-2008, 04:08
No no no, not a "Spelling & Grammar Forum" - something more like a "Global War On Spelling and Grammar".

I mean that's BOUND to work, right? :)
You mean something like a "Shack and Owe" approach :rolleyes:

Dan Fromm
23-Nov-2008, 06:43
l*e*v*i*t*y

Michael Roberts
24-Nov-2008, 07:31
No, I was hinting the word was misspelled on the home page. I had earlier pm'd about this and been ignored, so I posted on the feedback forum. Should have included a reference to the homepage; sorry to be obtuse. In any event, the homepage has been corrected. Thanks! One less minor irritant with my morning coffee....

BrianShaw
24-Nov-2008, 07:40
One less minor irritant with my morning coffee....

Thank God life is offering only MINOR irritants these days! It could be (and probably has been, and will be) worse! :)

Bobf
25-Nov-2008, 08:01
I feel your pain. One can't do it on this forum but on another I have often put a thread on ignore simply because I could not bear seeing its misspelt title appear in the "New Posts" listing any more. Of course, I never make such mishtakes...

Annie M.
25-Nov-2008, 09:01
incorrect...

i-t-'-s not i-t-s

Ole Tjugen
25-Nov-2008, 10:48
incorrect...

i-t-'-s not i-t-s

If you are referring to the post immediately above yours, you're wrong: It's correctly spelled its in that case. It's an abbreviation for "it is", where the apostrophe replaces the missing i.

Annie M.
25-Nov-2008, 10:57
i's wrong... it's true!

BrianShaw
25-Nov-2008, 11:42
We all know that 'mishtakes' was a joke, but for the grammarians amongst us (or is that 'among' us)... is 'misspelt' possibly 'misspelled'?

Jim Ewins
25-Nov-2008, 21:24
No, it's the book the priest reads all the time

clay harmon
25-Nov-2008, 22:06
MissPelt was the Neanderthal hot Euro babe of the year of 75,000 BCE. She likes any fresh fruit and loves to cuddle. Her saber toothed kitten is named Blinky. She's a Pisces and loves long walks in the woods looking for fresh animal kills.

Bobf
26-Nov-2008, 06:58
We all know that 'mishtakes' was a joke, but for the grammarians amongst us (or is that 'among' us)... is 'misspelt' possibly 'misspelled'?
From the OED:

misspelt

Badly or incorrectly spelt.
a1762 LADY M. W. MONTAGU in R. Dodsley Coll. Poems (1763) I. 98 And lines mis-spelt record my lover's flame. 1838 N. HAWTHORNE Chippings in Twice-told Tales, Some [of the monuments] were inscribed with misspelt prose or rhyme. 1864 W. LEWINS Her Majesty's Mails 204 The ‘blind Letter Office’ is the receptacle for all illegible, misspelt, and misdirected or insufficiently addressed letters or packets. 1959 P. LARKIN Let. 19 Jan. in Sel. Lett. (1992) 298 A tiresome & uneducated girl I was slightly acquainted with in 1944 has sent an envelope full of tripey misspelt poems. 1990 K. CONLON Distant Relations 132 A run-down suburb: shops boarded-up, mis-spelt graffiti everywhere.

British English seems to prefer "misspelt" to "misspelled" although both are considered valid. For me, "misspelt" trips easier off the tongue (and fingers) than "misspelled", which sounds a little cumbersome - but that's just a question of which version one is used to (or rather: "the version to which one is used"; can't have prepositions hanging out there at the end of a sentence! ;)) .

Oh, BTW, the OED has this to say on among/amongst:

amongst

Forms: 3-4 amanges, (amongus), 4-6 amonges, 5 -is, -ys, 5-7 amongs, 6 amongest(e, 6- amongst, 'mongst. Northern 3-6 amanges, 5-7 amangs, 7 amangst. Also 5 emanges, -ez, emongis, 6 emonges, emongs, emongest(e. [f. AMONG (amang, emong) with adverbial genitive -es, as in besides, betimes, in 16th c. corrupted to -st, by form-assoc. with superlatives, cf. agains(t, amids(t.]

Less usual in the primary local sense than among, and, when so used, generally implying dispersion, intermixture, or shifting position.

(Guess whose local Library card number gives him free access to the on-line version of the OED? ;) )

Rodney Polden
26-Nov-2008, 14:28
"the version to which one is used"; can't have prepositions hanging out there at the end of a sentence! ;)) .

;) )

I believe Winston Churchill put it best when he fulminated against "prepositions hanging out there at the end of a sentence", and thundered "That is the kind of language up with which I will not put!"

Oh yeah, while we're (sort of) on the subject, what exactly is "British English"? Is that the same thing that we used to call English....

Struan Gray
27-Nov-2008, 07:04
I believe Winston Churchill put it best when he fulminated against "prepositions hanging out there at the end of a sentence", and thundered "That is the kind of language up with which I will not put!"

"put" in this case, acting as a particle, not a preposition. So Winnie was just blustering.

My own pet peeve is the way that "decimate" has been perverted from meaning a reduction by ten percent, to a reduction to ten percent. Newscasters seem to love using the word when a group is nearly destroyed or wiped out, and to my surprise and shame I often find myself putting down my meds box to wave my stick at the TV and shout at them there is still 90% left after decimation you idiot etc etc.

Don't get me started on 'quantum'.

Toyon
27-Nov-2008, 09:46
"put" in this case, acting as a particle, not a preposition. So Winnie was just blustering.

My own pet peeve is the way that "decimate" has been perverted from meaning a reduction by ten percent, to a reduction to ten percent. Newscasters seem to love using the word when a group is nearly destroyed or wiped out, and to my surprise and shame I often find myself putting down my meds box to wave my stick at the TV and shout at them there is still 90% left after decimation you idiot etc etc.

Don't get me started on 'quantum'.

How about the misuse of "enormity" for very large? However, I knew it was a losing battle when I heard a BBC reporter state that he witnessed an "incredulous" explosion.

Bobf
27-Nov-2008, 09:46
Churchill? Bluster? Surely not?