PDA

View Full Version : Spherical objects in single-source light

Heroique
19-Nov-2008, 13:37
Few photo subjects appear more 3-D to me than spherical objects modeled in single-source light.

Here’s a boulder that rolled into my shot high-up in the Bitterroot Mountains of Northern Idaho. It stopped between some giant cedars in a photogenic way. Must have seen me with a camera. ;)

The sunlight was harsh – and cloudless skies meant no softening until well after my departure. So the highlights are a bit blown. (At least I wasn’t using Velvia-50!)

Nonetheless, I think the modeling makes the boulder look poised to roll out of the photo…

Perhaps you have a round subject with more-even modeling?

Tachi 4x5
Schneider XL 110mm/5.6
Fuji Velvia-100F Quickload (shot ISO 100)
1 sec. @ f16
Leveled camera w/ 5mm front fall
Epson 4990

Heroique
20-Nov-2008, 13:02
A quick note of natural history about this scene.

I’ve learned this boulder is, very likely, a “glacial erratic” – or rock transported down from Canada and abandoned here in N. Idaho by the giant continental glaciers that eventually retreated about 10,000 years ago. The rough-and-tumble journey probably sculpted its spherical form. (Nature experts may wish to add more.)

Makes me think Mother Nature is playing marbles with a very slow-ticking geological game clock.

Quite fascinating, the stories behind natural scenes captured and displayed in this forum with LF technique…